• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    So I have set my mind to doing a few things to get healthier.

First, put down the coffin nails for good.

Second, get in better shape, wanna get built more.

Third, plan to run the mini next year and want to do a Triathlon.

1.) I just need to run out and stay out. That one will be a mind over matter thing. I have quit before, but get weak and start again.
    2.) I would love to have someone write me a fitness/lifting regimen... If anyone has some insight and is willing to help me with this, I would appreciate it!
    3.) Currently I can run about 5 miles, and do alright biking.. Just gotta train more, and that will come with time.

If anyone has any tips for any of these, I would appreciate the help. Im really missing being in shape like I was before marriage. Haha!

-MColford

HatTrix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Kokomo
    There is no such thing as generalized fitness. If you are looking for strength training you will get many responses pointing you to Mark Rippetoe and Starting Strength. He has both a book and a wiki page. Of course diet play a role, to get stronger you can try eating 500 calories over your basal metabolic maintenance.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Are you joining a gym? How many times a week are you willing to work out?

What kind of shape are you in now?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Are you joining a gym? How many times a week are you willing to work out?

What kind of shape are you in now?

Good questions.

Joining a gym doesnt do much, you actually have to go there and workout.

I have my own gym at home so I have no excuses not to use it 6 days a week.

To the OP, how many push ups in a row can you do until you cant do no more?
    I think it's a common thing to judge someone's shape.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    MColford, if you do nothing that you've talked about but one thing -- stop smoking. 100% for ever.

You Are What You Eat is an excellent book where you'll find help in setting (and following!) nutritional guidelines.

Your exercise regimen, as others have suggested, is highly individual. Personally, I don't belong to a gym. I follow my modest fitness regimen at home, using a few basic pieces of equipment. Running provides my cardio workout. Pushups, sit-ups, pull-ups, etc. -- you know, just the basics -- provide my strength-building.

If you're currently running five miles, that should satisfy the daily recommended minimum cardio workout of thirty-minutes duration. From there, you only need to moderate your daily calorie intake and see that your diet is balanced nutritionally. Beyond that, add in whatever strength-building exercises you like.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    There is a book by Bill Phillips called "Body for Life". It's a balanced program that anyone can follow. It adapts as you do and I had amazing results with it. I had never followed an exercise program in my life (except in basic training, argh). It gives you a template to follow for exercising and good information on how to eat "clean".

Good luck and congratulations on stopping smoking. I think the key to being successful at almost anything is realizing that everything you do is a choice. You control yourself; things and situations do not control you.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Good questions.

Joining a gym doesnt do much, you actually have to go there and workout.

I have my own gym at home so I have no excuses not to use it 6 days a week.

To the OP, how many push ups in a row can you do until you cant do no more?
    I think it's a common thing to judge someone's shape.

Pushups are nothing. Pullups are chinups are a better way to judge strength. Better yet, squats and deadlifts determines how much of a man you are.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    POushups... I can do 50-60 straight without a break before I need one. Squats, I just maxed at 235/set of 10. What I am really aiming for is losing the gut and building up my upper body. I have basic weight equipment at home, and we have a full gym at work, so I really have no excuse other than laziness. I just gotta get a set program and stick to it.

I know the changes wont come over night, its gonna take time.. And that is fine, I am willing to work at it.

-MColford

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I lost 50 lbs in 90 days with P90X. People give it crap but if you do it daily and follow the diet it works. It's simple because you literally just hit play every night, do what they do, then you are done. There are two diet plans with it so you can pick which is easier. I ate tons of food and felt full all the time. 50lbs in 3 months is pretty incredible I thought.

I've moved on to other things from there, but if you are already somewhat fit (you are way above me) you'll have no problem as P90X is for someone is is already on the fitness path. You can find cheap versions on Craigslist. Only real workout equipment you need is dumbells or stretchy bands and a pull-up bar.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I lost 50 lbs in 90 days with P90X. People give it crap but if you do it daily and follow the diet it works. It's simple because you literally just hit play every night, do what they do, then you are done. There are two diet plans with it so you can pick which is easier. I ate tons of food and felt full all the time. 50lbs in 3 months is pretty incredible I thought.
    50 lbs in 3 months is AWESOME.

I'll second the P90X recommendation. I've been doing it for 2 years. It's a great set of workouts, and I've been known to buy it for people who needed it -- that's how much I believe in it.

I've also bought other workout videos to mix it up, and I would recommend Supreme 90 Day for someone who's on a tight budget. It does not have the production value that P90X does, but it's only $20 at Wal Mart. The main issue you'll find with it is that for the resistance workouts you'll need to keep the remote handy to pause the video. They run through the sets like they're trying to win a race. You'll need to be a strict critic of your own form too, because they play fast and loose with it. Slow down, pause the video, do the exercises right, and you'll get a great workout.

P90X is THOROUGH. Supreme 90 Day is CHEAP and FAST.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    So you can run 5-6 miles no problem, do 50-60 consecutive push-ups, and squat 235 x 10? If so you're in better shape than about 95% of the country.

If you want to lose your gut then you need to focus on your diet and consistency of doing cardio training. You can do cardio everyday, or even twice a day, or combine it with strength training. Do strength training and then cardio afterward.

The problem you're going to run into is anyone who could get you a good program written up can't effectively do it over the internet, and if they wanted to try who would wanna do it for free? People in the field have paid thousands to gain the knowledge they have and don't give it away for free.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I know Im going to have a problem with getting someone to write a lifting regimen over the internet, as they cant be right there to evaluate me, and put the focus where I need it. As fa as payemnt, I understand that as well, I know if I had paid money to get an education in the field I would expect payment for the service to help as well.

-MColford

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    One thing to remember is this. Everyones body reacts differently to certain exercises. Me for exmaple, when I weight train, I do a full body workout, and I do not rest. I go from one exercise to another. It helps to get my heart rate up. It works really well for me to gain strength and endurance. However, it may not work for you. I say experiemnt, and find what works for you. Reasearch as much as you can.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    If losing your gut is the goal then I agree with the suggestions found here. Do an hour of continuous cardio a day if you can. Jogging, elliptical machine, stairclimber, etc. Or try PX90. I usually burn about 600 calories on one of those machines in an hour. Adding strength training to the routine will tone your muscles and increase your metabolism.

And this can't be done without proper diet. What did you eat in the last 48 hours?

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    The last 48 hours.....

Breakfast is usually an apple or banana and a bottle of water.

Another apple a few hours later.

Water, water, and more water.

Dinner last night was a chicken breast with bbq, sliced potatoes on the grill, and corn. Previous day was the same throughout the day except steak, green beans, and a baked potato.

On average I drink between 6 and 8 bottles of water a day during the summer.

-MColford

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Yea you're not eating nearly enough. Several small meals a day to jumpstart that metabolism.

I lost 15 pounds real fat eating 3,000 calories a day. With NO cardio.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Yea you're not eating nearly enough. Several small meals a day to jumpstart that metabolism.

Yeah that's the idea. Keep your body digesting all day. Digestion burns calories and speeds metabolism. Just don't overeat, and don't eat late in the evening.

It sounds like you are doing pretty decent with eating fruit and avoiding processed food.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Pushups are nothing. Pullups are chinups are a better way to judge strength. Better yet, squats and deadlifts determines how much of a man you are.

I know many people who couldnt do one single push up.
    It's still a good way to judge someone's strenght and not everybody can do chinups at home to judge their strength.You dont need any equipement to do push ups.

Top Bottom