• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I just returned from a vacation from northern Ohio and had a chance to visit Camp Perry a couple of times. Not only was the CMP great, but the National Rifle and Pistol Championships were going on and I got a chance to watch some of those.
    Best of all (after the CMP) was "commercial row". Durring the matches, a row of cinderblock buildings turns into a mini-1500 with exibitors such as Bushmaster, Rock River, DPMS and other smaller vendors. We spend most of Saturday going through the 15 or so different "shops", oogling various rifles, parts, accessories, etc. Some had some decent deals for the weekend. One place had black windowed 30rd p-mags for 12.95 and non-windowed for 10.95. It was a haven for M1, M1A, M1 carbine, AR-15, AR-10's with all sorts of parts, and accessories. Springfield had a display with a dozen M1A's on their wall, all for sale.

All in all a great weekend, get up there if you get a chance. Only about 3.5 hrs from Anderson (adjust according to your particular location...)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Thanks for the report. I hope Fin, Fur, and Feather has 75 BTHP bullets, RE15, and Remington 7 1/2 primers when I get up there next weekend.

Springfield has in years past, had a huge box full of XD mags for $16 each. I need a few more of those.

Mike Gingher will be missed from the Armalite shop this year. A 50 year veteran of the National Matches, this retired Marine Armorer was always ready to fix gun problems and get a competitor back into action.

For those of you who might not know, Mike is the REASON why we got all those Danish rifles a few years ago. I firmly believe that if he hadn't been sick, he would have been able to get us those South Korean M1's into the CMP system.

He was a long time member of the Ft Wayne Rifle and Revolver Club and he coached many a team to the best of their ability. I hear his voice in my head everytime I am trying to figure out the wind at 600 yards.

This was my tribute to a great man. I think the CMP is having a tribute to Mike August 4 in front of the headquarters.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A buddy and I drove up during the pistol phase. We hit commercial row and loaded up on primers and a few odds and ends. Commercial row used to be a lot bigger, but it's still a good place to buy shooting stuff. We also went to the shooter's swap meet. We took some stuff, including once-fired .38 SPL and .45 ACP brass. We sold almost everything we brought with us. We hit a couple of our regular must eat at restaurants. The Jolly Roger's fish just keeps getting better and better. Whitey's Diner in Fremont has an awesome breakfast.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    I have family in Port Clinton and have always wanted to go to those matches and check it out. Been to Camp Perry just never during the events.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have always wanted to go see the national matches there. Never had the time or known anyone else interested in going. I can only imagine how it must be!

If you go to watch, about as exciting as watching grass grow, you will see lots of guys shooting at the targets. When they are done shooting at the targets, you won't be able to tell how any of them did. Except some of them will get up with a smile on their face and some of them will not look happy at all.

If you go, sign up to shoot, don't bother just watching. Get "bloody in the fray". It is all that matters. You might have fun, you might not.

You see, what observers don't know, is that there are lots of new shooters without even a classification competing. And then there are High Masters and everything in between. I am a Master and I don't compete against the High Masters or the Sharpshooters. They compete against themselves.

Ther is nothing "magical" about the National Matches. It is just plain hard work. And just another series of rifle matches.

Top Bottom