• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    It might be reloadable.

Steel cased means nothing, if its berdan primed its not reloadable.
    There have been threads here where people have reloaded the Tula 45acp steel cased ammo (boxer primed). I don't know if the 9mm Tula is boxer or berdan primed.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    It is Berdan. And it is problematic. The only misfires I have ever had in my P95DC were with this ammo. Smelly, dirty, unreliable. Buy crap at a discount and it's still crap.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    TulAmmo also uses STEEL Jackets that they plate with copper so they look right. Hard on you rifling too. Put a magnet to the bullet sometime and see if I am right. Many indoor ranges ill not allow the use of steel jacketed bullets so if you shoot at an indoor range, this ammo won't work out for you at all. Steel jackets can beat up the bullet stop excessively so indoor ranges hate the stuff.

You can reload nearly any sort of case with the right equipment, after all, it did become a round somehow, right? The question becomes is it a good idea? Why or why not? In my book this is a why not...

Steel isn't as malleable as brass so when it has worn out structurally from being worked through the sizing process, it'll rupture catastrophically rather than crack or bulge like a brass case would...

I see kids making dangerous explosives in their kitchens on YouTube too, it can be done but should you? If you caught your kid doing it would you be happy or angry? Try not to make a joke here. I know I'd be pissed. So when I hear that "It can be done, just check YouTube," I am not convinced that it is a good idea yet. Way to much evidence to the contrary, that YouTube promotes stupidity rather than rational thought, for my tastes.

Of course, I'm not your daddy. YMMV. :D

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    TulAmmo also uses STEEL Jackets that the plate with copper so they look right. Hard on you rifling too. Put a magnet to the bullet sometime and see if I am right. Many indoor ranges ill not allow the use of steel jacketed bullets so if you shoot at an indoor range, this ammo won't work out for you at all. Steel jackets can beat up the bullet stop excessively so indoor ranges hate the stuff.

If you check their site they will tell you their ammo is either full copper or bi-metal jacketed. Which is why the magnet sticks to them. The bi-metal jacket has just a little bit of steel in it, not enough to damage your weapon any more than any other ammo. However, if you remember correctly, Sellier and Bellot made all of the old M193 and 7.62x51 ammo with steel jackets. Our military went through tons of it and no excessive damage was found. So even if Tula DID use steel jackets, you'd have no reason to worry before shooting it. The steel used for the jackets is quite soft. :twocents:

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    The box in the picture says berdan primed so no. If it is boxer primed, yes you could. I have reloaded a number of Tula cases in .45acp with no issues. I usually only load them once so I have no experience with multiple loadings.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    It might be reloadable.

Steel cased means nothing, if its berdan primed its not reloadable.
    There have been threads here where people have reloaded the Tula 45acp steel cased ammo (boxer primed). I don't know if the 9mm Tula is boxer or berdan primed.

Actually berdan primed doesn't make it not reloadable. It requires special tools to remove the primers. My grandfather has been reloading berdan primed 8mm and 9mm Luger for decades. RCBS makes the tools he uses

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    ^^ Same here. Never had a problem with Tulammo or any other inexpensive ammo in my Glocks. Aluminum, brass, or steel, it doesn't seem to matter.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    It wasn't the case or the bullet that was the problem. I've never had so many rounds with a dented primer and no boom. It was equal opportunity failure to fire - Ruger, KelTec, Kahr, Hi Point. The only rounds where I had a squib was one of these - good thing I was paying attention. And cleaning takes twice as long.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    It wasn't the case or the bullet that was the problem. I've never had so many rounds with a dented primer and no boom. It was equal opportunity failure to fire - Ruger, KelTec, Kahr, Hi Point. The only rounds where I had a squib was one of these - good thing I was paying attention. And cleaning takes twice as long.

Light primer strikes are generally a problem of the weapon rather than the primer itself. Having your trigger lightened reduces the spring weight, which also reduces the power that your hammer strikes the firing pin, or in a Glock's case, how hard the striker hits the primer. Some primers are harder than others, but if you are having light primer strikes then that weapon is not reliable in my opinion. It will eventually strike so lightly that it will not ignite any primer and I suggest you replace your springs if this happens on your carry weapon.

As for squib's, people have had squibs from all mass produced ammo. That's a problem with quality control and the kind of thing you're going to see from time to time when places are producing thousands of rounds per minute.

On either note, if you are having a lot of problems from a box of ammo, no matter what the manufacturer is, you should call them and give them the details. I'm guessing they will make it right and it will help them to resolve some of the issues at hand.

Glock says it's a NoNo. In my experiance it's Crap.......................

Your experience must be slim to none if any at all, sir. And I mean that with the up-most respect possible. Glock says nothing about using Tulammo in their firearms and myself as well as thousands of other people have used it in their Glocks with no harm to their weapon. Just because it's steel cased doesn't mean it's crap. Hornady makes steel cased ammo as well, and it's match grade. :twocents:

ETA: Glocktalk also has a thread on Tulammo... go ahead and get some more experience.
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1437636

Top Bottom