• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I'm not trying to start a flame/brand war - I'm just honestly curious. What's the fascination some people have with Glocks? Is it just a respect/appreciation for pure function over form? I mean, to me, they just have no sense of "style" and look, I don't know, very plain/generic. Sure, a gun is a tool, I know, but still... I like a certain look in a gun.

I'm looking to add another quality 9mm ... and I'm trying to understand the "Glock thing."

Gee this sounds familiar...........

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/68384-what_s_so_great_about_a_glock.html

What's so great about a Glock?

First off, I don't mean to start a big fight or anything, but I want to as a serious question regarding the Glock popularity. Why are Glocks so popular?

The GLOCK ROCKS :rockwoot:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Post recycling is great! I only had to change a few things from the last time I wrote this :D

What's so great about Glocks? Others have said it best, simple, inexpensive, reliable. Other guns are better, but not many have all three in combination.

A lot of people hate Glocks. Some have actually fired them enough to be able to have an honest opinion. Others are just parroting the popular line and being cool because they can talk trash about something. The haters will take any instance of a Glock having problems and use that as justification.

Other people love Glocks and have fired them enough to have formed an honest opinion. Others just love the Glocks because they are tacticool and all the cops carry one. The lovers will make an excuse for any instance of a Glock having problems.

Me, I wasn't too thrilled about them when they first came out. Then my ex boss had a G17 and I fired it on the range with him. WOW. The first time picking it up I was able to put ten rounds on the black at 50'. This was back before I'd had much experience shooting pistol and I was lucky to keep rounds on the paper at that range with most of the pistols I owned. He then a few months later sent out an email offering it for sale. I responded immediately, but it had already been sold. A while later Glock came out with the G29 and I bought one of the first produced. I mean, 10mm in a compact package in a reliable gun, there was no choice. I now own a G20 (10mm full size) and a G21 (.45acp full size), my GF owned a G36 (.45acp subcompact lost in the fire) and now owns a G21. I can keep a 2" circle at 50' with any of my Glocks. The G20 and 29 are my daily carry weapons, and I have something around 8000 rounds through the G29 and about a thousand through the G20 (purchased a couple years ago).
    Oh, and Glock offers a public safety personnel discount so as an EMT I can get a pretty good price on them. I am very, very hard on my equipment. I do a lot of things in my hobbies that would give some folks heart failure. I am not a fanatic about cleaning or keeping equipment looking shiny and new. Heck, I've trashed several Casio G-shocks over the years. Yet my G29 has gone bang every single time I've pulled the trigger regardless of what it's been through. I lube it every few months whether it needs it or not. It will not rust. You have to sand off the tennifer metal treatment to get it to rust and that's pretty hard to do.

I now have a Walther PPS in .40 (my first .40) as a deep concealment gun to replace the KelTec P32AT I carried, but if Glock offered a 10mm the size of the G36 I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Now that I have a .40S&W I have a .40 Lone Wolf barrel ordered for my G20, so I have a great deal of flexibility with my Glock.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It's no great mystery. The secret is crack. Glock uses crack as part of the manufacturing process for their frames, which soaks into the hands of it's users, which makes them feel they cannot live without their Glocks, and makes them very protective of them.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Everyone needs one. They are simple and user friendly.
    I would argue that they are almost as easy to clean as a wheel gun which can help novice shooters.

I have one and a sigma. I do perfer the sigma over the glock though. They are as close to identical firearms with different manufactors as possible. However the glock is more picky with ammo than the sigma is. I do wish that smith used the interchangable mags like glock though.

Shoot one you won't be disappointed, but then go and buy a sigma!:D

Grux

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    For me, I choose Glock because they shoot great, I haven't had any problems with them, and the price is always in my budget for what I want to pay.

Personally, I like the looks of them too!

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I carry a glock because I know it goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

I carry a glock because it is ugly and I don't care what I do to it, I can always get another cheap.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Glock Fascination

Never owned a Glock, have many others and am interested in the gen4 22 in .40 or the gen3 23 with RTF, just to see if I may like either one. Life is all about trying something new and different, to grow and share new experiences, otherwise life will pass you by in the blink of an eye, leaving you sitting on the log. Try it, you may like it or not.

Glock19Dude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think just the opposite, I think they have their own awesome style and look, very sleak, black, dark. Simple, functional, customizable, and light weight. I have shout hundreds of reloaded rounds through them and have never had any issues.

If you want something that looks futuristic or "fancy" I'd look elsewhere. There are plenty of "pretty" guns out there.

^^^^ I agree 100%

I really like the simple look of the Glock's and the G19 was my first NEW pistol that I bought. I shot a friends G19 and knew I had to have one.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Can't explain the fascination... only thing I know is that resistance is futile. :D

Glock_throwdown.jpg

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Here is my 2 cents. :twocents: When Glocks first came out, I BELIEVE they were ahead of thier time, or at least the most progressive design out there at a reasonable price. (This is one of the rare times I'll say progressive, and mean it in a good way). It's my OPINION that they still carry that warm and fuzzy feeling to most people. Almost all the reasons I hear for "why Glocks are the best", also apply to nearly any modern quality fire arm. When they came out I wasn't really into shooting pistols, and no where near old enough to buy one. I've shot my dads Glock something in .40SW several times, it's a good gun. As are Rugers, Colts, Springfield Arms, HK, Wilson Combat Sigs and most other guns. There are not many quality guns that don't "go bang" when you pull the trigger. I've seen the underwater shooting that some folks praise Glock for, and I've seen 1911s do better at it in side by side tests (Though not in person). Granted they were nice 1911s, but still. Anyways, for the Glock fans, enjoy your Glocks, they are good guns. As for me, I don't like them as they're entirely too common, and I don't like that "clout" people seem to give them. In summary, it is my opinion that nearly all the "hype" about Glocks is true, they just don't mention that it's also true for most other guns.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Glock is the AK of pistols... they just work.... in all conditions.

Not made to be pretty, can fill them up with dirt, mud and muck and they just fire away.

Chris-B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I actually never really cared for Glocks….until I shot one. My dad and I went the range and I had my trusting Beretta 92fs and he had his G17, G34, and G27. After awhile I got curios about it so I loaded up some mags and went to town with the 17. Now I can't explain it other than personal performance, but the Glock fit. It felt natural. I shot the first 100 rds through the G17 and after that I was sold. Simple operation and utter reliability. I soon bought a G17 and recently traded that Beretta 92fs for a G26. I love them both.
    The thing that really got me drinking the kool-aid on Glock was GSSF. This is an amazing program that shows that the company cares about their customers.
    If you are interested, just shoot one. You will decide either way. No handgun is perfect for everybody but the Glock sure is close enough for me.

Top Bottom