Can I have a Barrel threaded on a WASR 3 in 556 for a muzzle brake ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PMPORTER

Marksman
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hello Fella's I recently got a WASR 3 chambered in 556 as payment for some side work and was wondering if it is possible to have the Barrel threaded for a muzzle break. I live in Indy on the SW Side and was wondering if there is anyone close that can do it and if anyone had an idea on what it would cost ? Would I use an AR-15 muzzle break ?? or do they make slant breaks for 556 ? Any help would be greatly appreciated

warthog

Shooter
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Yeah, you can thread the muzzle with a die. I did mine that way. Choose the threads you want to use and get an appropriate die then shop for the breaks or FH's that you want to use. There aren't slants for a .223 (but a 545 version will work if you can find one of those) but they only look cool since they only give any help when firing on FA. Semiauto AK's don't get a thing from a slant break except a cool look.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Had both a WASR-10 and then a SAR-1 that when I removed the barrel nuts, there were no threads on the end of the barrel. Took them to McDonalds Guns in Marion and threaded them using a 1/2x28 die. Put an AK-74 type muzzle brake on one, (Drilled out the brake to fit a 30 cal). The SAR-1 ended up with a slant brake. I bought both brakes from the shop, so the use of the die was free. Cost around $35 for the 74 type brake and $20 for the slant brake.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If the muzzle diameter is approx .550 you can thread it to the standard 14x1mm left hand AK thread. If it was turned down to approx .500 you can thread it to 1/2x28. There are slant brakes for the 1/2x28 right hand available, but if you can thread it to the 14x1mm LH you will be able to install an AK-74 style brake which works great on the .223 AK variant.

Top Bottom