• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    A reliable referrence source for determining the approximate current market value for several of the unused, high quality knives I've accumulated over the years?

Want to liquidate them to help finance a Kimber Solo Carry. Any and all help and advice much appreciated!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    it really depends there is a lot of different knife value books out there but it all depends on what type of knives and what brands. if you listed the ones your interested in a lot of people could probably help give you values.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Books are fine for using as a reference, but they don't buy and they don't indicate what the true market value is (what you can actually expect to get). You can always look for the same knife on Ebay and see what it sells for. Just check the "completed listings" (items that have already sold) and that should give some idea. You could always going to a dealer that is in the business and get an idea. :twocents:

campguy00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Agreed, prices vary based on rarity, market demand, etc. Keep an eye out on BF/eBay and see what the model goes for. eBay is nice, as sold price is published, whereas on BF these may be removed after the sale.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Appreciate the responses. I spent a couple of hours scouring through EBay without much luck. A big problem seems to be that most of what I have in mind is either too obscure or has been out of production long enough that it just doesn't show up on their "radar".

FWIW, I'll put a list and descriptions here. Before we get into the whole "This thread is worthless without photos" routine, be aware that I'm still stuck with a dial-up connection, at least until Metronet gets their FO into our neighborhood. Uploading one mid-resolution photo takes anywhere from 15 minutes to half an hour, so do the math. Quite often, my connection will time-out somewhere right in the middle of things, which does my blood pressure no good whatsoever.

All items are in excellent-to-as-new condition and unused. Where I still have the original box will be noted.

1. A.G. Russell Military Bowie. Blade 7.5x2x3/8", matte-finished stainless (alloy ukn). black glass-filled polymer, finger grooved grip panels secured with two slot-head screws. Heavy black leather sheath with thumbsnap retaining strap.

2. Paragon Cutlery fighting/military fixed-blade, model name ukn. Recurve SS blade (alloy ukn) 7.25x13/16x1/4", with 1/2 length top edge and marked "Seki Japan" . Black linen Micarta grip scales secured with four SS pins with lanyard hole. Black Cordura sheath with snap retaining strap.

3. Blackjack (Effingham) Ek Bowie. Blade 7x1.25x1/4" SS (alloy ukn). Brass guard. Scalloped hardwood (walnut?) scales secured with three brass "X" head screws and nuts. OD Cordura sheath with velcro retainer. OD paracord wrist loop.

4. Benchmade Emerson CQC-7 folder. Matte finish ATS-34 stainless, "chisel-grind" 4" blade. Liner lock. Textured black composite scales with pocket clip. Shows very light storage wear.

5. Cold Steel Special Projects "Warhawk" multipurpose survival blade. Carbon V steel with black powdercoat finish. 14" OAL, 7" spear/dagger blade, 3/8" thick. Has provisions for mounting grip scales and lashing notches to form a spear. Shows light storage wear to finish.

6. Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn combat folder. SS (alloy ukn) 4 3/8" spear point blade, partial serrations. Liner lock. Black composite scales (G10?). Black Cordura belt pouch with snap retainer.

7. Cold Steel "Vaquero Grande" folder. SS 6" serrated "Nogales" clip-point blade. Black composite grip, conventional blade lock release. Kydex carry pouch with belt clip. With box, though box shows moderate storage wear.

8. D.H. Russell-Grohmann Canadian belt knife. Uniquely shaped 4" SS blade. Riveted dark hardwood grip scales with braided nylon wrist loop. Tan leather pouch-type sheath. With original box and literature.

9. Cold Steel Recon Tanto. Early model with 7" Carbon V blade, fine-grain powdercoat finish. Molded Kraton grip with lanyard hole. Heavy black leather sheath with two snap retainers. With original box and all packaging materials.

Any help or advice on what any or all of these might bring would be greatly appreciated. I'm still digging through the boxes of other stuff trying to sort out what I want to hold on to and what can go.

Last edited:

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    You may want to inquire with A. G. Russell; the sponsor the website www.thecuttingedge.com which they describe as:

"For nearly forty years, The Cutting Edge® and cuttingedge.com™ have been the largest and most visible aftermarket for knives of all kinds. From 1968 until the 1990s, A. G. Russell's List of Knives for Immediate Delivery (became The Cutting Edge® in 1990) was the ONLY place an individual could sell his knife collection without traveling to knife shows."

