• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I was reading the local paper at lunch, The Corrupted Tribune, and I saw something that I see all the time and still makes me go :dunno:. A person was arrested for failure to appear and then released on bond. Why is a person that has shown intent not to take responsibility for their actions allowed to bond out? This makes no sense to me and I have seen it on several charges before not just the petty stuff.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    BINGO!!!!!! Try getting arrested for child support when you DO NOT have kids! Friend of mine got locked up and had to spend the weekend until monday morning in jail and they had the wrong guy! It cost him 1000 bucks for a lawyer and HE had to prove he was the wrong guy (instead of THEM proving he was the right guy)before it was erased by the court and then he had to pay court cost.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    because a lot of times your "failure to appear" is for something retarded like a speeding ticket.

I usually research them and I haven't found one yet that was for a speeding ticket. I think about the most ridiculous ones are the possession charges that get nailed for failure to appear. If it was for a speeding ticket and they forgot to pay then why not just make them do the time since they wouldn't pay the fine.

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    sign.jpg

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    because a lot of times your "failure to appear" is for something retarded like a speeding ticket.

I was pulled over a couple of years ago (the very night the Colts won the Superbowl, actually) and was informed that there was a warrant for my arrest for "Failure to Appear."

I was placed under arrest and taken to jail. If you'll all recall, there was a bad snowstorm that night, and the Bailiff couldn't, or wouldn't, come in to set my bail for 5 days, so I was stuck there for 5 days. Lost my job for missing 5 days in a row.

When I finally did get out and speak with a lawyer, I found out that it was related to a ticket I'd received for underage drinking 3 years prior. According to them, the ticket had never been paid. Now, I was sure I had paid it, but did not have the receipt from three years ago to prove it.

Fast forward to my court date. At this point, I didn't have any proof that it had been paid, and it was a fairly cheap ticket, so I was just going to pay it again and be on my way (keeping the receipt this time, of course.) The judge called everyone's name, except for me, and then asked if there was anyone else who had a court date today that he hadn't called up. I raised my hand, and gave him my name. He looked through his paperwork and couldn't find me, so he called down to the clerk to have them bring my paperwork to the courtroom. 15 minutes pass, and no one shows up, so the Judge sends the Stenographer to the clerks office to find out what the hold up is. 15 more minutes pass, and the Judge advises me to "Sit tight for a minute," because he was going to run down there himself and find out what was taking so long. 15 more minutes pass, as I'm standing in the courtroom, just myself and a bailiff.

Finally, the Judge and Stenographer come back, and they both sit down. The Judge looks up at me and says:

"Well, erm... we've looked over the complaint, and we managed to find the records showing that you originally paid the ticket, so... you're free to go."

*Gavel Bang*

Last edited:

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I can't count the number of times I've been picked up for failure to appear for not paying a ticket. well, I could but I don't wanna flip through that many pages in my driving record to count them lol

BigGuyinMuncie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Muncie
    That way they get the money and still get to lock you up. Probably won't show up the second time either. I don't think it makes much since either.:popcorn:

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Money definitely plays a role. But the point of catch and release is to relieve overcrowding.

An arrest and temporary detention until processing is completed is not the same thing as serving a jail term. Pretty simple math here - even if the guy spends a night in jail before his trial, that's still going to free up more jail space than even a minor 30-day sentence. And who would you rather have there, a guy who has a habit of missing court, or the guy who tends to drink and drive?

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Money definitely plays a role. But the point of catch and release is to relieve overcrowding.

An arrest and temporary detention until processing is completed is not the same thing as serving a jail term. Pretty simple math here - even if the guy spends a night in jail before his trial, that's still going to free up more jail space than even a minor 30-day sentence. And who would you rather have there, a guy who has a habit of missing court, or the guy who tends to drink and drive?

I think anything that short term just as well to serve short time probation with employment or volunteered labor is a requirement.

Top Bottom