• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    It's back! I'm SO addicted to these KD appleseed events. If you've done a normal 25 yd you've GOT to try putting what you've learned to the real test at the real distances. You'll need to carry your rifle, mags, ammo, snacks, drink, notebook/pen, binocs/spotter with you from berm to berm in 100 yd increments.

My bro-in-law & I are signed up. I'll be trying for rifleman using the M1A (Ginger) again with the AR-15 as backup (Mary Ann).

Info:
    Appleseed Schedule

Camp Atterbury, IN Appleseed Known Distance October... Tickets, Edinburgh - Eventbrite

It's an experience for sure. The last time I was down there I saw C130 dropping paratroopers/landing/takoff, police sniper training, ranges on fire with smoke blowing across our targets, heard machine gun fire, warthogs doing strafing runs, drones flying around, etc...

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Oct 9, 2010
    Where it says, "...bring 350 rounds...," I assume this means the free ammo wagon will not be in attendance this time?

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    Make sure you get your personal and rifle info turned in if you plan on going. And don't forget to read the Atterbury instructions and put an X next to where it says, "I got it." You can find the instructions and the info sheet here:

Coming to Atterbury

Do it or you might not get in the gate. I know the guy who compiles the gate list and he's one cranky SOB!

C ya,

brian

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks Brian! Do you know the cutoff date for the personal / rifle info?

I've got two verified "KD Rifleman" capable AR-15s but am thinking about using my M1A or maybe one of my WWI/WWII bolt guns this time. Not sure which yet.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    If ammo is the reason people aren't coming let me know. .223 is out there and you can get 500 to your door for less than 140. Total cost for the class is going to be well under the cost of a one day door kicker class AND you get to know your rifle at actual RIFLE DISTANCES.

Don't let cost keep you away. I'm the boss for this event and I'll make it work for you. Also, I'll personally guarantee an improvement to your marksmanship. If you aren't better with your rifle on Sunday than you were on Saturday morning I'll refund the cost of your ammo.

Jan 28, 2009

I've got two verified "KD Rifleman" capable AR-15s but am thinking about using my M1A or maybe one of my WWI/WWII bolt guns this time. Not sure which yet.
    Shoot it with the M1A. More of a challenge.

indychad

Marksman
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    I sooooo want to attend one of these. I want to hit a smaller event to get my feet wet first. Just inherited my fathers Rem. 700 in 270. Would love to get it dialed in and this sounds like the place to do so. What are the KDs that are shot?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I sooooo want to attend one of these. I want to hit a smaller event to get my feet wet first. Just inherited my fathers Rem. 700 in 270. Would love to get it dialed in and this sounds like the place to do so. What are the KDs that are shot?

I've been there several times and we've done 25 yard zeros, 5 squares, box drills a couple times. Most of the time we're on 100, 200, 300 & 400. I've only been on the 500 yard line once.

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    indychad,

I would recommend that you sign up for a 25 yard Appleseed this month and shoot .22LR to lay the foundation for doing Atterbury next month. We've got a shoot in Noblesville this weekend, Richmond the 13th and 14th, Bedford on the 20th and 21st and Brazil the 27th and 28th. What you learn at the "regular" Appleseed will allow you to get to the range with that Remington 700, get it sighted in and show up to Atterbury with a rifle that is ready to go so you only have to work on you, not the rifle. No one wants to be the guy that shows up with a rifle that isn't anywhere near what they thought it was as far as being sighted-in but it happens...frequently. The stuff we do at Atterbury at 25 yards is supposed to be a verification/confirmation that your rifle is ready to go. Often it turns into a major diagnostic session which slows EVERYBODY down and is frustrating for the shooter with the problem rifle.

I hope to see you on the line at Atterbury.

brian
    Project Appleseed Instructor

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Took the M1A out for some fine tuning today. Much much better now that the scope rings have been flipped. Zero malfunctions using 4 different loads. I'm going to have one hell of a time getting a good score though. This thing is a HEAVY beast.

