• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwhites4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    well, my 2 cents... I've been pulled over on campus by CAMPUS police for a minor traffic violation. I had my gun in a OWB holster on my hip. I notified the officer i was indeed carrying (would prefer to not have a Glock in my ear) and he went through the motions like a State officer would. Not once did he quote the weapons rules for campus, he did ask if i lived on campus though (do not). But I am still attending school and have not been contacted by the dean's office yet (after 6 months). So i'm sure I'm in the clear. Now, if I were on the sidewalk which is owned by the university, I am sure I would be expelled for carrying on school property.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    No, but he keeps one handy.

BOOM! Headshot!

headshot.gif

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The OP is a student. He has more than just the law to consider. If the University does not allow handguns on campus he has to consider the consequences, and that could include expulsion.

In my first example the subject does not break any laws, but being a student, is still subject to possible disciplinary action from the school.

In my second example, the subject (still a student) does not have his LTCH, and is breaking the law by having a handgun with him at all. In addition to the criminal charges he may face, he also faces possible disciplinary action by the school.

in my third example, the police act against an otherwise law-abiding armed citizen (this time not a student) for 'being caught' armed (otherwise legally) on campus. Since campus is a 'gun-free' zone the police could (legally or not) choose to 'make an example' of your visit. Is it right? Of course not. Could it happen?

Do you really doubt it?

I'm glad you care what the LAW says, but that is only partially relevant to the OP's question.

So, that's the last I have to say to you (TF), until you lose the attitude.

-Paul

Well, if you payed attention to the part I quoted then that is what I was referring to. If you let cops "hassle" you when you have broken no laws that is your own fault. You should know the law and how to assert your rights at all times.

I think I have a pretty good idea about getting hassled by cops in public places about guns! Did you hear about that guy at a zoo? He was thrown out of a public zoo for openly carrying a handgun. There is now a lawsuit against the city for their actions. That is how you assert your rights when cops are clueless, not roll over and do what they say just because they are cops.

And BTW, sidewalks are public property too.

live2hunt009

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Thanks for all the explanations. I also went ahead and checked a campus map and the two roads that I was questioning where considered part of campus but only in certain sections. I'm a second semester Junior so it's not worth getting expelled over. However I think it's bull that the campus can "claim" ownership in these areas.

ab1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    Because a degree is sooo useful when you are dead. Ba dthings happen in No Gun Zones too.

You missed the point. Read the entire post....I didn't advise him not to carry, just to be careful.

Would be a shame to get kicked out of school after, say, 3 years and some $40-50,000 in education. Try getting into another school after that. Bottom line, if you get caught carrying/printing/etc on a campus that has 'banned' guns you will more than likely be expelled. Ignoring that fact is just irresponsible.

Let's say you get pulled over on campus property, officer sees you have ltch, asks if you have a gun. You give the standard 'I have nothing illegal in my vehicle'...officer decides to ignore your rights (maybe he's just not 'educated' on gun laws like we all are) and orders you from the car to conduct an illegal search, firearm is discovered, and he hauls you in for some nonsensical charge. You get a lawyer, prosecutor drops case immediately, college doesn't care though and still expells you.

I'll stand by my post...if you choose to carry on campus, and ignore their 'rules', do it very carefully.

Top Bottom