Can I take my friend to the range if he has no LTCH?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    Recently got my LTCH, a co worker at my job got a pistol as a gift from his dad and he wants to go to the range with me to test his gun. He has no LTCH, can i transport the handgun in my vehicle trunk to the range with him as my passenger. to make things even worse, my co worker said he has two felony convictions as a juvenile(something about he beat up a classmate & slammed the dudes head on the cement) but they were expunged by a attorney. i told him to go 2 L1 & apply for his LTCH, at least try, he keeps bs'ing about applying. i think i would get into deep trouble if i got pulled over transporting those guns for him considering he has violent felony convictions. what do you guys think?

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Ummmm.... I don't like to judge people but, I would most likely try to distance myself from him in every aspect of my life if I were you. Always remember "No good deed goes unpunished" - That sounds like it could ring especially true in this case.

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    yea i hear ya man, i mean the dudes a grown man, if he wants to go 2 the range that bad, he can transport his own guns in his own car. im not gonna risk possibly getting in trouble or losing my LTCH for a ex con, even if it was a juvenile offense expunged.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Recently got my LTCH, a co worker at my job got a pistol as a gift from his dad and he wants to go to the range with me to test his gun. He has no LTCH, can i transport the handgun in my vehicle trunk to the range with him as my passenger. to make things even worse, my co worker said he has two felony convictions as a juvenile(something about he beat up a classmate & slammed the dudes head on the cement) but they were expunged by a attorney. i told him to go 2 L1 & apply for his LTCH, at least try, he keeps bs'ing about applying. i think i would get into deep trouble if i got pulled over transporting those guns for him considering he has violent felony convictions. what do you guys think?

I agree with you. Besides, when I was a recruiter, I can't tell you the number of guys who told me their record was expunged and it took less than five minutes to pull up their felony juvenile records. You would be looking for trouble and that guy is going to help you find it.

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    thanks for the advice guys, ill stay true to it. theres like three felons were im working at right now, im like geez were the hell are they finding these ppl. 1 has a felony for cocaine with the intent to sell, another has a burglary charge(hes got that ankle bracelet thingy), and the other has a charge were he beat up a foreign exchange student.. i need to find a new job..

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Better off with no friends than to have the wrong friends!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Maybe that guy even didnt get that gun as a gift from his dad like he says.
    Or if that's true that's just because he cant legally buy a gun himself to a FFL that his dad needs to do it for him.That would aslo explain why he doesnt wanna try to get his LTCH.
    He has no clear background like he says IMO, and he knows he cant get one.
    Just be careful and dont lose your LTCH especialy if you just got it.

doubleshock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    hamilton county
    i have unfortunety had a few coworkers/"friends" that on further review turned out to have some of the afore listed issues w/the law. when it came to firearms,vehicles,my residence......had is the operative word!

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    thanks for the advice guys, ill stay true to it. theres like three felons were im working at right now, im like geez were the hell are they finding these ppl. 1 has a felony for cocaine with the intent to sell, another has a burglary charge(hes got that ankle bracelet thingy), and the other has a charge were he beat up a foreign exchange student.. i need to find a new job..

I hate to say it but it dosent matter where you work your going to find a fellon of one kind or another well ok short of working in a gun shop or goverment facility. and as far as the range thing is concerned I agree dont transport it for him. as far as distencing him from you I know a bunch of guys that made stupid disisions as kids but learned from them. altimitly you have to be the one to deside if he fits in that case or not but any thing he might ask as far as fire arms I would leave it where it is at. If he wants the right to carry then you gave him the info on how to get it and if he gets denied then he has the option to dispute the verdict and provide the proper papper work from the court stating he had it expunged. Id go as far to give him that info if he fits the case I stated above as being a changed man.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Explain to him the proper way to transport a fire arm being a non-LTCH owner and tell him you will meet him there.

That way you are not transporting him or his handgun that may be questionable.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As a non-LTCH holder you cannot transport the handgun to the range. Only way a non-LTCH can transport a handgun is if they are moving residents, going to get the gun fixed at a smith, selling the gun at a store or bringing one home from purchase.

if he gets busted transporting without he can get fined, and having a "past" he may endup in jail.

tell the guy to get his LTCH, until then he is on his own with anything gun related.

Not worth the trouble for you if something was to happen.

Lots of guys have had things go on their records and follow the proper channels to get them cleared up. Your co-worker should take the steps as well if he wants to be a legal gun owner.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    Your juvenile record doesnt affect you buying a handgun or getting your ltch. I had 4 juvenile felonys when i was 15. I was going to get my record expunged, but never got around to doing it. I thought for the longest time i couldnt buy a handgun, vote, work for the government,etc. I got some legal advice, and learned otherwise. I applied for my lifetime ltch and got it with no issues. Never had a problem buying a gun either.

Just because somone messed up as a kid. That doesnt make them a bad person. Im sure there are plenty of people on this forum that did something stupid, but never got caught. You live and learn, and grow up. If you are gonna hold that against me, not even knowing me as a person. Oh well i could care less. ;)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Explain to him the proper way to transport a fire arm being a non-LTCH owner and tell him you will meet him there.

Proper way to transport a handgun without a LTCH is do not do it.

As a non-LTCH holder you cannot transport the handgun to the range. Only way a non-LTCH can transport a handgun is if they are moving residents, going to get the gun fixed at a smith, selling the gun at a store or bringing one home from purchase.

Selling a gun is not one of the few exemptions in the law for transporting a firearm. It doesn't matter if it is a store or not, it is a no no. The rest of your post is accurate though.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

That way you are not transporting him or his handgun that may be questionable.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "explain to him the proper way to transport a fire arm being a non-LTCH owner"?

As others have pointed out, there is NO WAY under IN law for a person to transport a handgun ANYWHERE in IN (with only three exceptions & they have NOTHING to do with transporting to a range) without a LTCH.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I'm not really sure what you mean by "explain to him the proper way to transport a fire arm being a non-LTCH owner"?

As others have pointed out, there is NO WAY under IN law for a person to transport a handgun ANYWHERE in IN (with only three exceptions & they have NOTHING to do with transporting to a range) without a LTCH.

This^

Top Bottom