• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pimpskillet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So I wonder now that I am a city dweller, where in this great state can I take my 5 year old camping, where I'm not 'parked' next to 500 other tents, somewhere we could start our own little fire, and feel like we're all alone out in the woods?

I don't mind hiking a bit to get where we are going either if that changes anything...

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Where you from? Might help a bit so people can suggested a place closer to you. Here in the south I'd suggest anyplace off of the Knobstone trail, central IN, check out the Charles Deam forest

pimpskillet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Aww shoot.. didn't realize I didn't have that on my profile here... I"m in Fort Wayne. I was kind of assuming the neat places would be southern Indiana. I really liked the feel of Spring Mill State park.. not sure about any camping there tho. I figure a lot of places are funny about campfires too, maybe not . ?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Aww shoot.. didn't realize I didn't have that on my profile here... I"m in Fort Wayne. I was kind of assuming the neat places would be southern Indiana. I really liked the feel of Spring Mill State park.. not sure about any camping there tho. I figure a lot of places are funny about campfires too, maybe not . ?

Spring Mill is a GREAT state park. They allow campfires but all state parks want you to burn wood purchased locally or brought in without tree bark. Other than that, i don't know of a state park that doesn't allow campfires.

The place i would suggest to you more than any other is Shades State Park. It is closer to you too. It is my favorite park in the state and is tent camping only. Nice Facilities. Sugar Creek runs nearby and they have some really great hiking trails. Another good one to look into is McCormicks Creek State Park.

I've lived in southern Indiana my whole life and these are my top choices!

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    Spring Mill is a GREAT state park. They allow campfires but all state parks want you to burn wood purchased locally or brought in without tree bark. Other than that, i don't know of a state park that doesn't allow campfires.

The place i would suggest to you more than any other is Shades State Park. It is closer to you too. It is my favorite park in the state and is tent camping only. Nice Facilities. Sugar Creek runs nearby and they have some really great hiking trails. Another good one to look into is McCormicks Creek State Park.

I've lived in southern Indiana my whole life and these are my top choices!

+1 for shades. I have been going there since I was a kid. Now I take my family there. Some of the camp sites are close together but if you scope it out first you can find some nice excluded ones.

Enthusiast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    You could try Summit Lake near New Castle. An added bonus is that the Wilbur Wright public range is nearby. You could camp, fish and shoot all in the same camp out weekend.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    +2 for Shades. Half way between Shades and Turkey Run is Waveland. I really like Waveland. It's not crowded and is central to a lot of activities.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Cave run lake in Kentucky. You can camp any place in the park as long as you are 300' away from the water. Most of the time you can have a fire. Just check with the Ranger station before you go into the park. They have maps and a lot of good information.

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Depending on how far you want to drive. Morgan Monroe state forest has camping. i have camped there alot. i do alot of gold prospecting there. if you would like to try your hand at gold prospecting shoot me a PM and i can tell you of a pretty good spot to camp and prospect or play in the crick with the kids. its a great way to get out in the woods and water ways and maybe find some good gold.

KDW77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Morgan Monroe is a good place and you can camp for a week and not see another person if you hike a bit.

Jmebd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    +2 for the Charles C Deam wilderness.....If you'd like to hike a bit then Grubb Ridge would be a great, not TOO out of the way place to hike,camp, shoot or whatever. That area along with the next one down at the firetower a fairly frequented on weekends but absolutely barren during the week. Grubb Ridge goes all the way to the shoreline of Monroe Lake for some fantastic views along with lots of wildlife (including coyotes so better be packing just in case).

For a far more remote camp I'd suggest the area that only deer hunters frequent to the north of tower ridge rd just west of Robertson Cemetery (just check google maps) near the Deam wilderness....there's a hunter check station nearby but keep in mind...some of the roads are 'dicey' at best and are gravel leading into dirt roads and huge ruts.

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    A lot of people here recommend shades, so figured I'd jump in on this thread too. I am planning a Memorial day weekend camping trip utilizing the canoe camping spots so I don't have to be by many other people. I have a portabote (folding john boat basically) with a 30lb trolling motor.

So, who can tell me about Sugar creek? What kind of flow? Looking at the google maps just downstream of the put in at the covered bridge it looks like some mini-rapids. Do you think I'll be able to get up stream of this with a trolling motor? I'm taking my kids camping and want to be in the woods away from people so I figured the canoe only area would be great. 2 miles downstream is no problem. 2 miles up stream with a trolling motor is no problem if it is a GENTLE current. I know a heavy rain will completely change the dynamic, but can you local guys tell me how much a gentle rain will affect the flow there?

Scoe3202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    I tell ya what I'm very new to this site just joined last night and this is all the things I enjoy in one place I have been looking for remote camping places for a guys weekend(the women I know are too needy for remote camping.) Looks like I need to start acquiring some good camping equipment of my own especially for some brisk weather camping!

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you get way down south, Buzzard's Roost is an awesome little campground in the Hoosier National Forest. There are no entry fees or camping fees. There are only 6 or so sites and a porta-potty. Very secluded with great hiking and an amazing view of the Ohio River right from your campsite.

Hoosier National Forest - Buzzard Roost Recreation Area

Just keep an eye out for black widow spiders.... I also wouldn't recommend hiking down to the river in the dark.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    it's probably been 20 years since the last time i went, but i used to love camping in greene-sullivan state forest when i was a kid. don't think i ever saw more than 1-2 other people on whatever lake we picked to fish.

Top Bottom