• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tweekie1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    From what I have read IMPD Officer David Moore did not have an on dash camera. The story I read stated they cost up to $3000.00 each and very few cars are equipped with them. So for that reason I am proposing that the members of INGunOweners set up a fund to purcase as many of these cameras as possible for IMPD. Not only will this help protect us in our incounters with our local lawmen, it will help protect them. I am not smart enough to set this up so I would hope someone with a better understaning of how to go about it could take charge (I can barly type).:D I am not rich, Heck just getting bye,but I will kick in $50.00 to get it going. Mods can delete if not a good idea.

tweekie1

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We are forbidden to buy them ourselves by Dept general orders. But I plan on buying one of those tiny digital camera that clip onto your uniform for $150. Color video and digital audio.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    They have the funding. They have the technology.

Cameras in cop cars are double edged swords and Marion County LE, especially the Prosecuting Attorney (heck, Curry could write a check tomorrow and put two cameras in every IMPD car with all the diversion money his office is swimming in) does not want them. Marion County LE has a long history of fighting video evidence at every turn, e.g. look at how they and their IPAC allies fought IRE 617.

Jar_Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think it needs to be proposed as a law, the law would require that all law enforcement vehicles have a recording system (dash cam) in them and that all traffic stops be recorded. Carmel PD does it and I read that a state police (can't recall the state) must have them to stop anyone per their policy. They would be required by law to have them and produce them in court. Just and idea..

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They have the funding. They have the technology.

Cameras in cop cars are double edged swords and Marion County LE, especially the Prosecuting Attorney (heck, Curry could write a check tomorrow and put two cameras in every IMPD car with all the diversion money his office is swimming in) does not want them. Marion County LE has a long history of fighting video evidence at every turn, e.g. look at how they and their IPAC allies fought IRE 617.

Yes, yes, yes. IMPD is the devil. We have more money than we know what to do with. We get together and have meetings on what we can waste money on. We even have a room downtown stacked to the ceiling with it and officers can go in once a day and grab a handful.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Yes, yes, yes. IMPD is the devil. We have more money than we know what to do with. We get together and have meetings on what we can waste money on. We even have a room downtown stacked to the ceiling with it and officers can go in once a day and grab a handful.

Seriously? Because I heard that there is an entire underground mall under Indianapolis that is stocked full of merchandise that only the police have access to. Everything is sold to cops at like 90% off retail. Its funded by our tax dollars and that is why if you go to a cops house they only have the very best of everything, TV's, Gun's the works baby!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sure seems to be a genius move to be "helping out" our brothers in blue right now. No offense to the OP, but bad timing and bad form.:xmad:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Before doing this a poll for police officers on here to answer as to how much they would like to have dash cams might be in order first.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Before doing this a poll for police officers on here to answer as to how much they would like to have dash cams might be in order first.

If I am mistaken, please correct me, but wouldn't every single honest police officer want one?

What would be the downside to having one?
    (Sincere question)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We get together and have meetings on what we can waste money on.

It's not a matter of waste; it's a matter of priorities.

IMPD does not need 1,600 camera systems, there are not that many cars, there are not that many officers on patrol.

Marion County law enforcement does have a history of fighting implementation of video recordings (e.g. IRE 617). Thus, the fact that video cameras are not in every car, after all these years, is not surprising and is not due to a lack of funding. Afterall the Marion County Prosecuting Attorney takes in more than enough in diversion fees to equip all the patrol cars. Heck, they could even space the purchases out over the years, say 20% of the cars a year.

Disagreements regarding policy priorities does not make anyone eeevil.:laugh:

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    We are forbidden to buy them ourselves by Dept general orders. But I plan on buying one of those tiny digital camera that clip onto your uniform for $150. Color video and digital audio.

Most small town departments buy them for about 59 bucks and they come with the utility belt clip to hold the base. The camera itself is about the size of to p-buttons.

Top Bottom