• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G3Fanatic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Southeast Indianapolis
    I'm a pretty avid camper, but as avid as I may be, I've camped maybe three places out of the whole state.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some nice locations based on secludedness, price, population, activities etc.

I've been to Morgan-Monroe state forest, Harrison-Crawford state forest, Paynetown which is on Lake Monroe, and Yellowwood.

Where else can I find a real secluded place to check my bug out gear and just enjoy the outdoors?:rockwoot:

kong1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Pendleton
    I prefer to go to south Indiana for our camping when we can. There are some beautiful state parks down on the Ohio river that I can recommend. Just go to the link below and you can check them all out. My favorite is Clifty Falls just outside of Madison, then a bit farther west off 62 is Johnstown state park. It doesn't get very busy there for some reason and it's real nice with lots of hiking and plenty of wildlife. I'd recommend either one....
    https://www.indiana.reserveworld.com/index.cfm

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I prefer to go to south Indiana for our camping when we can. There are some beautiful state parks down on the Ohio river that I can recommend. Just go to the link below and you can check them all out. My favorite is Clifty Falls just outside of Madison, then a bit farther west off 62 is Johnstown state park. It doesn't get very busy there for some reason and it's real nice with lots of hiking and plenty of wildlife. I'd recommend either one....
    https://www.indiana.reserveworld.com/index.cfm

I would have to second that. There are some fantastic caves and canoeing down there too. Six Flags is also not too far of a drive if you need somewhere to take the kiddies for the day. We stayed in the O'Bannon State Park in the horsemans camp (I think that was the name). It was very secluded, first come first serve, and beautiful!!!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    These are pretty standard fare but worth a look. A couple might suit you.

Pate Hollow
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hoosier/recreation/pate_hollow.htm

Charles C. Deam Wilderness
    Deam Wilderness

Yellowwood Forest
    DNR: 404 - Page Not Found
    Yellowwood State Forest, an Indiana State Park near Bloomington, Centerton, Nashville, Southport, Woodbridge
    We usually do the Scarce O' Fat Trail or the Lake Trail.

McCormick's Creek State Park
    Almost any trail would be fine. The trail with the Wolf Cave and the Twin Bridges is popular.

Morgan-Monroe State Forest
    Rock Shelter Loop and the Mason Ridge Loop trails are adjacent, so we can hike them both together.

Green's Bluff Nature Preserve
    The Nature Conservancy in Indiana - Green’s Bluff
    A short trail (maybe a mile and a half), but very pretty.

Brown County State Park
    Almost any trail would be fine.

Spring Mill State Park
    Again, almost any trail would be fine.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    go to any state park through the week and it is a different atmosphere. We really don't have back country camping in Indiana. (You can do it but its just not allowed :D . You can go down to Lake Patoka and do a hike in or float around at a primitive camp. DNR does allow this at this location. Hike about a mile or paddle about an hour. I rec. the paddle around you can set up pretty much on the water and dnr does not get upset. Just make sure you canoe is completely out of water. Price is negligible.

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    I honeymooned at the national lake shore campgrounds (NOT the state camp sights) and they were secluded from each other. we were a short drive drive the dunes, and the other beaches up here, so there was enough for us to go and do.
    fifteen years ago it was $10 a night, not sure what it is now.

G3Fanatic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Southeast Indianapolis
    Ashkelon We really don't have back country camping in Indiana. (You can do it but its just not allowed :D .[/quote said:
    This is what makes me depressed. I've always enjoyed roughing it and the fact that it's not allowed just irks me, because it's not like I would be harming the environment. I make it my goal to leave my area as clean (if not cleaner) than I found it. I understand there are some rotten apples who would abuse the privilege, but that shouldn't spoil the fun for all of us :rolleyes:

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    Anyone know of a place within a 5 or 6 hour drive of Indy that you can drive some trails with an 4x4 and jus5t find a place along the trails to camp?

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    This is what makes me depressed. I've always enjoyed roughing it and the fact that it's not allowed just irks me, because it's not like I would be harming the environment. I make it my goal to leave my area as clean (if not cleaner) than I found it. I understand there are some rotten apples who would abuse the privilege, but that shouldn't spoil the fun for all of us :rolleyes:

Shame isn't it. There are some beautiful places in Indiana that are off the beaten path

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    check out REI or backcountry.com You will find every range of price and/use available. I have always liked my MSR but I have a single burner Coleman that I have taken all through the lower 48 and I just can't kill it. Bulletproof but takes those bulky small propane bottles. But they are still very economical.

HoosierShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Shelby
    Last edited:

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Rock out the Hoosier National Forest.

If you have gear questions, I worked for a couple years at J.L. Waters in Bloomington, have been through clinics for 50 manufacturers or so, gotten advanced training (15-20+ hours) on 15 brands or so, and am a general gear junkie/snob.

For the poster asking about stoves, I would go either MSR or SnowPeak, but you're going to have to give me way more details on what your goals and uses are for me to have any hope of answering your question.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom