• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Thanks so much for this thread. At thanksgiving me and my uncle was talking about my grandpa who served in WWII. He went to his safe and came back with a rifle very similar to this rifle. It does have the mum and bayonet. It was in great shape. He told me grandpa brought it back, he never said how he got, only that he talked a guy out of it. Having served for 7 years now and knowing the importance of my rifle I can only imagine one way of doing that.
    I've been wondering what this rifle was called and what round it shot, thanks again.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Save it, and one day give it to your grand kids. Money come's & go's, heirlooms last forever.

^^^^This^^^^ I'll never sell my Type 38, even though the bore is a wreck. It belonged to a friend whose dad brought it back from WWII. My friend isn't a "gun guy" so he sold it to me (after a little coaxing). I remember it from our childhood and I will never get rid of it.

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    Have the chamber checked out or do it yourself..Someone told me that a lot of arisakas(t99) were reamed out to 30.06, bullet is smaller (.308) compared to the 7.7x58(.311) but was easier to find .06 than the 7.7 JAP ammo

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Have the chamber checked out or do it yourself..Someone told me that a lot of arisakas(t99) were reamed out to 30.06, bullet is smaller (.308) compared to the 7.7x58(.311) but was easier to find .06 than the 7.7 JAP ammo
    Yes to this. Use an empty 30.06 case. The ones I'd worry about would be a little rougher in appearance. Think this was done for Korean forces on any scale. Not likely, but prudent.

Ungie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Connecticut
    My uncle brought one back from WWII. I have always coveted it. My uncle used to clean it regularly. It still had it's bayonet also.

VIETVET191

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    It is definitely a type 99. The single vent hole in the top of the receiver is the clue. The type 38 had two holes.

One good way to tell a "Last Ditch" is usually the butt plate was made of a thin piece of wood rather than metal. At that point of the war their supply of metal was almost exhausted and they cut corners wherever they could.

The type 99 chambered the 7.7.

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    Interesting thread, I knew about the mum, but not about the quick way to tell the difference between the type 99 & 38. Thanks to VIETVET191.

Top Bottom