Can a folding saw to replace a hatchet and/or big chopper?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    To everything, a purpose.

Obviously, you can't carry everything with you.
    But if I'm camping, and not hiking all day with the gear on my back, I'm going to have a knife, a saw, and an axe or hatchet.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Tippecanoe County
    I usually carry an ESEE-6, Izula II, a fiskars camp axe, and a bahco laplander folding saw. The laplander is very lightweight, efficient and hardly noticible in my pack. There isn't much I couldn't do with the combination of those 4 tools.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    A good in between tool is the Cold Steel Gurkha Machete. I have one and take it camping up in the Boundary Waters with the Boy Scouts as well as using it in my back yard. It's handy for most things short of cutting down trees.

Of course I ALSO pack a hatchet that is like a small ax, a small hatchet and a saw along with the various knives folding and not...tools tend to have specific purposes. Sort of like the selection of a bullet. If you can only buy one...a cutting edge is the key to survival everywhere. Without it you're just a toothless beast. Everything else from there is up hill.

lava dog 1/3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    indianapolis
    Spend the money for one of those expensive silky saws if you want to. I'll use the cheapy model and have wood at the end of the night. BS back to ya. It's apparent you have more money than brains. Personally, I don't care if you carry a chainsaw. That stupid piece of crap was meant to draw in the suckers, and you took the bait.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Spend the money for one of those expensive silky saws if you want to. I'll use the cheapy model and have wood at the end of the night. BS back to ya. It's apparent you have more money than brains. Personally, I don't care if you carry a chainsaw. That stupid piece of crap was meant to draw in the suckers, and you took the bait.

:rolleyes: Try adding something constructive to the discussion instead of insulting people.

lava dog 1/3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    indianapolis
    I believe I did. Have read all the post here? Someone called BS to me and I replied back. Maybe you should add something constructive here. I see nothing of an opinion on saws replacing chopping tools in your post. But thanks for the chance to add a post.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I believe I did. Have read all the post here? Someone called BS to me and I replied back. Maybe you should add something constructive here. I see nothing of an opinion on saws replacing chopping tools in your post. But thanks for the chance to add a post.

:rolleyes: Really? It is obvious that you are the one that has not read the complete thread or did you just happen to miss post #7 & 12?

lava dog 1/3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    indianapolis
    I seen them. I added my 2 pennies as well. It seems you have something against what I say. Where does this anger stem from? Have I offended you somewhere? You know they have medication that can help with that. thanks for the chance to post.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County

Here's the one warning you get lava dog 1/3.

I see you're new here. The tone of several of your posts seems confrontational. On INGO, we have civil discussions. People are certainly allowed to disagree, but there is no room for name calling or language you wouldn't use in the presence of your kids/mother/boss.

LMW

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers

I see you're new here. The tone of several of your posts seems confrontational. On INGO, we have civil discussions. People are certainly allowed to disagree, but there is no room for name calling or language you wouldn't use in the presence of your kids/mother/boss.

LMW

Thank YOU!!!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A good in between tool is the Cold Steel Gurkha Machete. I have one and take it camping up in the Boundary Waters with the Boy Scouts as well as using it in my back yard. It's handy for most things short of cutting down trees.

On my Boundary Waters trips I carry a small hatchet, a Sven Saw and a Leatheman. I use all of them during the trip. I am a minimalist and pack light for canoe camping and I consider those essentials. I cut the strings off my teabags to save weight!

LMW

Your are kind sir!

lava dog 1/3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    indianapolis
    No, thank you. I see this is not a discussion type forum. It appears to be a dictatorship. I called no names here nor did I use language. I stated that a particular tool was to expensive for the return benefit. And the "noob" got insulted here. He called "BS" on me. I cant defend my opinion here? Classic! I read a post that the 'noobs' need to grow thick skin here. I would contest that the elders need grow some as well. If this is insulting than I guess I'm done. Thanks but, no thanks.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    No, thank you. I see this is not a discussion type forum. It appears to be a dictatorship. I called no names here nor did I use language. I stated that a particular tool was to expensive for the return benefit. And the "noob" got insulted here. He called "BS" on me. I cant defend my opinion here? Classic! I read a post that the 'noobs' need to grow thick skin here. I would contest that the elders need grow some as well. If this is insulting than I guess I'm done. Thanks but, no thanks.

i call BS on that one. You take any cheap saw and I will take a silky and out cut you any day of the week. I have run many small saws and by far the silky is tops, nothing even comes close.

I disagree with your statement that you called no names.

Hammer called BS on your statement. That's kinda saying, "I disagree".

You stated, "It's apparent you have more money than brains."

That's kinda an insult.

So, are you going to continue on this path, yell at everyone and tell them how unfair we are? Or get to know everyone?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Calling BS on your statement is not quite insulting you.
    You can however defend your statement.
    You could have maybe said that your cheaper knife will cost less to replace, and that in the long run, you would spend less money and effort.
    Or you could have said the quality difference between them are minimal.
    Or you could say a lot.

And if you're done..... then I guess you didn't get the definition of a thick skin.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Hey, lava dog 1/3. Be cool man, Were all friends around here. Its sometimes hard for people new to INGO to realize this isnt Ar15.com. No biggie though if you like being friendly stick around, I'm sure you will make some actual friends here. Let's just move on ;)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    -snip- On my Boundary Waters trips I carry a small hatchet, a Sven Saw and a Leatheman. I use all of them during the trip. I am a minimalist and pack light for canoe camping and I consider those essentials. I cut the strings off my teabags to save weight! -snip-

Yeah...I portage a circa '65 aluminum SEARS canoe...weight it just a thing...and generally that 'thing' gets us to the portage first. Once you get it moving there's nothing like momentum.

Top Bottom