• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPE1704TKS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    I'm going to thread jack a little bit.

Is there anybody out there that has advice for having an insulin plan as part of their preps?

My girlfriend has a young son with type 1 diabetes and she's concerned about having enough insulin should there be some kind of supply chain disruption or economic issue.

I hear Insulin is restricted and has a shelf life of about a year so it's not like rice or MREs where one could stock up with several years' supply. So how do you prep for life sustaining meds?

I think she has about a six months supply if the medical system or drug production collapsed overnight. I can't imagine many scenarios where the supply of insulin would be cut off for that long.

Any diabetics with advice?
    I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 33 years and have been using an Insulin pump for the last 5 years. Keep it refrigerated and it has a shelf life beyond the expiration date. I use R U-500, so it's 5x the concentration of the normal U-100 and crazy expensive. My mail order pharmacy sent me too much over several refills and I refuse to throw it away because it passed the date. Not that I would recommend holding it this long, but the vial I am finishing up now, expired 12-2018 and I have not seen any issues and my Doc was very happy with my last a1c.

Make sure it doesn't get cloudy and keep it cold. Ask the Doc to up the prescription amount to add to your reserves. I have broken a vial or 2 in the last 33 years and I always carry extra just in case.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and on a related note, some of us are just gonna die when the SHTF. (some faster than others) Sad, but true.

I learned the hard way last week that without my BP meds, my life is not going to be totally pleasant if the SHTF. I was traveling and I forgot to pack my meds. No worries. Its only 4 days. I'll be fine. 2nd morning in and I woke up with a weird headache that concentrated on the sides of my head around my ears like I was wearing too tight muffs. Combined with my ears feeling hot, like I drank too much. So I called my doc for a 911 vacation script. Funny thing, I get A robocall from the pharmacy 5 minutes later... "your prescription will be filled in... one... week. See you then." Dafu? So I called the pharmacy. After getting hung up on the first time because nobody answered in 10 mins I finally talked to a worker. Insurance said I wasnt due. Vacation override didnt work.

So they ran in through GoodRX as a stopgap. Could fill 10 days for $9. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom