• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    Hi...need some education. I just had my yearly HVAC inspection/cleaning and they noticed some light mold growing in the ducts just above the condenser. They recommended a Guardian REME UV system. A quick Google Search and I get the concept. They want $1300 to install one / but online I can get one for about $400 and install myself...seems easy enough.

My question is gimmick or real benefit?

Background - multiple animals (dogs and cats), have seasonal allergies, live in manufactured community so no excessive dust beyond normal)

Thanks for any insight.

br9x

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Noblesville
    hello 26yrs exp in hvac here the short answer to your question is yes there are benefits to a uv light. is it enough benefitto justify the cost in most cases no. all comes down to how sensitive to mold you may be. as far as the mold being located there around your evaporator coil that is very common almost 100 percent of the time in any home you walk into. also keep in mind if you do purchase a uv light it is something you need to look at semi yearly the bulbs go out and beingg installed in your ductwork tend to go overlookd out of sight out of mind. with all that being said i personaly do not have one installed on my home system

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    hello 26yrs exp in hvac here the short answer to your question is yes there are benefits to a uv light. is it enough benefitto justify the cost in most cases no. all comes down to how sensitive to mold you may be. as far as the mold being located there around your evaporator coil that is very common almost 100 percent of the time in any home you walk into. also keep in mind if you do purchase a uv light it is something you need to look at semi yearly the bulbs go out and beingg installed in your ductwork tend to go overlookd out of sight out of mind. with all that being said i personaly do not have one installed on my home system

Thanks for the insight. I thought as much but wanted to make sure.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Been in the trade (HVAC) longer than I care to remember. The lights only treat the area the illuminate. They are not magic.
    A good bleach solution will kill off about any mold I am aware of.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Been in the trade (HVAC) longer than I care to remember. The lights only treat the area the illuminate. They are not magic.
    A good bleach solution will kill off about any mold I am aware of.

The problem with bleach is it is corrosive. If he has aluminum coils he could cause issues using it. (wouldnt he?) I started down the bleach route and discovered that. Which is what led me to my previous suggestion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The problem with bleach is it is corrosive. If he has aluminum coils he could cause issues using it. (wouldnt he?) I started down the bleach route and discovered that. Which is what led me to my previous suggestion.

A bleach solution as in a light mix just to kill off the mold.
    I use a dedicated cleanser for evaporators. Not locked in on any specific brand.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    Thanks everyone...based on the feedback I will pass on getting a UV device.

As for the mold...it was very little just above the coils. I pulled the vents in other rooms and snaked a camera into the main lines (attic) and don't see any other signs so I think it is just there cause it is dark and damp and probably not a big deal at this point.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks everyone...based on the feedback I will pass on getting a UV device.

As for the mold...it was very little just above the coils. I pulled the vents in other rooms and snaked a camera into the main lines (attic) and don't see any other signs so I think it is just there cause it is dark and damp and probably not a big deal at this point.

If the A/C is running as designed it is dehumidifying the air. Mold likes dark/damp. The water in and around the coil is what the A/C is removing. It gathers in the drain pan. Check the drain for restrictions. If water stands in the drain pan it may not be pitched towards the drain properly.

Top Bottom