• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    Going camping this weekend and going to test out my bug out bag! any suggestions for some fun things to try other than building primitive shelter?

Ebrueckmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I enjoy challenging myself in various ways. Purposely taking less food than needed and forcing myself to "live off the land" is always satisfying. Its not really fun, but I've always felt accomplished afterwords.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Going camping this weekend and going to test out my bug out bag! any suggestions for some fun things to try other than building primitive shelter?
    Figure 4 triggers, primitive fire starting (hand drill, or bow drill with paracord or shoelace). Mastering these 2 could occupy several days.

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    Figure 4 triggers, primitive fire starting (hand drill, or bow drill with paracord or shoelace). Mastering these 2 could occupy several days.

Can anyone recommend good videos on how to do figure 4's? the idea fascinates me but seeing it on TV is waaaaay different than trying it lol!

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Compass and topographic map to practice orienteering. Practice finding north at night using the stars.

Some rope or paracord to practice knots and lashings.

See if you can find things in your BOB in the dark. Where is your first aid kit, can you find it in the dark without a flashlight?

Take a hike with you BOB. Is it comfortable, is load distributed, do you hear metal clanking?

Do you have something to boil water?

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    yes near a body of water! plan on fishing for supper! ;) Primitive fire making is something i might have to practice as well!

try doing a native fishing trap.
    hqdefault.jpg

all you need is a bunch of sticks.

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    I bought a magnifying glass at Chi-Mart for .94 cents and I've tried making a fire using this. If you have a bow, you might want to practice making arrows. You could also make a spear and see if you can go hunting for frogs at night....

hntrroy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Winslow IN

I learned about primitive fire starting from an old mountain man when I was in Boy Scouts. The best wood to use for drill and fire board is dry willow if you can find it. But any wood that doesnt have a pitch or sap in it will do. I have a grand total of 6 fires to my name so far. "It ain't easy" (as the old man said to me).Good luck and be safe. God bless you.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    Shelter

Take a tent but take a tarp and practice building a tarp shelter. This will require you to practice using various knots. Print out some sheets on knots so you can do step by step. On your next trip, build a primitive shelter.

Fire

Practice starting a fire using different materials and different styles. You might even have some kindling in your bag. Make some charcloth. Practice batoning. Try a concealed fire. Make a signal fire.

Water

Try tablets, try boiling, or whatever you have to take care of your water needs.

Food

Eat a meal using only things from the wild. Eat a worm. Properly identify 5 edible plants and poisonous plants. Identify some trees. Use a fishing kit from your bag. Track some animals and learn what they do. Eat some bannock.

Navigation

Honestly, I'd dedicate a day trip to practice this so you can really concentrate on understanding what you're doing without having to worry about your other needs. You could practice using a signal mirror. Trail marking.

Medical

What if this happens? What if that happens? Disclaimer: Do not really break your leg to practice how to treat a broken leg.

Sitting around the fire in the evening

Make charcloth, practice your knife sharpening, Smores, bacon, paracord braclelet or wrap some handles, make feather sticks.

Other than that, take the stuff out of your bag and use it.

Top Bottom