• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    Just received my first lee loader in 45lc. Before I opened the box to read I bought some winchester primers for standard rifle loads. My thinking was that the loads are for a 45colt lever action rifle. When I opened the lee loader box the paper work said large pistol primers. What is the difference if I use them for a rifle or pistol seeing that 45lc is a large round in itself.:ingo:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I just did the same with Rem 6 1/2 small rifle.

Thought the same using them in 9 target loads

I have no use for them if anyone does let me know. Think I have 3500 of them

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I use trail boss in all my 45 colt loads. It was the first caliber I started reloading and I was worried about double charged. I use 6grns for my cowboy loads, it is very fluffy, it almost fills the case. Very easy to see if I double charge.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I load .45 Colt quite a lot.
    As for powder, it all depends on what you want to do, and more importantly, exactly what rifle you have.
    If you have a Marlin 1894, Winchester 1892 (or one of the replicas), Winchester 1894, or a Henry, you can load it up to some really impressive levels.
    My deer load out of my own Marlin sends the 225 grain Hornady FTX out at 1822 fps.
    To accomplish that, I use a maximum charge of Hodgdon H110 (aka Winchester 296) in a Starline case, fired by a Federal large pistol magnum primer.
    I've also used Blue Dot for loads just a bit less powerful, but still well above standard factory load level.
    Of course, you can load it to duplicate the more moderate (but still nothing to sneeze at!) standard factory .45 Colt loads using Unique, Red Dot, or Bullseye, plus lots of other fast to medium burn rate powders.
    I haven't bothered with it yet, but Trail Boss was formulated to be a bulky moderate burn rate powder largely with .45 Colt and cowboy action shooting in mind, since it take up more of the airspace in that big case, which (at least in theory) should help give more consistent burn rates because the powder moves around less.
    It's a really good cartridge, with plenty of room for powder.
    Not bad for a cartridge originally created in 1873.

ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it. The only other question that is not answered in the instructions, is the adjustment on the bullet seater. Is it by trial and error. Seat a couple without a charge and measure, or seat the lock nut against the priming chamber,and that is the correct setting.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Look at the recommended OAL for the cartridge in the manual, or go off the cannelure (crimp groove) on the bullet (if it has one) to get your desired seating depth. It depends on the dies you are using as to how you set the crimp. But for seating depth, I just run a case with a bullet sitting on top up into the press. I then thread the die down into the press until it touches the bullet. Once that is done, I lower the cartridge and thread the die in a revolution or so. Then just slowly work your way down by running the cartridge up, checking length and adjusting the seater die until you have achieved your desired length. If you have a micrometer adjustment on your seater die or measure the distance between threads on the die, you can circumvent the trial and error process, but it really doesn't take that long. Once you are happy with the length, carefully back the die and lock ring out 1/8th turn without changing the lock ring's position relative to the seater die. This step is important, because if you tighten the collar while it is tight against the press, it will not clamp the die properly. Tighten the lock collar down, double check on another cartridge that you have the correct depth and you are good to go. You can do this with a primed and charged case, so you don't have to fool with pulling a bullet once you're done. The whole process takes less than 3 minutes, and as long as you don't change bullets and keep your brass at a consistent length, you'll never have to mess with it again.

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    +1 on Woobie.
    I would only add that if you change bullets and want to streamline setting your adjustments just a bit for next time, you can make a dummy round at your target length, write the COAL on the dummy with a Sharpie, then keep it in a box for when you've adjusted the seater for a different bullet or length.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    +1 on Woobie.
    I would only add that if you change bullets and want to streamline setting your adjustments just a bit for next time, you can make a dummy round at your target length, write the COAL on the dummy with a Sharpie, then keep it in a box for when you've adjusted the seater for a different bullet or length.

Definitely. Good catch. It makes it so easy at that point to return to your previous setting on your seater die. Just run the dummy (dummy round, not yourself) up into the press, thread your seater die down onto the dummy, reset your lock ring and away you go.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    I would add that you need to raise the die body so it does not crimp. Then follow the above instructions. Then back the seating stem back up, lower the die body to get the proper crimp and then lower the seating stem down until it touches the bullet.

ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    OK I have been studying the load charts, bought the correct primers, and powder. Got the brass, but the bullets are another concern. I bought berrys bullets but they do not have a crimp groove (cannelure). I have been practicing without charging the load, and when I crimp the brass I do not like the way the bullet seats(it revolves). I cannot find any 45colt bullets with a flat lead nose with a crimp. Hornadys leverlution states that that you have to trim the case. What type of bullets do you reloaders of 45colt use for a lever action rifle

Top Bottom