• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have two dogs and a cat in my house. They didn't get along at first but they are all buddy buddy now. The dogs are 8 months old and the cat is 5 years old. I think having the cat around while the dogs are in their puppy stage is very important. Also my dogs are a Mountain Curr Dog (mix of hounds) and a full blooded liver white 15" beagle.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There is no truth to this as cats are solitary critters by nature.

I know this was a long standing belief but it has been proven untrue in recent years. And no, not just by Yahoo! answers :): Studies in the Feline Journal of Surgery and Medicine and many others have shown that felines (when given enough resources) tend to adopt a family type structure somewhat like a pride of lions. They're actually far more social than people previously thought. This is why I say they normally do better when there are more than one. Of course there are always the anti-social exceptions like my 12 year old girl who hates everyone on Earth besides me. I always thought she just needed some more time to adjust but 5 years later she's still mean and nasty :):
    Hopefully the OP won't have to deal with that though.:)

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Of course, ignoring is what cats do best anyway. :):
    come to my house and I will show you a cat that HATES to be ignored. She jumps on the coffee table and bats her paws to get your attention. She won't take no for an answer when she wants petted. Damn Cat
    So all you guys are ok with having boxes of Sh** in your house?

Cat threads on a gun forum beg for jokes, no flaming.
    My cat uses the dog door :dunno:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    come to my house and I will show you a cat that HATES to be ignored. She jumps on the coffee table and bats her paws to get your attention. She won't take no for an answer when she wants petted. Damn Cat

Same...only I have 3 of those types! It's frustrating

My cat uses the dog door :dunno:

Two of mine go to the back door when they need to go out. One of mine goes in the toilet.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    They will hate each other the first few days. If there both under a year they should be buddies within a week. Two males and you'll be golden. Two females you'll never see them. One of each they better be fixed

Good advice. You wait too long and you'll have fur flying. We now have a black "downstairs cat" and a gray "upstairs cat" separated by the basement door. They mix like oil and water. My gray cat could and WOULD kill the black cat, I'm sure of it, he's a brute.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    A group will generally adopt a "pecking order", and there will be a little spatting as that settles out. Some cats simply won't participate in that; they'll hang around with the rest without inserting themselves, but if someone tries to dominate, they'll make it clear that's not in the cards. Some stay aloof, some do cuddle puddles. It's all that individual personality thing. If you study closely, cats have emotional/personality characteristics more similar to humans than dogs do. If you've ever heard a woman called a catty *****, I've seen it up close. Blood was drawn. Some of it was mine.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    the best advice I can give you is to have multiple litter boxes. The recommendation is "# of cats +1", but you should have a minimum of 1 per cat.

Unless you like the smell of cat pee in your carpet ;)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    the best advice I can give you is to have multiple litter boxes. The recommendation is "# of cats +1", but you should have a minimum of 1 per cat.

Unless you like the smell of cat pee in your carpet ;)

We're doing quite nice with just one box with our two cats.

But it gets cleaned every morning - and sometimes it gets cleaned 2x a day if one of 'em drops a bomb. :n00b: We honestly just don't have any more good spots to put another box...yet. If we had a spot, I'd put another box there for sure.

Be diligent in the cleaning.

-J-

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Its not really so much an issue with cleaning as it is a territory issue.

I've only had one issue ever, but that one issue was *enough*.

Basically one cat refused to use the same litter box, or was not allowed to used that litter box by the other cat, so it would pee in the corner in one room of the house. I ended up having to strip the carpet, replace the subfloor, and put on some Kilz primer because I couldn't get that cat pee smell out.

JAFO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Ever seen the Robin Williams skit on Cats being like Drag Queens?? Pretty funny stuff

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Just a update, we got the cat, and neither of them got alone what so ever. Emily and I went out to dinner one day (Cleo (the first cat) had the run of the apartment, Nalah (second cat) was confined to bedroom) when we got back, Nalah had escaped the bedroom, and her and Cleo were cuddled up on the living room floor with each other.

Been getting along ever since.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    They're funny that way. We have four (or rather, they have us) and one day a pair will be fighting all day, and that night, they end up cuddled on the bed. They're exceptionally peculiar creatures for sure.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Just a update, we got the cat, and neither of them got alone what so ever. Emily and I went out to dinner one day (Cleo (the first cat) had the run of the apartment, Nalah (second cat) was confined to bedroom) when we got back, Nalah had escaped the bedroom, and her and Cleo were cuddled up on the living room floor with each other.

Been getting along ever since.

Awesome! :rockwoot:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom