Can someone explain this as far as private sales are concerned?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    I understood it as if you knew the person legally couldn't own a firearm, you couldn't sell it to them. Are you still liable if you know nothing about the individual? Seems more people would want to start doing background checks even in private sales just to CYA. Thanks for any help.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If you know nothing about the person, how could you know if they were not ineligible to own or purchase a firearm or going to commit a crime with it?

bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    My point exactly! However, we know laws that make perfect sense on paper are interpreted different ways. IE the 2A.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I understood it as if you knew the person legally couldn't own a firearm, you couldn't sell it to them. Are you still liable if you know nothing about the individual? Seems more people would want to start doing background checks even in private sales just to CYA. Thanks for any help.

Ask if they have any felonies or are allowed to own a firearm. If they say yes, you're good to go. If they seem sketchy, walk away.

bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Seems like this is geared towards straw purchasing for someone you know legally can't own a firearm and not some stranger or someone you don't know & you work out a sell/trade with on here.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Theoretically, it would have to be proven in court you knew the person was ineligible. So as long as you really don't know there is probably no way that could be proven.

IANAL

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    b1 - "other than the person's age," - Looks like you have to at LEAST know the person's age under Indiana law.

The chapter also does not apply to, "Indiana residents licensed to carry handguns." So, checking for a LTCH helps, eh?

Indiana law isn't the only law applicable to private sales. Per the Feds, you can't do a private sale to a resident of another state for example. Soooo, you might want to see an Indiana ID.

This is why I'd prefer to see an Indiana Driver's License and LTCH for the sale.

If you knowingly avoid knowing anything about a person to whom you sell a firearm, and things go south, well, good luck with that.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    As long as you have no reason to believe they are an ineligible person, you're good to go. I'm not a lawyer, this was just a layman's interpretation of the law.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Seller's rules so you are perfectly within your rights to see whatever you want to see. There's no legal requirement that anyone buying a gun have an LTCH.

True, indeed. Yet, the code cited specifically exempts LTCH holders - therefore it could be a defense. There is a reason for it.

In case you missed it:
    ... The chapter also does not apply to, "Indiana residents licensed to carry handguns." ...

That's IC 35-47-2.5-1 Sec. 1 a (3). Not a lawyer, so I reserve the right to be completely wrong! :)

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    True, indeed. Yet, the code cited specifically exempts LTCH holders - therefore it could be a defense. There is a reason for it.

In case you missed it:

That's IC 35-47-2.5-1 Sec. 1 a (3). Not a lawyer, so I reserve the right to be completely wrong! :)

Oh yes, it's completely seller's rules in these transactions. I just note from my perspective there's no way for me to validate an LTCH, and I could make a mock-up of one pretty easily. I carry mine, and it's legit, but there's no legal requirement to carry one now or even hold a paper copy on file. If I somehow lost mine (admittedly that is highly unlikely), I don't have a legal burden to obtain a copy from the state. It just seems to me like a spurious requirement for a sale. Again, though, seller's rules apply. Buyer option is go forward or go way, and all parties are satisfied.

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Indiana law says that you must have no reason to assume that they are not eligible to buy. If you have no reason to make such an assumption, you may sell with impunity.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Make a point to ask them if they're prohibited from owning firearms.

Also, ask to see an Indiana drriver's license or some other proof that they're an Indiana resident.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Or, ask them if they live in the state and are legal to own firearms... Unless I have reason to think they are lying, they're good to go in my opinion. Then again, I usually only sell to INGO members.

Top Bottom