Can I go to an Appleseed if I am overweight?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    We get this question alot, often via PM. Some potential shooters fear that our school of training is only for the young & athletically fit.

Let me say that our school of training is for everyone: old or young, thin or fat, experienced or newbie, liberal or conservative, men or women. What we have to teach is for every American; each and every one.

Now, each shooter comes with his or her own unique challenges both experiential and physical. For overweight people the greater challenge is not weight usually as much as limberness. Luckily, the challenge is one that is not limiting. If you can get up, lie down, and sit, then you are going to be fine.

And frankly, if one of these is not a possibility for you, we can even work around that. We can work around anything!

But if you need proof, understand this: I am a big guy too. I am also a rifleman and earned my patch even though I am overweight. Take this video as proof:

YouTube - M14prone

I am no model and I do not make this look pretty, but effective is what matters!

Don't let physical condition keep you from an Appleseed event.

techres

*Appleseed no longer transitions to prone with loaded rifles, we now load at at the ground.

**Those who have been to an Appleseed, note how you can hear the loud CLICK as I let off of the trigger. Step six!

Turtle

Master
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    What are the costs involved? I'm a bigger guy like your self just a bit more athletic. I could easily handle whatever is thrown at me. I'm becoming more and more interested in competition shooting and such. But I admit I need guidance or a mentor to help my fine tune my abilities.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Im a fat guy (trying more and more to not be), and Im also an Appleseed rifleman. Prone takes some getting used to, but after a few times of being in that position you will find your happy place ;)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    What are the costs involved? I'm a bigger guy like your self just a bit more athletic. I could easily handle whatever is thrown at me. I'm becoming more and more interested in competition shooting and such. But I admit I need guidance or a mentor to help my fine tune my abilities.

Pre-registered is $70 for two days + range fees (varies by range)

Riley is $10:

Range: Riley Conservation Club

Address: Riley, IN 47871

When: July 25-26 and November 28-29

IBC July 24-26 (Friday-Sunday) See boot camp schedule for more info.

Range Fee: $10, under 21 and military free

Camping available: Camping available for 10-15 tents, indoor toilets, no showers. KOA campground 2 miles NW.

Hotels: Terre Haute, IN everything you could want.

Directions: GPS Coordinates: 39.3903, -87.3207
    Riley is 5 miles southeast of Terre Haute, IN, just off of I-70, go to club website for directions

State Laws to be aware of: IN is shooter friendly, no concealed carry without permit, no concealed carry on range.

Misc: It is 25 meter only, .22 through 8 mm welcome. Get your spot quickly, we only have room for 30 shooters.

For more information contact: Ed @ 812-360-2519
    E-mail address: IN@Appleseedinfo.org

Registration Link: April 25-26: Riley, IN Appleseed - April 25-26, 2009 - Eventbrite
    July 25-26: Riley, IN Appleseed - July 25-26, 2009 - Eventbrite
    November 28-29: Riley, IN Appleseed - November 28-29, 2009 - Eventbrite
    http://www.eventbrite.com/event/255820165

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Turtle, the cost of an Appleseed weekend is $70 for adult males who are not current military. Women and children (21 and under), and active duty, Guard, and Reserve shoot for free.

More info is available at The Appleseed Project or you can PM either Techres, hawkhavn, usafe7ret, NEOCON, ATM, or me, and we'll be happy to answer whatever we can for you. If I've forgotten any INGO Appleseed instructors in this list, my apologies!

Blessings,
    Bill

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    some of these shoots would be pretty lonely if us "fat" guys weren't allowed! I would agree flexibility is usually the big challenge, but the more you practice the positions the more flexible you become. when I went to my first appleseed last august I could barley get into the seated position(indian style) and now (after a moderate amount of practice) I get into it quickly, I'm pretty comfortable and I shoot well from that position.
    some people can't do all the positions , so the instructors work with them and modify the positions to work for each induvidual.
    The instruction you'll recieve at an appleseed shoot rivals anything you'll get anywhere, and everyone I've met associated with the program have been really good folks.

DHolder

Expert
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    At the Appleseed in June, one of the largest men there, scored Rifleman 3 or 4 times. I think he had the unfair advantage of a larger base to rest on:D. If you can get up and down at all, you'll do ok. Come down to the mini next week and check it out. As said, you will come away with more than you brought to the line. :patriot:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Looking good techres. I was fortunate to meet you at the Auburn Appleseed in May. I wish I could have come back for the second day. I hope you liked my chair at the fire Saturday night....

