• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I want to camo my gun , its a ruger 10/22.I know some guys used DURACOAT spray or some other product.I really like the texture of this spray paint , its called RUSTOLEUM ROCK.It looks like pebble stones when you spray it on a object.I want to spray a base primer on the rifle and HOGUE overmolded stock , then spray on the rustoleum ROCK.They have TAN and I want to use and a reddish primer STONE also.I like the finish because its just not FLAT and has a texture to break up a plain look.Dont know if its a GOOD idea and dont know about durability , but I have done iffy things before , some came out good and others not so much.But it will blend in with tan grasses and woods.I was just wondering what you guys think about , any ideas would be given some serious thought,THANKS.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Go for it! I've painted a couple of mine, some came out better than others but all done for use in the woods. May not really matter to the critters but I highly doubt it hurts.

I've seen that kind of paint and wondered about it so if you do paint yours post up some pics!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Barrel should be fine.
    I'm a little dubious about the Hogue overmolded stock.
    Not saying it won't work, but I am also not entirely sure how much adhesion the paint will get.
    You might think about priming the stock first, to ready it for a better paint job.
    Bull's-eye 123, a Zinsser product found at Menards will be just the trick.
    It will adhere to most any surface, and once dry, will accept most any paint.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    For durability have you considered a cerakote job? Obviously much more expensive but I think you'd get much better quality and durability than rattle can.
    I don't like the painted texture or quality (seems like it wears of quickly with handling), but that's just my preference.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I just painted my first firearm after thinking about it for several years. I did it on a plinker that I don't plan on selling so not worried about resale value.

It was a fun project though hard to wrap my head around what I was doing with the stencils. It turned out better than I thought, not as good as I wanted.

I'm not clear coating it. I'll just let it wear. Ever look at military issue stuff? Plenty of wear on those.

I used Krylon, 3 colors.

M&P 15-22 Right Side.jpg

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Barrel should be fine.
    I'm a little dubious about the Hogue overmolded stock.
    Not saying it won't work, but I am also not entirely sure how much adhesion the paint will get.
    You might think about priming the stock first, to ready it for a better paint job.
    Bull's-eye 123, a Zinsser product found at Menards will be just the trick.
    It will adhere to most any surface, and once dry, will accept most any paint.
    I was wondering the same thing, seems like stock might be a little flexable , but its a learning experience to me,thanks for comment.I am going to try a spray primer, BUT , I have used those products and will keep them in mind .

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    For durability have you considered a cerakote job? Obviously much more expensive but I think you'd get much better quality and durability than rattle can.
    I don't like the painted texture or quality (seems like it wears of quickly with handling), but that's just my preference.
    Have you ever seen that ROCK spray stuff ? rain is what I am worried about.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I just painted my first firearm after thinking about it for several years. I did it on a plinker that I don't plan on selling so not worried about resale value.

It was a fun project though hard to wrap my head around what I was doing with the stencils. It turned out better than I thought, not as good as I wanted.

I'm not clear coating it. I'll just let it wear. Ever look at military issue stuff? Plenty of wear on those.

I used Krylon, 3 colors.

View attachment 175017
    Yours came out real nice , very nice. like the camo.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    My wife did a clay flower pot in stone spray paint, turned out good. It makes a hard coating. I would think it would be subject to cracking and flaking if it got rough handling or made to flex, just guessing. I think it's a perfect 10/22 project and now you owe all of us a full report!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I want to camo my gun , its a ruger 10/22.I know some guys used DURACOAT spray or some other product.I really like the texture of this spray paint , its called RUSTOLEUM ROCK.It looks like pebble stones when you spray it on a object.I want to spray a base primer on the rifle and HOGUE overmolded stock , then spray on the rustoleum ROCK.They have TAN and I want to use and a reddish primer STONE also.I like the finish because its just not FLAT and has a texture to break up a plain look.Dont know if its a GOOD idea and dont know about durability , but I have done iffy things before , some came out good and others not so much.But it will blend in with tan grasses and woods.I was just wondering what you guys think about , any ideas would be given some serious thought,THANKS.

Here is a barrel from an AR15 that I camouflaged:

I think it turned out well.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

I used Krylon, 3 colors.

View attachment 175017
    Excellent job.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder