• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Recently, I've been buying handguns more frequently than I have in the past. I have various models, and I enjoy having a large variety. Now, I have a few buddies that I usually always shoot with who are just relentless with what I like to call "the Glock talk". Every time I even so much as mention a new purchase it's like opening pandoras box.

It's not that I'm against Glock, it's not that I'm a hater...I just can't figure out what's is so friggin' holy about them. Is there any reason I should own one other than just having one in the collection? I guess I just don't get the hype. :dunno:

***UPDATE***

Picked up my new Gen 4 G17 today. Absolutely LOVE IT. Feels like I'm wearing a latex glove when I hold it. Accurate, light, smooth trigger (for me I haven't been impressed with DAO firearms, until this one) and manageable recoil. I was shooting 4-5" groups at 7-10 yards. Never shoot that great with a new pistol. I dunno guys, I think I'm drinkin' the kool-aid now. Thanks to all who posted! Find a new love ;)

Last edited:

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    i have shot several diff. models and cals. of the glock. and the only one i can say i've been stuck on the the glock 22 in 40 cal.
    it's a personal thing. some people like the glock bewcause of it's name, some like it because it's simply a very reliable gun.
    again personally i can not afford to carry a kimber 1911 on my hip. but i would absolutly LOVE to!
    so my suggestion.. shoot theirs see what you think.. it never hurts to have just one that you like :rockwoot:

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    No help here.

I have three of them myself. I like them for what they are, a simple tool. Not sure what all the love or hate is about either. No one has ever made anything from a balloon to a bar of soap that is just right for everybody and I hope no one ever does. How incredibly boring that would be! :D

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    You should at least buy one and try it out. If you hate it then you can sell it and you will have you answer.

I love the simplicty, the quality and the great performance history.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    i have shot several diff. models and cals. of the glock. and the only one i can say i've been stuck on the the glock 22 in 40 cal.
    it's a personal thing. some people like the glock bewcause of it's name, some like it because it's simply a very reliable gun.
    again personally i can not afford to carry a kimber 1911 on my hip. but i would absolutly LOVE to!
    so my suggestion.. shoot theirs see what you think.. it never hurts to have just one that you like :rockwoot:

In my (limited) experience with them, I've shot a 19 (3rd gen) and a 17 (4th gen). I will admit, I liked the 17 (the 19 was a bit small for me). Threw on a different backstrap and it fit me well. That being said, I don't feel it peformed any better than say my SR9c. I don't know, perhaps I'm biased. I feel like Glock is the Apple of the gun world. ;)

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I have three of them myself. I like them for what they are, a simple tool. Not sure what all the love or hate is about either. No one has ever made anything from a balloon to a bar of soap that is just right for everybody and I hope no one ever does. How incredibly boring that would be! :D

Too true :yesway: Rep inbound..

EDIT: Never mind, it seems you dislike rep ;)

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    You should at least buy one and try it out. If you hate it then you can sell it and you will have you answer.

I love the simplicty, the quality and the great performance history.

I have shot a few, as stated above. I know they have great resale value though. Who knows perhaps I'll fall in love...

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Is there any reason I should own one other than just having one in the collection?

Frankly no. You either like them or you don't. If you do not, then don't buy one. There is nothing magical about them, and I am on my second one.

Of course, when my new carry gun arrives later this month, the Glock is getting sold.

Don't get me wrong...a Glock pistol is simple, reliable, accurate, easy to clean/fix/modify, relatively inexpensive and there is certainly no shortage of accessories and the like. But there are lots of guns like that. Further, their place in history is not going to be the same as the 1911 or a gun like the S&W Model 19.

As I said, if you don't like 'em, buy something else.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I have to ask while some of you knowledgeable Glock guys are still online; what's with the recoil spring problems on the 4th gens? I started looking around at 4th gen 17's and saw all types of FTE, FTF's...just all types of stuff. Anyone here have a 17 gen 4? Have any problems? I heard Glock sent out replacement springs? :dunno:

Maybe I'l have to go with a gen 3...

And one more thing...what's up with some gen 4's having different serrations? Did Glock initially go with this design, then scrap it for the more conventional look? It seems like there aren't many with the curved serrations...

Last edited:

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I have at one point owned a 26,27,19,23,22,and 17. I currently own and likely will never part with the 19 and 23...i favor the 23 because for some reason I am more accurate with it. But I think a lot of guys are into them because they just like the reputation of reliability in the name. To me its reliability, simplicity, and just how user-friendly they are. Oh and I hate cleaning my guns and I know if the glock misses a cleaning there will be no harm.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Yes Virginia.......

I have to ask while some of you knowledgeable Glock guys are still online; what's with the recoil spring problems on the 4th gens? I started looking around at 4th gen 17's and saw all types of FTE, FTF's...just all types of stuff. Anyone here have a 17 gen 4? Have any problems? I heard Glock sent out replacement springs? :dunno:

Maybe I'l have to go with a gen 3...

Yes there were some recoil spring issues with the early Gen.4 9mm pistols. This was caused by GLOCK attempting to use the same spring in both the 9mm and .40 S&W guns as a cost saving move. The recoil spring for the .40 was too strong for the 9mm especially if inexpensive(cheap) or week ammo was used. They have since replaced the springs with an appropriate to the caliber spring and this,by most all accounts, has resolved the issue. The hype to which you are referring is perpetuated primarily by the bashers you referred to in your OP. :)

PS: I have both Gen.3 and Gen.4 in both .40 and 9mm and have not experienced any of these issues with just over 9000 rounds downrange between the pistols. 4728 rounds now fired through my Gen.4 G22.as of last Tuesday. :D

Top Bottom