Can anyone suggest a Canadian black bear outfitter?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Talked to one of my old college buddies last night. We decided on a spring 2018 trip. We are leaning towards a bear hunt with fishing as an option or a Mexican whore house. Anyone have any input on either?

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Mexico trip would be cheaper
    I am going to Idaho this September. Tags in the area I am going are reduced and only $200 for a 2nd bear. Suppose to have three days fishing included.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Do a Google search for Pine Acres in Ontario. Took a trip up there in 2015. Our group totaled 12 and there were 8 other hunters in camp. Most of us were archery huntersthere were a couple of rifle hunters mixed in. We hunted the first week of the fall hunt. Of the 20 in camp, 18 killed bears and the two hunters who didn't harvest a bear had opportunities.

The camp owner has been guiding for over 20 years. He starts baiting a couple of months in advance and has trail cams set up to determine the number, age, and color phase of bears hitting the baits. The camp is usually booked up a year in advance. Their phone is 1-807-227-2073. Email address is Pineacres@bellnet.ca.

The accomdations are cabins in a small town with kitchens - prepare your own food. There is a restaurant nearby in the town if you aren't into cooking a whole lot. This is semi guided hunt. The outfitter will assign you to a stand and then take you out the first time you sit. Thereafter, you will drive yourself to the bait site and replenish the bait with bait provided by the outfitter. Having a 4 wheel drive truck is almost mandatory as the roads into the bait can sometimes be rough. You may hunt morning, evening, or sit all day if you like. I think they pretty much cut out the fishing part of the camp although they do have nice aluminum boats and Mercury motors and we fished one day when we were there.

If you'd like more info on my hunt send me a pm. I took a 400 lb bear using my bow. I don't know how to attach a pic but if you'd like to see the type of bear I took I'll be glad to also provide that. I'd say the average bear taken was around 200 lbs - but many of the guys were on their first hunt and they shot pretty much the first thing that came into the bait. There were a couple of bears taken the year we were there that were over 500 lbs. There is also a spring hunt now allowed in Ontario but I don't know the specifics on that. You can check the website for costs - but I found the price very reasonable based on the research we did. If you hunt later in the year you can also pay for a wolf tag. They do have a remote cabin that you are completely on your own although I wouldn't recommend that for a first time bear hunter.

Good luck if you do book a hunt. If you are a bow hunter it's even more fun than shooting one with a rifle. I shot my bear at 23 yards and it didn't go 20 yards before falling over dead. Shot placement is critical but a arrow will put a bear down in short order if you do your job.

Again, good luck with your hunt.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I did a fly in fishing trip with White River Air. I know they also do bear hunts and have a near 100% success rate. Not sure about in the spring though. They are a great outfit.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Check out Howey Bay Resort and Outpost. I have been going up there for about 20 years. I only go to fish, and the fishing is great, lots of huge northern and walleye. They also do bear and moose hunts, I can't think of a year we didn't see a bunch of bear and moose while fishing. It's really gods country and we have seen the northern lights on many occasions. Family run and they are great people. You get to fly out in an old Dehavilland Beaver or Otter to the outposts, it's pretty amazing. They are in Red Lake, Ontario.

Home - Howey Bay Resort and Outposts

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Depends where in Canada you're talking about. The taxidermist and processor who does my deer does Black Bear hunts in Ontario. He's taken some very nice bear.

Give him a call. He's a character, but he knows his stuff..

Realistic Taxidermy
    Address: 15820 Chestnut St Suite A, Lowell, IN 46356
    Phone: (219) 696-4219

He has some nice bear photos on his website...
    Realistic Hunting & Taxidermy

Last edited:
    Top Bottom