• JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My understanding is this:

Buying a gun for someone who can't legally do so themself- straw purchase.

Buying a gun because you want to gift it- good to go.

The difference is whose money it is.

The bold part is only partially true. Even if you can legally buy a handgun, if you give your uncle money to buy one (because he gets an LEO discount), that's a straw purchase.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It all comes down to intent. Buying with the intent to give it away, cool. Buying with the intent to sell it, not cool.

Well, that's more of the litimus test for being a dealer. Primarily that's something FFL03 holders have to worry about.

Buying a gun with a specific intent to sell it to your nephew is straw purchase.

Buying a gun with an intent to resell in on INGO because it's a way to make a quick buck is not straw purchase.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well, that's more of the litimus test for being a dealer. Primarily that's something FFL03 holders have to worry about.

Buying a gun with a specific intent to sell it to your nephew is straw purchase.

Buying a gun with an intent to resell in on INGO because it's a way to make a quick buck is not straw purchase.

Correct. However purchasing firearms with the intent to resell them at a profit could also be a no no. People who are engaged to the business of buying and selling firearms are supposed to have an FFL. But that is a whole other topic that causes much Internet butthurt.

Top Bottom