• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fastang50

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Search didn't get me anything.

Similar to the question about a MG. I've got my stamp for a 223 SBR. I know I'd have to retain the original upper, but could I swap on a shorty 9mm upper for instance? If the answer is yes I'll get a letter from the ATF, if it's no I won't waste my time asking.

Thanks.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Yes you can change the cal legally on your SBR. As long as you retain the original barrel or upper you don't need to notify ATF. If you get rid of the original cal than you could consider the swap a "permanent change" and ATF requests that you notify them of permanent changes. Its not a requirement however and if you don't want to say anything you don't need to.
    Hope that answers the question and you don't need to send a letter to ATF for clarification. You can look at their website FAQ on short barreled rifles and shotguns.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Short Barreled Rifles and Shotguns

Sending in letters doesn't help much and takes a lot of time from work they could otherwise be doing. When the answers are out there don't send letters.

Hope that helps

Frank

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Sending in letters doesn't help much and takes a lot of time from work they could otherwise be doing. When the answers are out there don't send letters.

Hope that helps

Frank

You mean like the time it takes for our stamps to make it through the system?

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    You mean like the time it takes for our stamps to make it through the system?

no, transfers are done by NFA branch, not tech branch. Legal determinations are done by Tech branch.

My comment was more referring to the overwhelming need some guys have to send letters into tech to get rulings on stuff that is really pretty clear. Others feel a need to send letters in to try and toss someone under the bus or other less than helpful stuff. We can thank these letter writers for the Akins Accelerator fiasco, the maxim sideplate fiasco, suppressor repair regs and all sorts of stuff we really didn't need them trying to come up with answers for. In addition to all the bad and conflicting letters we have gotten back from them these unnecessary letters take time away from real work that tech is supposed to do like looking at new designs to determine if they are machineguns or semi's. Lots of manufacturers send stuff in for this determination and if the few guys there are answering questions that are on the FAQ at the ATF page they are not doing the real job they are supposed to. That right there is the main reason I made the comment.

Frank

Top Bottom