• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My wife and I travel full time in a RV. We both have an Ind. carry permit and just wonder if we carry a shotgun unloaded and stored separately from the ammo are we violating any States laws.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    You can carry it in your RV completely loaded in the state of Indiana. You dont have to unload it or lock it up. You dont.even need a carry license for rifles or.shotguns. But if.you leave the state it needs to to be encased.and unloaded.depending on.where you go.

You could walk down the street with it loaded if you wanted.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    It only has to be secure during interstate travel, and even only then if the firearm is crossing into hostile territory. In Indiana he can carry it loaded in his vehicle.

To answer.your question.about.vehicles without a trunk.... the federal safe passage law tells you what you need to know.

"...That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

There are numerous options in an RV for interstate travel.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Many states consider an RV to be an extension of your home so keeping it locked and cocked is perfectly okay. Of course, I don't know just what those states are.

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Remington 870 20 gauge, just for personal defense. We are not worried about driving just about camping out in the middle of no where. We have seen some things.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Actually it is a travel tailor.
    can he fix my pants? they're a little long.

Sorry. :)

I would say to ask the State Police in the states you plan to travel to rather than post the question on an interweb forum full of people who may or may not know.
    Especially since none of us will be around at your court appearance if you get arrested.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    It is my understanding that there is a federal law that states we have the right to travel through a state and not have to worry about there gun laws in less we plan to spend time in that state. I don't know what they consider spending time in a state is. If I stop for lunch am I spending time in that state? If I get gas am I spending time in that state? If I spend the night in a rest stop in my trailer am I spending time in there state? I don't know. I have travelled a cross the country and back and keep several loaded guns in my trailer. I have no idea if it is the law or not. It is my home away from home.

As I tell my loving wife. We do what we can to protect our selves and leave the rest to God. I don't drink and drive. I don't speed. Yes I am that guy you are cussing doing the speed limit with the thirty two foot trailer running down the road. I am over sixty and the law just don't look at me twice. Yes I have been pulled over and questioned, asked for paper on every thing. Not once have I been asked about guns or what was in the trailer. There was a place out West that had a stop and went through the trailer looking for illegal Mexicans. That was fun I had two dogs with me. I had to take them out of the trailer and then put them in the truck then walk the guy through the trailer then put the dogs back in the trailer. The dogs didn't like the guy for some reason. I trust my dogs taste in people. If they don't like you I question your nature.

I travel with guns, reloading stuff and ammo. Could I end up going to jail over it? More than likely in one of the states that are very anti gun I could. Am I going to learn every states gun laws that I drive through? No. Am I going to change how I travel? No. Part of going out West is to shoot or hunt.

Last edited:

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    I would say to ask the State Police in the states you plan to travel to rather than post the question on an interweb forum full of people who may or may not know.
    Especially since none of us will be around at your court appearance if you get arrested.

Wrong. Look up the actual laws. If you really want to be certain you'll need to consult a lawyer licensed to practice in the state(s) in question, but looking up the laws is more reliable than relying upon the interpretation of whatever desk jockey is covering the phones when you call.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Yeah, you are right. That is the best way but then the actual laws aren't who will be pulling you over now, are they? Best to do both so you are prepared for what you will see real world. You'd be surprised how well versed the "desk jockeys" are if you ask nicely rather than treat them like a turd.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    The only other issue about carrying a "loaded" shotgun in the RV in Indiana may be a concern due to the DNR hunting regulations. I am not going to advise regarding the law as I am not certain of all aspects. But I do know there were laws regarding carrying a loaded rifle or shotgun in your car. Kind of makes sense as many poachers do this to illegally take deer or other game while driving through the countryside. I would definitely inquire about this by calling the DNR.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    In virtually all states, a shotgun would be less problematic than a handgun. Should you get stopped by a LEO for some reason, don't bring it up, don't give consent to search your vehicle, keep it out of sight. If you have to defend your life, the legal problems, if any, will carry a sentence less than the death penalty, so, it's a win.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Unless you have a loaded shotgun and are.shining.a.spotlight.around at the same time, you don't.have to.worry about.the DNR.

The.DNR does not.have.unlimited power. They are not.going.to seize.your gun and.take you to jail for.OCing a slung.AR15 around town either. Would not.advise doing.it in the woods during.hunting.season.without.a.hunting license though.

Nor can one.pull you over just to check for weapons. Unless you are spotlighting deer from your vehicle, they won't.care.

If the.cops find a concealed shotgun in your car, you have more problems than.the.gun. like whatever they are.about.to arrest you for, that gave them a reason to search you and your.vehicle.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    While it's a bit more inconvenient, when out of Indiana why not simply unload and case the shottie, then reload it once you're camped again?

Doing it this way I can't see any trouble at all. Of course you must check for home defense laws in each state and for the rules in each campground.
    Campgrounds are private property at times and therefore you do need to abide by their rules or find yourself a trespasser.

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    It only has to be secure during interstate travel, and even only then if the firearm is crossing into hostile territory. In Indiana he can carry it loaded in his vehicle. To answer.your question.about.vehicles without a trunk.... the federal safe passage law tells you what you need to know.

"...That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

There are numerous options in an RV for interstate travel.

It seems to me that if the gun is locked up in the RV, then the criteria of 18 USC § 926A would be met as all passengers would be in the tow vehicle. What is the difference in a gun being locked up in a trunk vs in the RV? Any thoughts?

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    When someone says RV I assume a motorized one. If the OP has a travel trailer then locking up a gun inside one should be fine. Just like if you were to lock one inside a uhaul you were towing. I would think

It doesn't really matter where it is, as long as it is not in either prohibited places listed for.vehicles without a trunk, being the glove box, or the center console.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    try locking up a loaded, uncased shotgun then driving through IL and getting stopped such that they can find the gun and tell me it is OK.

That is why I suggested unloading and casing it then loading it at the destination. Does it need to be loaded while you drive?

Top Bottom