Can an IL resident carry a handgun in IN if they have a FL or UT permit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Just like the title says. I know someone who is a resident of IL, has FOID, a FL and a UT permit, but wants to be able to carry in IN.

My guess is that they currently cannot, because (I think) IN only honors permits issued from the state of residence.

He may be able to get an out-of-state permit though, so that may be the way to go.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I believe to get a non-resident Utah CCW you have to have a CCW/LTCH from your home state. Can you even get one in IL currently?

I just applied for the Utah CCW and they wanted a copy of my home state credential.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Illinois residents are totally screwed. Far as I know they can't get an out of state CCW and their state does not issue currrently.

Indiana, according to the map I cited above, does not reciprocate Vermont, DC or Illinois.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Heh - this issue is as clear as mud. Thanks for all of the replies thus far.

Yes, IL residents can get non-resident UT, FL and IN licenses/permits/LTCH (respectfully).

The rules for obtaining a non-resident IN LTCH is not seemingly posted on any IN gov't website that I can find. I see someone mentioned that you have to have a business here in IN, but the code mentions some other parameters. If someone has a link to an official statement on the requirements, that would be awesome, because I haven't found any yet.

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

edit:
    I'm thinking the highlighted above means it's all good

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ok, let's break this down for the poor guy. Once again the INGO raptor pack has struck.:D

1. Can an IL resident carry in Indiana on a UT or FL license to carry?

Yes.

2. Does Indiana issue non-resident carry licenses?

Yes, if you have a bidness nexus to Indiana and you have to take care of da bidness here:

Indiana Code 35-47-2-3(a)(3):

(3) if the applicant is a resident of another state and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant has a regular place of business or employment.

because (I think) IN only honors permits issued from the state of residence.

I get this a bunch. This is an transitive property of the law at work.

One statute is a certain way, thus people believe that all laws are this way.

This is a handgun hunting reg (no out-staters handgun huntin' in Indiana) that gets mixed into the Indiana Code on handgun carrying.

A Chicago friend of mine owns property in Starke County. As he was having fingerprints done for Florida and Virginia licenses the Sheriff's Deputy and a CO from IDNR are yelling/voalizing loudly that he cannot carry a handgun in Indiana as he was a resident of Illinois.

He called me distressed and I explained to him that a hunting reg is being thrown into the mix, and hilarity ensues.:D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Illinois residents are totally screwed. Far as I know they can't get an out of state CCW and their state does not issue currrently.

I know more than several Illinois (Chicago even) residents who have multiple state carry licenses (heck one individual that I am aware of has eleven states).

Illinois does not issue (yet, shortly it will) unless you want to go through the hassles of being a private investigator (it is a royal pain).

IN even issues LTCH to non-citizens of the United States as well (with some restrictions under Federal law)

Correct, more than several Purdue grad students who are not citizens have LTCHs. After 9/11 State Police attempted to revoke carry licenses of non-citizens, they were unsuccessful in the cases that I am aware of.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Ok, let's break this down for the poor guy. Once again the INGO raptor pack has struck.:D

1. Can an IL resident carry in Indiana on a UT or FL license to carry?

Yes.

2. Does Indiana issue non-resident carry licenses?

Yes, if you have a bidness nexus to Indiana and you have to take care of da bidness here:

Indiana Code 35-47-2-3(a)(3):

(3) if the applicant is a resident of another state and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant has a regular place of business or employment.

because (I think) IN only honors permits issued from the state of residence.

I get this a bunch. This is an transitive property of the law at work.

One statute is a certain way, thus people believe that all laws are this way.

This is a handgun hunting reg (no out-staters handgun huntin' in Indiana) that gets mixed into the Indiana Code on handgun carrying.

A Chicago friend of mine owns property in Starke County. As he was having fingerprints done for Florida and Virginia licenses the Sheriff's Deputy and a CO from IDNR are yelling/voalizing loudly that he cannot carry a handgun in Indiana as he was a resident of Illinois.

He called me distressed and I explained to him that a hunting reg is being thrown into the mix, and hilarity ensues.:D

I know more than several Illinois (Chicago even) residents who have multiple state carry licenses (heck one individual that I am aware of has eleven states).

Illinois does not issue (yet, shortly it will) unless you want to go through the hassles of being a private investigator (it is a royal pain).

