• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Django

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    New Haven
    Combat Commander is the second best fit in my hand (first being Luger P08)
    The weight is just right for solid, sweeping motions. Points naturally and feels as if you could use it to conduct. (great balance)
    Despite being 27-40 Oz. I hardly notice the weight. add to that the fact that commander length slides are easily concealable yet I can still get all my fingers on the grip...
    Maybe I just have an equine fetish. :D

Mac238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have 2 Kimber CDP's. One in the 5" (tack driver) and the CDP Ultra 3". Both are excellent 1911's. I shamefully sold to a friend a Colt Commander Mark IV that I had an ED Brown Bob, Night sights, internal sweets done to it. Shot like a dream.

Still like my Glock 30 that has went over 9500 rounds now without a burp. :o)

Mac238

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I love the feel of the 1911 but for dependable carry I will stick with a polymer or revolver. Personally, I have never seen any 1911 handle the abuse a polymer pistol can or meet its dependability. FYI I prefer Springfield XD and not Glock.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I love the feel of the 1911 but for dependable carry I will stick with a polymer or revolver. Personally, I have never seen any 1911 handle the abuse a polymer pistol can or meet its dependability. FYI I prefer Springfield XD and not Glock.

Really? Wow... I would have thought the 1911s would have suffered a certain amount of abuse in the course of 100 years of battlefield service LOL.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Really? Wow... I would have thought the 1911s would have suffered a certain amount of abuse in the course of 100 years of battlefield service LOL.

They have but it seems that I have seen many more 1911 pistols jam for various reasons at the range than a polymer. Not knocking the platform as I do like it a lot and have one but I feel the polymer pistols can take more abuse. Yes the 1911 has been around for a hundred years and through the wars but why do you read multiple threads about them having fail to fire and fail to eject issues and I am not just referring to cheaper models when Colts and others do it as well.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Is it just a human nature thing that causes folks to slam anything that someone else says they like?

I'll bet if I made a post praising clean air, half the posts would be singing the praises of smog, and accusing me of being an activist of some sort.

Why can't person A realize that he/she does not have to like anything that person B has, and is under no obligation to convince person B that whatever he/she has is good or bad.

Good grief, I'm glad you have what you have, and I hope you enjoy it. So quit with the pi$$in' contest, and get on with leaving each to his/her own choices.

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yup, just joined the club yesterday... :)

12.jpg

p.s., So far, haven't put the idiot mark on the frame, yet ... ;)

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Is it just a human nature thing that causes folks to slam anything that someone else says they like?

I'll bet if I made a post praising clean air, half the posts would be singing the praises of smog, and accusing me of being an activist of some sort.

Why can't person A realize that he/she does not have to like anything that person B has, and is under no obligation to convince person B that whatever he/she has is good or bad.

Good grief, I'm glad you have what you have, and I hope you enjoy it. So quit with the pi$' contest, and get on with leaving each to his/her own choices.

It is more about refuting misinformation then a pissing contest. You know how the glock guys can't stand it when someone says they are made of cheap plastic and will melt if you leave them in your car for a few hours? Well, with 1911 guys it's this questionable reliability myths that puts a burr in our saddle.

In any case it is usually that somebody gets a lemon and swears they're all that way or that their roommate's uncle's landlord had one that wouldn't work right. I don't care if anyone likes my gun of choice, but I take exception to spreading misinformation.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I've been messin' with firearms for many years, and have taught a few folks a few things...... but I've NEVER slammed anyone's choice of a firearm. To me, that's arrogance in the highest form. Their choice may not be my choice, but it is THEIR choice.

My beef is that a post directed at XYZ gun owners, seems to attract those who gleefully seize the opportunity to quote XYZ magazine, or XYZ author, or even that they had one of those 20 years ago, or generally stir the pot, as long as they can discredit the guns posted about.

If a post appeared asking " How does your Winchester Model 94 shoot?" You can bet someone would post.. "My marlin 336 will out-shoot the model 94 every time".

Somebody failed to lock the rubber room door.

That's probably why my post count isn't higher...... Perhaps I need to find some posts to stir up.... seems to be the thing to do ......:soapbox:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Now that is not really fair. The OP is asking for help here. He didn'y say 1911 is best, he is looking for answers as to why HE loves the 1911.

Having overcome the 1911 thing and moved to Glock I am perhaps the most qualified person in Indiana, if not the entire internet to answer his question.

First, the Glock will never be pretty nor win a beauty contest. It sucks as a skull crusher or hammer. If you are ever going to move away from the 1911 you have to be able to love a gun for it's inner beauty.

You will never totally forget the 1911 and will often wish you had just one again. After about 10 years it is OK to go back and get one, but just one. This is a process of inner discovery and self awareness you have to go through to find the true answer.

I would argue that while the 1911 has many wonderful virtues the OP is unable at this time to open his myopic view of the world and will therefor always love 1911's. The OP does not want to know the truth but is instead looking for reinforcement of his decision.

To the OP I say it is OK to love unconditionally and is an admirable quality.

lucy.jpg

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    That's probably why my post count isn't higher...... Perhaps I need to find some posts to stir up.... seems to be the thing to do ......:soapbox:
    Not to thread jack, but yeah, that is what you are going to have to do. If you would like, I would be willing to engage you in a few BS threads, agreeing ahead of time we are just doing it for post count and we will not take any of it personal.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I wasn't meaning to stir up the post hounds with my input nor did I mean to totally put down the 1911. I think they are by far the best looking handgun their is. My dream pistol for my collection is a WWII Colt all original. I was just saying my opinion of the mechanics. Yes they feel great to shoot and even better than any polymer I have shot but I have reservations on it. As far as 1911's my favorite are the full size models and my absolute favorite design is the Springfield operator.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Duuuuuuuuh.......................Cause she's hot! Hopefully she won't get too jealous when you "need" another one. And .......yes you will.

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    The 1911 is just so great. Fits the hand good. Usually shoots good(I have to do my part). And just has a feel and look to it. I have always loved the 1911 style after first shooting one almost 30 years ago.

Top Bottom