• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I just replaced my old (9+ years) cable modem with one from the cable co (Brighthouse), as they promised faster speeds. The new cable modem is a Motorolla SURFboard SBG6580. I was under the impression that I could plug my wireless router directly into it and be "up and running," so to speak. Well, it isn't happening. I know the new modem is working, since I have internet with a wired connection to the computer.

The two wireless routers I tried are both old, probably at least 7 years. Is there a compatibility issue, as in, I need to purchase a new wireless router that is DOCSIS 3.0 compatible (is that a thing)? I don't have a problem with that, but wanted to make sure that's the case before I make a fool of myself at the cable office.

Man, I feel old asking tech questions.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I would think the new stuff would be backwards compatible to the old stuff.

Can you connect a laptop or phone to the wireless router? If so, what is your router IP address? Even if you don't connect to the internet you should be able to connect to router.

if you have windows, open a dos prompt and type "ipconfig" to see what it should be. Does your wireless device have an IP Address similar to the one your computer does except for the last set of digits?

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    The SBG6580 has an 802.11n wireless router built into it, so it makes sense that it doesn't like acting as a passthrough to your existing router(s). It's got 4 ethernet ports on the back, right? If so then you've got two devices rolled into one and you don't need your dedicated routers anymore. Otherwise you may be able to disable the SBGs router so it acts as a pure cable modem, but that's just wasting money.

If you prefer to not bother with a bundled router you can pick up the SB6141 for $70 on Amazon and save yourself the rental fee from Brighthouse. That's what I did (although I have Comcast):
    http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00AJHDZSI/

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The SBG6580 has an 802.11n wireless router built into it, so it makes sense that it doesn't like acting as a passthrough to your existing router(s). It's got 4 ethernet ports on the back, right? If so then you've got two devices rolled into one and you don't need your dedicated routers anymore. Otherwise you may be able to disable the SBGs router so it acts as a pure cable modem, but that's just wasting money.

If you prefer to not bother with a bundled router you can pick up the SB6141 for $70 on Amazon and save yourself the rental fee from Brighthouse. That's what I did (although I have Comcast):
    Amazon.com: ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White: Computers & Accessories

Yes, after some research (before I posted), it appears that the new cable modem is also a wireless router. My computer/phone/tv do not "see" the new router. The lady asked if I had my own wireless router, I said "yes," then she handed me the 6580 and said it's "plug n play."

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Also, after putting it in bridge mode and disabling the internal wifi, make sure that you unplug the new modem's power before plugging in a new router. Cable modems are authorized to give out the IP address to the first device it sees. So if you test with your laptop, then plug in the router, it will not give out another IP address to the router until it is power cycled to reset the IP lease.

I see people with that problem all the time. After rebooting the modem, the router gets the IP and they are off to the races.

SwingW/theWing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2015
    Bloomington
    I have a gateway from Comcast and run my own router off of it. Mine worked though but I still turned bridge mode on. My understanding is that both devices are routers and trying to assign IP's. By putting it in bridge mode only your router will do that. I'm not a IT guru by any stretch of the imagination. Just a cable guy

SwingW/theWing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2015
    Bloomington
    Also, after putting it in bridge mode and disabling the internal wifi, make sure that you unplug the new modem's power before plugging in a new router. Cable modems are authorized to give out the IP address to the first device it sees. So if you test with your laptop, then plug in the router, it will not give out another IP address to the router until it is power cycled to reset the IP lease.

I see people with that problem all the time. After rebooting the modem, the router gets the IP and they are off to the races.

yes...always power cycle if your plug that Ethernet into any other device.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I really know nothing about this stuff. Is this going to screw me?

To clarify, Bridge mode makes it work like the older bare bones modems before they had routers and wifi and such integrated. it simply acts as an adapter to translate the ethernet to cable signal and back and relies on something else to do routing, firewalls, etc.

Or you could NOT put it in bridge mode and toss your old router if you just need basic access and didnt do anything special with the original router.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    To sort of continue with this, I have a cable modem that my provider requires as I also have phone with them.
    It is a Touchstone Telephony Modem that I pay monthly rent on.

Is it possible for me to purchase my own and stop the monthly rent?

Their off shore tech support is a joke when asking such questions of them.
    My provider is Wide Open West, AKA: WOW

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Depending on their policy, yes you can. As long as they are using standard DOCSIS modems,(Id be shocked if they werent) you just need to buy one, call them, and tell them what the MAC address is of the new modem. They will attach that modem to your account and it will provision itself when you plug it in.

That is, provided they will let you. And just make sure what you buy has the VoIP support and is not just a cheap modem.

I had one provider when I lived in Greenwood that didnt want you to rent. They came right out and said it. "we dont want you to rent from us, but if you insist it is $15/mo" (half my bill at the time and double what everyone else charged)

And as an aside, if you have an alarm panel that dials out on that VoIP line, you will want to get either a cell communicator or IP communicator instead of a POTS dialer. They arent compatible with VoIP and if it ever has to dial central station, help may never show up. (I dont expect or want you to reveal your security setup here, just be aware.)

Top Bottom