can i use my 357 die to re-size 38sp cases ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    curious for input : my reloading area used to be in my dank basement where my 38 dies spotted up w rust (did not yet have the 357 dies so they r not rusty) , am in a better environment now :) also the 38 dies have a steel sizer compared to carbide in the 357 set reducing the need to lube cases ... i guess all could be resolved w the purchase of new set of carbide 38 dies , but im kind of a tightwad ;)

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    i thought i could get away with it , external dimensions same except (obviously) length ... i was thinking internal dimension the 357 case was thicker toward the base though ... thanks

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Yes, you can size in your .357 die.

FWIW: you can run your rusty dies through your tumbler to clean up somewhat. Finish up
    With a patch with Flitz on a cordless drill for a good finish..Bill

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I think the set of dies I bought is for both 38 and 357. I guess it makes sense that you couldn't fully resize a 357 in a 38 die, but the other way around it works. My universal set seating die has enough travel to seat 38s and 357s, so I'm guessing you'll be OK there too. May want to check that though.

-Brian

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Some of the older 357 dies (as well as 44RM dies) came with a spacer that could be placed under the die to resize for either cartridge without having to adjust each time. You set the die to size the longer cartridge and then when you wanted to size the shorter round, you just put the spacer under the die.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Check the directions that came with the dies, I will bet they say something to the effect that they are for both .38, and .357. I use Lee dies, and they only sell one set for both cal, same for .40 and 10mm, along with .45acp and .45gap, plus a few others, one die set for both.

Top Bottom