• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have been debating on ordering new rear speakers for my home theater. Currently I have Cerwin Vega's (LS 12) for front, some cheaper speaker for center, and bose for the rear.

I have a Harman Kardon AVR 325 receiver about 9 years old or so. Everything sounds great, but since I have added my plasma tv to the mix and find myself watching more tv with the surround sound... the little bose in the rear just are not cutting it!

I guess my question is, does anyone have any thoughts on newer Cerwin Vegas? I really like my older towers but I can not find anyone or anyplace that I could listen to their stuff. I am interested in I guess book shelf type speakers instead of the little bose cubes.

Any thoughts/advise?

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    OOOOO0000oooo CERWIN VEGA!

:postpics:

I Wanna see some CV's!! Are yours the ones with the hot pink/orange coils?

As far as where to get em your going to have to Google it.

I wish I never had to let mine go:xmad:

STICK TO CERWIN VEGA!

Deep deep smooth lows "U cant blow these" ive seen the vega series stretch out 2 inches from the surface and not even sweat.
    Responsive,snappy, crisp highs
    The mids gotta little punch to em too!
    A history of bad a%% performance
    I'm not a salesman just a believer.
    cerwin-vega4.jpg

I found Klipsch or KLH to be exceptional also.

These are not your grandpa's Bose speakers, Bose are fisher price compared to these 110%

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/cerwinvega_cls215.htm

sry for the thread jack...

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    im at work right now.

the new ones or atleast the set im looking at does not have the orange ring around them :(

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I remember once being at Circuit City and the audio sales guy tried to sell me a set of KLH. He turned them up thinking all I wanted was bass (I was maybe 17 at the time)... All I remember is how horrid they sounded. Not sure if they had blown them or pushed them past their levels but I was no impressed. Still not sure I would buy them just because of that bad experience....

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I had to revive this thread to say that out and about today I decided to upgrade my family room stereo/speakers.

What I had in the family room was one of those cheap all in one surround sound systems from samsung. great little system.. built in dvd/cd player... but that was about it.

Last year I bought a new stereo for the garage (Yamaha surround sound receiver). Well today I decided it should be inside and the samsung outside. Then at best buy in castleton they had a set of Klipsch F-2 ? on the scratch and dent area for a little more then half off. They sound good in the family room! They are not my Cerwin Vega's in the game room, but they are nice speakers. I also got a set of surround speakers by Klipsch... they as well are pretty nice.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You did good.

Mine are older than my daughter who is 12 and they still rock out. The Sub woofer I have is a definitive technologies sub and I have a 12 year old Dennon av receiver. With the dennon I can send all the bass out to the sub and the mid and highs to the center/front/rear. Makes it sweet sounding and the klipsch with the small cones don't have to worry about low frequancies.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    what he said.

to early to say for sure... but I have the feeling my Cerwin Vega's will still be my favorite (atleast in my home setups)

But the Klipsch speakers I think may serve my purpose in the family room better then the Vega's.

No complaints as of yet... hoping to keep it that way.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I am running the Polk RTi series and with a descent subwoofer they are more than enough to fill my room. Too bad you were not closer to Evansville I could give you a killer deal on some B&W 602's that do not fit in my entertainment center.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Personally, I've never gone after the most crystal-clear sound obtainable. After a certain point, I really never noticed much difference. I like power and volume in my metal. I like to shake the house.

I went with JBL PRX-535 powered 3-way PA speakers (4 of them) and a mixing board.

I love these speakers! I guarantee I have the loudest system in my neighborhood. The great thing is... I can also use them on stage.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Personally, I've never gone after the most crystal-clear sound obtainable. After a certain point, I really never noticed much difference. I like power and volume in my metal. I like to shake the house.

I went with JBL PRX-535 powered 3-way PA speakers (4 of them) and a mixing board.

I do pro sound for a living. Here are some JBL's I hung up at the Lucas Oil stadium. They are not the JBL PRX-535 powered 3-way PA speakers but they are a non powered version of the PRX line.
    DSC02184.jpg

JBL in the business we call them JUST BIG AND LOUD. Nothing wrong with that if you are into shaking the walls.

PS that is a 40 foot tall JLG lift at full extension. They will shake the walls.
    There are 7,854 JBL speakers in lucas Oill stadium and a few other brands including Klipsch and Myers. We were required to remove all branding stickers of cover them up because the NFL has no official speaker provider (But they have 2 TV providers samsung and Sony) There are also over 100 thousand watts of Crown amps installed in the stadium. You can use a crown amp as a welder if you wanted to.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just Big and Loud. Damned straight. That's very apropos. I could die a happy man if I had a rig like that in my house, and my wife would probably be the one to kill me. She hates when I crank it up as it is, so I usually have to wait until she takes the kids out somewhere and I'm home alone. There's nothing like listening to Crowbar or Pantera at those levels!

I can definitely see not using powered speakers in a venue like that... imagine how hard it would be to replace one if the amp for some reason quit working. I needed mine to be portable for smaller venues than Lucas Oil. Bars, houses, the occasional outdoor gig with a few hundred people in the audience, etc., and having the amps built in makes it so much easier to get everything up and going. It's almost like plug & play!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Do it as work and see the happiness fade away faster.

I love my job don't get me wrong but hanging a 110 pound speaker 60 feet off the ground in a boom lift over a football stadium at Franklin college football field in 90 degree heat and full sun starting at 7 am and ending at 9:30 pm and after a few of these installs it is just work. If you can't deal with the height issues ( I am very respectful of the laws of gravity) is is just scary work.

Add in the recent tragedy at a concert and now you have 100 sets of extra eyeballs watching the whole affair. I most admit that a few of those eyes were attached to some fine looking college girls always a plus.

That frankin college football stadium now rocks out. Give it a listen if you get a chance. Hey hot dog/grilled burger and coke there is only 4 dollars and tickets are most likely a deal also. Would be a good family day for those on a budget with a young kid into football games or a pee wee football player.

Top Bottom