I'm still impressed by the Wolf 150 gr ammo. Three 3 shot groups to rezero the scope and ALL were ~1 MOA @ 100 yards (off the sand bags). The Brazilian CBC made M80 shot just under 2 MOA. The Brazilian 168 gr "sniper" was ~1 MOA. The Privi PPU 168 gr match was also ~1 MOA. The Wolf 150, sniper & PPU all had very similar zeros. The Brazilian M80 was 2" low.

10 shots groups tend to open up to >4 MOA and drift down right though. The gun doesn't return to zero until it cools down a bit. I have some gas block shims on the way and will need to tune the stock a little. Hopefully I get it settled down before the shoot.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield

Funny you say that HOP, IF I'm able to make it to this one I'll be shooting my Mosin 91/30 sniper rifle. I'd love to dope that out to at least 400 and see how I do with a bold action in the different positions. I'm getting 2-3MOA at 100 yards with but that was almost a couple years ago when I shot it last :rolleyes:. I've already figured out how to rig the sling to serve the same role as a USGI sling but I've not doped it out past 100. I'd consider it a rack grade rifle, maybe slightly better, so any freedom loving 'merican "rifleman" worth his salt should be able to patch with it, right? :patriot:
    I would probably also want to know I'd have the opportunity to flush the barrel at some point so I didn't have the corrosive primer eating at it all day (or two days for that matter.)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Took the M1A out for some fine tuning today. Much much better now that the scope rings have been flipped. Zero malfunctions using 4 different loads. I'm going to have one hell of a time getting a good score though. This thing is a HEAVY beast.

I'm still impressed by the Wolf 150 gr ammo. Three 3 shot groups to rezero the scope and ALL were ~1 MOA @ 100 yards (off the sand bags). The Brazilian CBC made M80 shot just under 2 MOA. The Brazilian 168 gr "sniper" was ~1 MOA. The Privi PPU 168 gr match was also ~1 MOA. The Wolf 150, sniper & PPU all had very similar zeros. The Brazilian M80 was 2" low.

10 shots groups tend to open up to >4 MOA and drift down right though. The gun doesn't return to zero until it cools down a bit. I have some gas block shims on the way and will need to tune the stock a little. Hopefully I get it settled down before the shoot.

(Channeling my best "Ol'Huff") Calm down! That sounds like a lot of stress there... Take a second and breath....and know that Ol'Huff will be bossing this one and will help you get sorted out! :@ya: :):

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm real tempted to use the K31 but I have tandem aperture Mojo sights on that gun. I think the Mojo sights have enough range to shoot 400-500 yards. I figure I'd need ~12 MOA come up at 500. The goofy Mojo sights are ~.8 MOA per click making it a little tough to adjust. :):

Cable

Marksman
    Dec 9, 2012
    I registered for the KD event today.

Next task is to figure out how to get the GI slings to work with the magpul handguard and CTR stock that i have on my AR15.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy

Next task is to figure out how to get the GI slings to work with the magpul handguard and CTR stock that i have on my AR15.

There's a couple ways. I have that handguard on my 14.5" upper.
    You can:
    - get a small QD mount. MOE® ACCESSORIES - MSA®-QD - MOE® Sling Attachment or https://delta3tactical.com/store/pr...unt-for-magpul-moe-handguards__37533_zoom.jpg or Impact Weapons Components
    - install a small rail and use a picatinny mount with a QD or a sling loop.
    - install a sling loop on the front sight base <- my favorite

The CTR stock has a built in QD sling mount hole.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    There's a couple ways. I have that handguard on my 14.5" upper.
    You can:
    - get a small QD mount. MOE® ACCESSORIES - MSA®-QD - MOE® Sling Attachment or https://delta3tactical.com/store/pr...unt-for-magpul-moe-handguards__37533_zoom.jpg or Impact Weapons Components
    - install a small rail and use a picatinny mount with a QD or a sling loop.
    - install a sling loop on the front sight base <- my favorite

The CTR stock has a built in QD sling mount hole.

I use the sling mount on the front sight base works best for me. For the rear I just tie a small loop mof 550 cord and hook the sling clip on it. I've done this method for years and it has never failed me and is cheap.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Nov 16, 2010

Judicious use of zip ties will solve that problem real quick.

Top Bottom