• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Bought a Ruger 10/22 and found it to be surprsingly accurate but the trigger is horrible. A lot of creep and extra heavy weight of pull.

I know folks trick up their Rugers all the time - barrels, triggers, stocks, etc. Can I put a better trigger in this gun or are the after market accessories only for the different 10/22 models ?

Would like to hear from Ruger owners who have made some of these mods - especially starting with the trigger.

Thanks in advance

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    An oversimplification, but generally speaking here is my understanding on the different components:

trigger upgrades: appears to be the same trigger group used in my other 10/22s & my upgraded trigger (Kidd "Trigger-Job" kit) went right in & the PO had installed an auto-bolt release and lever mag-release.

bolt upgrades: I did not notice any differences in the bolt, but I have missed plenty of details in the past

stock (rear section): since the TD stock is split, there have been numerous examples of stocks being cut-down to fit the rear section

stock (forearm): this is one of the parts that appears to be specific to the TD, hence an upgrade would be custom

barrel: standard aftermarket barrels will not drop-in, but there have been several examples of folks machining barrels to fit. Where there is a will and a skill (or $$ to pay somebody that has a skill) there is a way.

FWIW, the only mods I have made are to the trigger and extractor.

Last edited:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    10yrs ago I put the shims on my hammer and trigger and installed the aftermarket bolt release to get rid of the factory rocker type. Its a .22 plinker not a biathlon rifle. Why dump a bunch of money in to it? The only way I would ever consider replacing the barrel is if i shot the original out and thats not likely in my lifetime. :dunno:

Based on the above logic I take that extra $$ that i didnt "waste" on bells and whistles on a .22 and am putting it into a Remington 700 AAC-SD, optics, etc.

Dont kid yourself into thinking you will get all the $$ you dumped in to a .22 back out of it if you end up selling it 2yrs down the road. Its just not likely to happen.

Its your $$$ though, you earned it and do whatever floats your boat. You only have to answer to yourself when it comes to toys that go bang.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I put a Power Customer Hammer and Sear Kit; it made a world of difference. I also install a Power Customer Extractor. IMO two of the most bang for your buck upgrades to the 10/22.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Send your trigger group to Brimstone. They will fix it right up for about $70. It will come back with a 2# trigger that is smooth as well as a few more things done to it. Well worth the money.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Send your trigger group to Brimstone. They will fix it right up for about $70. It will come back with a 2# trigger that is smooth as well as a few more things done to it. Well worth the money.

I don't have a take down but thought I would tag on this thread instead of starting a new one.

Have you been able to compare the Brimstone against a Kidd or a Clark trigger group? And what about the Kidd trigger job kit they sell? How does it compare. It would be nice to get a good trigger for half of what the Kidd cost.:)

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I did my own trigger job using a dremel and google. Cost me about 50 cents worth of sand paper.

Improved the factory trigger significantly. May not be a kidd trigger (maybe it is. .. I wouldn't know)... but it's crisp, with little to no take up. My best guess is that it's between 2 and 3 pounds.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Have you been able to compare the Brimstone against a Kidd or a Clark trigger group? And what about the Kidd trigger job kit they sell? How does it compare. It would be nice to get a good trigger for half of what the Kidd cost.:)

Not personally. Everything I've read says the Kidd is the best way to go. It will cost about twice as much though. The Brimstone trigger job is very nice for the cost. Depending on what you plan on doing with the rifle it may be all you need. For what I had planned for the TD, it's all I wanted to spend on it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not personally. Everything I've read says the Kidd is the best way to go. It will cost about twice as much though. The Brimstone trigger job is very nice for the cost. Depending on what you plan on doing with the rifle it may be all you need. For what I had planned for the TD, it's all I wanted to spend on it.

I plan on off hand shooting, no bench rest. Appleseed kind of stuff.

Mephitical

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Lebanon
    I pulled mine out and filed/polished the hammer and sear to about a 3lb pull. Very smooth now. I also ground the bolt release so you can pull it back to release. Cost me nothing but time and effort.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I sent in a couple of triggers to brimstone and liked the results. The tier II I ordered for an international that got traded (great rifle) the tier III on a factory ruger target. I would sAy the tier 3 is wonderful as the trigger break is like glass and consistent. The kid upgrade might have a lower poundage but I love how repeatable the break point is on the brimstone job. I also let young shooters use the ruger target so a trigger that does not have measurements in ounces is nice. Dropping much more poundage trigger on an auto 22 would get me a but nervious. I wish they did ruger mark II pistols also.

The other thing I had done on the target was a bit of chamber rim thickness matching done to cci mini mags and true of the bolt face. This I had done in South Dakota by a friendly gunsmith. Since this is a paper puncher most people will not notice much improvement but I saw drops in group size with proper ammo. 90% of 10-22 shooters would not see the improvement worth the cost of a good gunsmith to do this work. The one I used charged me pennies on the dollar of the real cost.

One add on I like well is the Harris bi pod off the front swivel post. I like the nutmeg laminate stock on mine but if I could trade it for a pepper colored one I would to match other pepper and stainless guns I have.

Top Bottom