• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I don't quite understand how to safely carry a derringer.

Now I've never owned one, still don't, and don't even recall holding one. But I'm curious about how they work. I presume they operate in a very simple SINGLE ACTION mode, is that correct?

If so then obviously you can't carry with the hammer back because there doesn't appear to be any sort of hammer block and obviously there is no trigger guard.

Now if you carry with the hammer down on a live round then I wonder if there is some sort of transfer bar to keep the firing pin off the primer?

Anyone have any diagrams of the mechanisms?

:dunno:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I don't quite understand how to safely carry a derringer.

Now I've never owned one, still don't, and don't even recall holding one. But I'm curious about how they work. I presume they operate in a very simple SINGLE ACTION mode, is that correct?

If so then obviously you can't carry with the hammer back because there doesn't appear to be any sort of hammer block and obviously there is no trigger guard.

Now if you carry with the hammer down on a live round then I wonder if there is some sort of transfer bar to keep the firing pin off the primer?

Anyone have any diagrams of the mechanisms?

:dunno:

The only way to carry a current production Cobra derringer is to have the cross bolt safety on as the firing pin will actually push against the primers when the hammer is fully down. Then the gun must either be left on half-cock to allow the safety to be disengaged or you must first cock the hammer and then disengage the safety. Both the amount of force to cock the hammer and to move the safety to the fire setting require one hell of a lot of effort. Then there is the trigger pull which I would say is close to 30 lbs.!!!! :n00b:

Not really a practical weapon, IMHO. :dunno:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive got an older Davis .32 derringer pistol. It is indeed single action only. It does have a safety that blocks the hammer from striking the firing pin, and if I remember right the hammer has a 'half cocked' position.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Well I found a Bond Arms Derringer, in 45acp, NIB. I did not buy it but it really intrigues me. Seems to me there are about 1000 guns more practical than a 2 shot, 21 ounce, 45acp but for some reason I just am interested in the gun.

I gather that Bond Arms makes a very high quality Derringer, they run double to triple the price of some of the other brands (from what I see, in the $375 to $450 price range).

So from what you guys are saying, there is a cross bolt safety. The gun would be carried with the hammer in half-cock, safety engaged. To deploy you'd both cock the gun and disengage the safety?

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Bob you should ask Chuck how Laura carries her Bond Arms. That is, if she didn't sell it.

Why don't you come hang out at the dog stand on Thursday evenings?

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    I have an American Derringer 45-410. it has a cross bolt safety and half cock. When you pull the hammer to full cock the safety automatically disengages. It stll has about a 25 pound trigger pull tho.
    As far as if the Bond operates the same way, I have no idea.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I will ask Laura about the Derringer, I'm really curious. I don't see them as practical. 21 ounces for a 2 shot 45acp versus 24 ounces for a 10 shot Para Warthog and the choice is pretty clear that the Warthog is a better carry gun. And I've never even thought about a Derringer until I saw that Bond made one in 45acp.

Why don't you come hang out at the dog stand on Thursday evenings?
    Seems like I am at the dog stand about 3 days a week getting lunch!

I never make it to CP during the evenings (except the rare occasion of going to the theater), that is family time. But I go through town at least 3 (and usually 5 or 6) days a week, typically late morning to noon.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I have one of the 22lr NAA pistols and I like it. I know, it's not a derringer, but the reason and method of carry are pretty much the same. I like it because I can drop it in my watch pocket on my jeans. You're right in your thoughts it's single action only so trigger guard is not required. I know the derringer is a 38 and my NAA is only a 22lr, but I like the three extra shots in the NAA. And the price from my good friends at Beech Grover Fire Arms was really good!
    I'm under delusion that this is a very effective SD weapon, so quite often I carry it as a back up or sometimes a backup to my backup. This summer it will be with me a lot on nature trails as the law allows.

XFCTR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Columbus
    I have been thinking about getting the wife a the bond arms 45LC-410 for a while now. She goes around to customers houses and found herself ftf with a rotwieler once. Luckely there was a car door in between her and the dog but have been thinkin about it.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I have been thinking about getting the wife a the bond arms 45LC-410 for a while now. She goes around to customers houses and found herself ftf with a rotwieler once. Luckely there was a car door in between her and the dog but have been thinkin about it.

Just my humble opinion on this .....
    But Get your wife a kel tec or an LCP to carry ...
    One reason more rounds , two , actually a bit smaller than a bond arm 45 /410 ...three ALOT lighter ..
    four ... she will be able to hit whatever she is shooting at with either Over the bond arms ....

Yes i know the .45 packs more punch .The 410 doesn't ..

And any day of the week i would rather shoot someone in the face with a 22 than only be able to shoot them in the foot with a 44 ...(if you get my drift )

Again just My humble opion :patriot::ingo:

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    I have a Davis and it has a hammer block and half cock Trigger pull is about 5652 pounds
    OK maybe not quite that much but it is very hard.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana

She might be better off with a good pepper spray. Less law suits that way.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I had a .38 derringer. The trigger pull on that sucker was extreme. I'm not gonna say it couldn't happen but you have to really try to fire it so unless you would drop it I couldn't see to many accidental discharges. There is some sort of (I'm assuming safety) on it. If you pull the hammer back a little bit it would lock the trigger. Not sure what the purpose of that was.

As far as owning one, unless your gonna use it point blank I don't think it's worth it. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it (could've been just user error though :D). You hardly have anything to hold on with especially when the trigger is cocked back. Now it was fun to shoot because it was so loud. It sounded like a freakin cannon.

clydesdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    bond arms

they have a rebounding hammer and a halfcock ,from what ive read the hammer wont touch pins unless trigger pulled from full cock. i am also interrested in one i think one with #4 buckshoot in it would be more effective than a .380 and i know oo buckshoot would be with two shoots of three inch.410 that means 10 .38 pellets coming at you .i thought about a lcp no safety just a DA trigger kind of scary in a pocket:twocents:

Top Bottom