I am going to be 59 this year and am 6 ft and 270 lbs. My stomach muscle is well developed. I shoot highpower every weekend, somewhere, and it keeps me flexible for prone and sitting. I get into position in front of the TV a couple of times a week and that helps a lot too....

A lot of people don't realize that learning rifle marksmanship is learning to TOTALLY relax into the rifle and sling and getting real quiet to make an accurate shot. It is the perfect activity for those who may be too old and infirm for other things. Strength and endurance are not prerequisites for a skilled rifleman.

Regards

mikea46996

Shooter
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Man what about us guys who think we are pretty good but deep down know we could improve but don't wanna look like a fool?????

I shoot pretty good but I would assume just about everything I do is wrong with the exception of safety.

Fat Guys unite!!!!!!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    Looking good techres. I was fortunate to meet you at the Auburn Appleseed in May. I wish I could have come back for the second day. I hope you liked my chair at the fire Saturday night....

I am going to be 59 this year and am 6 ft and 270 lbs. My stomach muscle is well developed. I shoot highpower every weekend, somewhere, and it keeps me flexible for prone and sitting. I get into position in front of the TV a couple of times a week and that helps a lot too....

A lot of people don't realize that learning rifle marksmanship is learning to TOTALLY relax into the rifle and sling and getting real quiet to make an accurate shot. It is the perfect activity for those who may be too old and infirm for other things. Strength and endurance are not prerequisites for a skilled rifleman.

Regards

It was good to meet you too! You going to be at Riley? Would love to have you back.

Boilers

Master
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I usually have the opposite concern. Whenever I go out in public, my stunning good looks and charm cause quite a stir. (It's a curse I tell you!)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am meeting my little brother from Minnesota July 25 and 26 in Lodi, WI for the Appleseed at that range. I can't wait to spend the weekend with my brother learning about our country's birth and history. And of course, watching him learn to shoot his rifle.

I will make another Indiana Appleseed......before the year is out.

For Mikea46996, I hear this ALL the time. It is really frustrating to hear a guy say that "I will show up for a match when I shoot better." If I could find a way to stuff a guy's ego into their back pocket and get them to just show up and learn to shoot, I would be a happy man.

Buddy, we HAVE ALL thought we looked like a fool. That is not important and believe me we HAVE ALL looked like a fool. You are no different, except you are letting your ego get in the way of really learning to shoot.

Please, just show up. Believe me, as long as you don't shoot someone in the ASS, nobody CARES how well you shoot. Except you.....

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Well said, sloughfoot! Mike, at Appleseed, we check egos at the registration desk. Leave it behind as it will do you no good and only get in the way of you learning. Practice getting into a seated position and into a prone position several times in the week or two before your shoot... Trust me on this. You can and probably will thank me later, though I don't expect it and will think no less of you if you don't. The point of Appleseed is to get your backside off the couch and putting lead on target as our country's Founders did.

It took me one full Appleseed, several "Mini" shoots, and a whole lot of practice to shoot a Rifleman score.... and that's about average. It is the rare shooter who comes to us able to shoot to that standard. Don't worry about how well you shoot, about what equipment you bring, or about anything but coming in ready to learn some things you don't already know. I've yet to meet a shooter who learned nothing at an Appleseed weekend, and only those who do not come with a teachable attitude do not learn to shoot better.

We don't care if you show up unable to even hit the paper. We don't care if you show up able to shoot a perfect 250. What we care about is that you show up.

There is an Appleseed scheduled for Riley next weekend. ATM and I will be attending the Instructor Boot Camp running at the same time. I look forward to seeing some INGO hats there.

Blessings,
    Bill

UncleRed

Plinker
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lafayette
    Man what about us guys who think we are pretty good but deep down know we could improve but don't wanna look like a fool?????

I shoot pretty good but I would assume just about everything I do is wrong with the exception of safety.

Fat Guys unite!!!!!!

As a relatively newly minted Instructor in Training and Rifleman I can tell you, everyone there is going to be doing the same thing and they will be working so hard at learning that they won’t even notice IF you look like a fool. We tell everyone we want to see turkey necks and chicken wings. We tell everyone we want to see butts scooting. Believe me, it will make you a better rifleman – no foolin.

-UR

Top Bottom