I do not know how their system works or the associated fees, but I do know that they are well-respected by serious collectors.

Good luck, it looks like you have some fine pieces.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Thank you, jim7310. I've purchased quite a few items from A.G. Russell over the years and still get their catalogs every so often. It never occurred to me to try looking at "The Cutting Edge", as virtually all of my modest accumulation consists of factory/production pieces and I was under the impression that this site/publication was pretty much intended for buyers and collectors of high-end custom pieces. I will check it out now, and again I thank you for the lead.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Checked out "The Cutting Edge", but turns out that it's basically devoted to items that A.G. Russell's company has in-stock and for sale, plus a way to commission custom-made knives from one of their several featured bladesmiths. Bummer.

Still slogging around Ebay, Gun Broker, Guns America, etc. ad nauseum without much in the way of success. Blade Forum wants $25 for a "Gold" membership before they'll let me post to ask for opinions on current value even if I specifically state that I'm not offering any of them for sale, due (they tell me) to the fact that there are some folks out there who might PM with offers anyway. Since they can't be certain that I wouldn't be tempted into accepting one, and their policy is that only "Gold" members may do that, they'd rather I not post the question unless I pony-up the $25 first. I'm mulling, but it still irks me some.

I've been trying to register on The Knife Forum, but haven't been able to yet due to a section on the form where it says: Prove that you are human. Answer This...." followed by a box. No actual question ever appears and no matter what I input in that box, it's rejected. When I try to use the "contact us" option to find out what the problem might be, there's the same damn box and it's "Catch-22 City"... again!

All very frustrating and apparently my Google Fu (or perhaps just my patience) is not strong enough to winnow whatever few kernals of value that might be hiding in about a gazillion pages of otherwise useless crud.

@ Bradsknives: May I PM you regarding the possiblities of arranging for an appraisal and your fee for such a service?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Checked out "The Cutting Edge", but turns out that it's basically devoted to items that A.G. Russell's company has in-stock and for sale, plus a way to commission custom-made knives from one of their several featured bladesmiths. Bummer.

Still slogging around Ebay, Gun Broker, Guns America, etc. ad nauseum without much in the way of success. Blade Forum wants $25 for a "Gold" membership before they'll let me post to ask for opinions on current value even if I specifically state that I'm not offering any of them for sale, due (they tell me) to the fact that there are some folks out there who might PM with offers anyway. Since they can't be certain that I wouldn't be tempted into accepting one, and their policy is that only "Gold" members may do that, they'd rather I not post the question unless I pony-up the $25 first. I'm mulling, but it still irks me some.

I've been trying to register on The Knife Forum, but haven't been able to yet due to a section on the form where it says: Prove that you are human. Answer This...." followed by a box. No actual question ever appears and no matter what I input in that box, it's rejected. When I try to use the "contact us" option to find out what the problem might be, there's the same damn box and it's "Catch-22 City"... again!

All very frustrating and apparently my Google Fu (or perhaps just my patience) is not strong enough to winnow whatever few kernals of value that might be hiding in about a gazillion pages of otherwise useless crud.

@ Bradsknives: May I PM you regarding the possiblities of arranging for an appraisal and your fee for such a service?[/QUOTE]

Feel free in PMing me, I would be more than willing to try and help you. As far as a fee....hmmmm, your an INGO member, so no fee unless I have to travel a good distance which I believe won't be necessary if you can send me good pictures of what you have.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county

@ Bradsknives: May I PM you regarding the possiblities of arranging for an appraisal and your fee for such a service?[/QUOTE]

Feel free in PMing me, I would be more than willing to try and help you. As far as a fee....hmmmm, your an INGO member, so no fee unless I have to travel a good distance which I believe won't be necessary if you can send me good pictures of what you have.

brad your the man brother :)

gunrunr76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    ft. wayne
    knife values

if you can send me some pics i would gladly show them to the owner of grindstone cutlery...mike...and pass you on what he said.....he has a lot of knowledge on steel...i pick his brain often

Top Bottom