• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    I've been camping since I was a baby, and I suspect others here are the same. Some might just be getting started.

What have you learned along the way?

cooking, packing, dogs, kids, hiking, ect.

1. Welding gloves are great for moving logs and food on the fire. throw away your pot holders.

2. When you chain up your pet, chain them far enough away that they can reach your chairs, but not close enough to get wrapped around anything. ditto for food / water bowls.

3. mosquito's love blue

4. if your car camping, you owe it to yourself to invest in cast-iron cookware.

next....

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Pack some field guides for tree identification, fish identification, plants, and bugs.
    It will give you something to do with the Kids and fight boredom. Gotta keep them interested or they will just want to stay home.
    Kids love collecting plants and bugs and then you can help look them up. Rewarding for everyone.

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    Before you leave the campground, ride your bike around the whole place scoping out the best spots. Write em down. Next year call in advance and book those campsites. I'm goin to Starve Hollow next week for 4 days.
    :rockwoot:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Buy permetherin in the garden area and mix it in a windex bottle to the potency of the spray can in the camping area. Then you have enough to flea dip the dog and keep ticks and mosquitos off you for years. Plus it doesn't stink and make you feel all greasy like deet. I spray it on every thing, folding chairs deer and turkey blinds, hunting clothes, tent, hammok, the dog, the porch, shoes, pants, and hats. Chem warfare is where it's at. When it comes to ticks, kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out.

Thermacell for deer hunting when you have to sit still or those twilight hours in camp especially on fishing trips to the north woods. Permethrin and Thermacell, here's to true men of genius.:cheers:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    If you are new to camping, start with camping in your back yard. You will learn, but not be so far from home or help that you will be miserable and give up. Camp at least five time in your back yard and learn close to home before running off to the woods.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Just some of the stuff I've learned over the years...

-Always be prepared
    -Bring a foam something to lay on. Laying on bumpy ground through the bottom of the tent sucks
    -Bring a back up lantern
    -Handy wipes are great
    -Canned fruit, especially at altitude

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    If camping with your wife, make sure that your camping area is not more then three crying fits from the nearest hotel with hot water and electricity. just sayin'

hountzmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    SE Indiana
    Try and camp on weekdays. The parks are way too crowded on the weekends.

Also before Memorial day and after Labor day are better too. Especially on the weekdays. You will have the place to yourself.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    This one is very important for the health of our forests. PLEASE do not take firewood with you. This is the number one method of spreading the Emerald Ash Borer to other parts of our state. Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) is an insect pests that infects only ash trees but will attack all varieties of ash. Infestations of EAB are fatal to the population of ash trees. If you would like further information on how to identify this insect and it's damage pm me and I can give you further details.

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    Which one, 19 or 13? I go to the same one there all the time. Nice park.

Dont know which sites, this will be my first time there. Goin with entire family. Brother, sisters, mom and dad, aunts uncles, cousins. Should be interesting. According to my dad, we have a site that is next to a lake and can walk right down and fish. I gave them the $$, they bought the sites. Its quite a drive for me I guess.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    If you camp with a wife & kids, try to get a spot as close to the restroom/showers as possible, but still far enough away that the smell won't ruin your stay :D.

Get either flip flops or shower shoes to wear while taking a shower, and a small plastic cleaning supply carrier/basket, with a handle in the middle works great to carry all of your shower stuff in. Get the kind that "nest" together so they take up less storage space.

Those big storage tubs -w- lids, the 80 or 100 quart size, make great food storage containers, will keep the dry stuff dry and help keep the bugs and small animals out.

The same tubs also work great for packing cloths in. They can be stacked up in a small travel trailer, or travel in the back of a truck with out worrying about things getting wet if it rains. Just be sure to secure the lids on so they do not blow off if in a pick up bed. If inside space is limited, they can sit "covered" outside overnight.

Raccoons "can and will" get into most locked coolers. Keep "EVERYTHING" edible in a place they can not get to. (In a tent is not an option, they will tear through the side to get to food)

If you go camping more than once, you will get rained on! Make sure to take rain gear, the kids may not like them, but poncho's rule for ease of use.

Last edited:

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    If you go to Raccoon lake on labor day, they have fireworks. Its a pretty amazing display and well worth the crowded campground. Get there during the week and stay for the weekend (and fireworks). :)

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    oops

Never thought of that maybe he was trying to keep them all for himself!!
    LOL
    I took one with me so She knew what was going on ! when it rained it really did give off the garlic oder

Top Bottom