• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 68kidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hanover
    I am looking to start reloading. Can anyone tell me where to look and give me a price range i should expect to spend? Is it worth reloading or should i buy new?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Ii depends, on how much you think you are going to reload... I started out with a single stage RCBS, and still use it 30 years later. I want to upgrade, but just don't shoot enough... Initial investment is $100.00-$300.00 depends on if you buy new or used... You can start with a kit, Lee, or RCBS, get with someone, and have them help you set it up, show you the basics, and off you go... get a couple of MANUALS, Speer, Lyman etc... READ, READ, READ.....

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I agree SSGAD I would start with a Single Stage press and learn how to reload before you make a move into a progressive press. If you are mostly going to load pistol though single stage will get old fast but you will probably prefer single stage for rifle.
    Spend for quality the first time around, RCBS single stage or Dillon or Hornady for progressive :twocents:

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    the most accurate bullets i shoot are those i've loaded myself. that being said, i don't save a dime by reloading, but i sure shoot waaaay more than i did before i started! once you start, it's addictive!

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    One more vote for starting with a single stage. I bought my first press over 20yrs ago and I am still using it. I now have two single stage presses so my son and I can both be reloading at the same time. I have never felt the need for a progressive press, might be faster but I have more control over each and every round with mine. The link below is for an RCBS Rockchuker kit, buy this kit and you will be set to reloads for years.

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit - MidwayUSA

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    BEFORE you can decide on a system you need to consider what you are shooting and how much you are shooting.

If you are an avid pistol shooter, but shoot no rifle, and you shoot a couple hundred rounds a week or more (or you want to but can't afford it), then look at the smaller progressive presses. Dillon Square Deal or even the Dillon 550.

If you shoot a lot of semi-auto rifles and burn through a couple hundred rounds a week or more (or you want to but can't afford it), then go up a step and start looking at the Dillon 550 or the Hornady LNL systems. Either of those is good for pistol and for short action rifle.

Any of these above 3 mentioned progressives will churn out hundreds of rounds per week without any trouble. I've owned the Dillon 550b and currently own the Hornady LNL system. Each has its own advantages. Flip a coin, some of it comes down to personal choice.

If you are looking for ultra accurate long range shooting or ultra precise hunting loads, or specialized load development for pet wildcats then look at the RCBS turret, the RCBS Rock Chucker, or the Sinclair single stage presses.

Just want to economize on some handgun ammo and only shoot one caliber, then there are a couple small LEE presses that would suit your needs, even their progressives, but they have a reputation of being tough to get set up so its generally recommended to use them for single caliber operations.

I will differ from the other folks here in that I will NOT tell you to start with a single stage press. I will strongly argue that if a single stage press is what you need, then buy it. But if a progressive is what you need, then jump in with both feet and buy a good one (Hornady or Dillon). Why spend hard earned money twice? Seriously this is not rocket science. I started with a Dillon progressive for handgun and a MEC progressive for shotgun. I never had any double charges, kabooms, or any real problems.

ASSESS YOUR REAL NEEDS then buy what you REALLY NEED. If you get a progressive then buy a simple bar scale, not a fancy electronic one unless you have too much money. You won't need a powder tricker. You will need a large tumbler! This is not too difficult if you take your time to learn. If you are going the single stage route for rifle accuracy then there is a whole lot of specialized equipment you can spend money on that is not needed/used for handgun blasting. So you really have to assess your needs.

I actually think its more difficult to load 20 rounds of specialty ammo for ultra accuracy for rifles than it is to pump out 500 rounds of 9mm competition ammo.

Iron Soldier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Ft Hood, Texas
    I'm a fan of Lee equipment. I'm on my third Lee reloader currently. I say that because I Have been in and out of reloading over the years but have always come back to the trusty red thing. For the price, it can't be beat!

Brett

Marksman
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    ECI
    +1 for Lee. For the price you can't beat it. That way, if you ever decide that reloading is not for you, then you are not out a huge amount of money. I got the Lee Challenger kit and I love it. I reload pistol rounds on it now, .45 ACP and 9MM. But I will probably also reload .223 in the future with it.

speedygoss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    +1 for the Dillon 550

Dillon 550 all the way. I shoot steal matches every Tues. night. I had been using (2) Lee load masters for 2 years. One set up for .40 S&W the other for .45 ACP. Everyone I competed with preached Dillon while I preached that I could accomplish the same task on the LEE load masters for less. (Remember at this point I hadn't used a Dillon.) About 4 months ago I decided to venture into the 3 gun events. I needed to load .223 on a large scale now. I decided to bite the bullet per say and bought a Dillon 550B. Lets just say I will never use a Lee progressive press again. Since I have sold both Lee Loadmasters and can change my Dillon 550 between .40 .45 and .223 reliably in under 10 minutes. Dillon is a little pricy but do yourself a favor and spend the money.

My recommendations for the O.P. would be this...

If you plan on loading Handgun calibers or "rifle range ammo" Dillon 550B for sure.

You can get into a new Dillon 550B for $420 for the press. It comes with (1) conversion kit (caliber specified when ordered) included in that price. (Dillon dies run about $65.00 however it takes standard 7/8-14 dies so you don't need to buy Dillons. If you are on a budget I wouldn't recommend buying all the fancy "extras" Bullet tray, strong mount roller handle etc, etc. Those can all be purchased latter if you choose to. The basic press and dies is all you'll to be more than satisfied.

Dillon also has there No B/S warranty. They don't care what happened whose fault it was everything is covered send or bring it in and it will be replaced or fixed.

If you plan on loading rifle loads for precision shooting or hunting any of the "good" single stage presses. I like the RCBS stuff but they all make a decent one.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Dillon 550. I got mine for $400 with 2 setups included. the real bonus with Dillon....If you dont like reloading you can get almost all your money back by selling it to someone that knows what they are worth.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    DILLON! Started on a 550, recently upgraded to a 650 with a casefeeder! Great service. AND I CANT BELIEVE I AM THE FIRST TO MENTION GREATEST CATALOGS EVER!!!

FatGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    I wanted to go blue, but the cash wasn't there. $350 bought the LoadMaster press with .45 acp dies, calipers, scale, primer pocket cleaning tool, 1# of Winchester 231, 200 Hornady cast LRN 230 grain bullets and a bag of brass. I had been buying primers before I had a press because they were difficult to find at the time.

Any blue press would have cost twice that much to get started. If you are reloading to save money and can't drop $500-600 to get started, Lee gets the job done really well for a lot less money.

Madison isn't too far from Jeffersonville. Next time you head south, set a little extra time aside to stop in at Reloaders Supply and talk to Dale. He can answer your questions and save on shipping costs for powder and primers.

Yes, Dillon does have awesome catalogs.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I too highly recommend Hornady LnL but I have never used a Dillon and they seem to be the standard

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I too would recommend that you get a Dillon 550. It isn't very difficult to set and and use. The customer service is very good when needed. Good luck making a wise decision, you will enjoy reloading.

Top Bottom