• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I never heard of it until a few years ago. I was metal detecting and came across an ammo can full of trinkets so I took it home with me..I found a metal token in it with the geocache web site on it and looked into it..had no clue something like that was so popular...needless to say I rushed the ammo can back to where I found it{which was out in the middle of no where!} I felt bad that I took it so I put a whole bunch of stuff in it like new matchbox cars/pens/euro coins and a couple small cans of off bug spray:):
    then I figured out I could use my vehicles GPS {garmin nuvi} to geocache with and my daughter and I will go look for em when we are near one...lots of fun for the family and there seems to be a whole bunch of em in my area...quit a few on USI's property as well.

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've been Geocaching for 6 years now and I love it. I travel for work, so I always take my GPSr (on my third one now) with me and get some Geocaching in while in new places. I can't say I've ever found gold in a cache, but I have found some interesting things out in the woods while caching.

If you're looking for an outdoor, family activity that anyone can do and that you can do anywhere, Geocaching is the way to go!

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you look up paperless caching, you can take past logs with you. I download all of my caches and load them into my PDA. I have had over 2500 loaded in my PDA for a Florida vacation. Each cache contains the cache page, hints and past logs. If you're into Geocaching, you really need to look up paperless caching.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    If you look up paperless caching, you can take past logs with you. I download all of my caches and load them into my PDA. I have had over 2500 loaded in my PDA for a Florida vacation. Each cache contains the cache page, hints and past logs. If you're into Geocaching, you really need to look up paperless caching.

Yeah I do paperless with the geocaching app on my iphone. I just sometimes neglect to read the recent logs until it is too late.

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Paperless caching is great. I can do it with my legend C but I don't get enough information on there and the notes aren't always big enough. One of these days I'll be able to afford the technology to paperless geocache.

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    For paperless caching, I don't store the cache descriptions in my GPSr, I use a Palm Pilot m105. You can find these on Ebay for around $10. It's a no frills PDA, but it gets the job done for me. I use it for Geocaching, my calendar and my phone book. And if it breaks while Geocaching, I just get another off Ebay.

For Paperless caching, here is what I use:
    Software:
    GSAK (for PC)
    CacheMate (for PDA)
    Streets & Trips

Hardware:
    Garmin GPS 60
    Palm Pilot m105

I use GSAK to load my Pocket Queries and from there I can load the PDA, GPSr and Streets & Trips. And with the GPSr data cable, I can use Streets & Trips on my laptop to drive right to caches.

crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan
    My wife and I just started it about a month ago. I really enjoy it. it takes you places that you might have never been to or ever knew about before.

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I also travel some for work so it gives me something to do if I happen to get some free time while on the road. Then after some hiking and Geocaching, I find a nice bar/restaurant to get some beer and a juicy steak!

angelfire

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    westside indy
    you know i just found out about that im still new to the idea never tried it yet would like to but i dont even know where to start i have been reading all about it i even downloaded the programi just dont know where to begin any suggestions on how to start it i really want to do it i just talked my b/f into looking into it as well he says he might try it if i could explain it to him lol i guess he will have to wait his turn untill i figure it out

crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan
    you know i just found out about that im still new to the idea never tried it yet would like to but i dont even know where to start i have been reading all about it i even downloaded the programi just dont know where to begin any suggestions on how to start it i really want to do it i just talked my b/f into looking into it as well he says he might try it if i could explain it to him lol i guess he will have to wait his turn untill i figure it out

geocaching.com should tell you everything you need and show you where all the caches are in your area

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    You can also do a quick search (on Geocaching.com) for any event caches coming up in your area. They usually have them about once a month in Indy and it is a great place to meet other Geocachers. Plus, many times, groups will go out caching after the event, and there should be no problem if you ask to tag along with them.

A group of easy caches to start trying to find are cemetery caches. Since the caches cannot be place on grave stones, they can usually be found in trees, bushes or fence lines. This will give you a god start on what Geocaching is and will also take you to some really neat, old, pioneer cemeteries.

Good luck and enjoy!

Top Bottom