Correct, more than several Purdue grad students who are not citizens have LTCHs. After 9/11 State Police attempted to revoke carry licenses of non-citizens, they were unsuccessful in the cases that I am aware of.

awwwyeah.gif

:yesway::D

Thanks man!

templar223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Thanks for straightening him out, gents.

We'll have licenses here in IL soon enough. Until then, I've got four in my wallet.

AZ, FL, NH, PA.

John

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Vermont, Arizona and Alaska are it: Handgunlaw.us

By the way, those three states do not require a permit - anyone eligible (no criminal record) can carry.

Indiana, according to the map I cited above, does not reciprocate Vermont, DC or Illinois.

What are you even talking about? No one mentioned the COnstitutional Carry states and you missed Wyoming anyway.

I have family from Illinois and they have Florida permits to carry when they travel so once again I don't know what you are talking about.

Indiana does not reciprocate with them because there is nothing to reciprocate! As soon as they have a permission slip from their nanny state Indiana will recognize it.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    I live in IL and carry in IN with my Utah permit. I qualify for a non resident IN permit but it seemed like the Utah was a better deal at the time since it covered more states.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    :n00b:

A few are partially incorrect here. You can ALSO work full time in Indiana and be a resident of Illinois and get a LTCH without owning a business.

I have one, I am a resident of IL and I work full time in Indiana.

I work for a Federal Agency so I sure DO NOT own it.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    What are you even talking about? No one mentioned the COnstitutional Carry states and you missed Wyoming anyway.

I have family from Illinois and they have Florida permits to carry when they travel so once again I don't know what you are talking about.

Indiana does not reciprocate with them because there is nothing to reciprocate! As soon as they have a permission slip from their nanny state Indiana will recognize it.

Went to handgunlaw.us, then click on each of those three states. It shows Indiana as nonrecip for those three states. That's what I'm talking about.

Also: Wyoming (according to the handgunlaw website) though it is a con-carry does not recognize non-residents. They select which states permits they recognize. kind of weird.
    Vermont does not issue a permit, but Arizona and Alaska still do even though they are con-carry states.

THEREFORE, if you are from Illinois and you do not possess an out of state permit, you may carry in Alaska, Vermont and Arizona (because they are con-carry and recognize non-residents).

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    UTAH:

Senate Bill 36

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]was signed by the Governor on 3/23/11 and Non Residents must meet additional requirements. This new law becomes effective for first time non resident applicants May 10, 2011 and for renewal of non resident permits 1/1/2012. Those requirements are: [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT]
    53-5-704.

(4) (a)

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit [/FONT][/FONT]

under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall:

(i)

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
    permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency; and
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    (ii)

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]submit a photocopy or electronic copy of the nonresident applicant's current concealed [/FONT][/FONT]
    firearm or concealed weapon permit referred to in Subsection (4)(a)(i).
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    (b)

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]A nonresident applicant who knowingly and willfully provides false information to the bureau [/FONT][/FONT]
    under Subsection (4)(a) is prohibited from holding a Utah concealed firearm permit for a period of 10

years.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    (c)

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Subsection (4)(a) applies to all applications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit that are [/FONT][/FONT]
    received by the bureau after May 10, 2011.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    (d)

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Beginning January 1, 2012, Subsection (4)(a) also applies to an application for renewal of a [/FONT][/FONT]
    concealed firearm permit by a nonresident.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    Note:

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]If you are a resident of a state that has reciprocity or honors a Utah Permit/License you must have a permit from your state of residence to apply after 5/10/11 and renew after 1/1/12. If you are from a state that doesn’t issue permit/licenses to carry or does not honor a Utah Permit/License you can apply or renew as in the past. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT]

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Florida:

Non-Residents apply the same way as residents. Follow the instructions in the Resident permit section.

 Two items to pay special attention to. If it says Signature of FL Notary any Notary can sign there. It does not have to be a FL Notary.

 Non Residents must submit the paper Fingerprint Cards. A Law Enforcement Agency must take those prints for you. Your Local PD or Sheriff can do that for you. They may have a slight charge. Make sure on the back of the card where it states "Location" the Name and Address of the Agency taking the prints must be entered there. If this is left blank they will return it.

Top Bottom