• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I have just purchased a Savage 10T-SR in .223. I am adding a Vortex Viper PST 6-24xx50 EBR-1 MOA SCOPE.
    The 24” barrel is threaded for a suppressor. I’ve Googled “suppressors” but don’t get much that helps me understand purpose, option, availability. My intent is to bench this rifle as well as use it for my main gun for a Colorado prairie dog shoot this coming August.

Or . . . . . . should I look at muzzle brakes.

Or, should I forget any of the above ?

Hoping someone on here can give me info or a reference source.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Kameseri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    B-Burg
    Should probably be moved to class III discussion. However:

Purpose - Primarily the private citizen uses supressors to make the shooting session more pleasurable by lowering the decibel level of rounds shot, lessening the concussive wave from the barrel and lowering the disruption of particulate or debris around the weapon. Especially on a benchrest or range gun this also increases the comfort of pretty much everyone on the shooting line. The added benefit of sound dispersion in reference to location of the shot comes with no benefit to a benchrest and assuming you are shooting them at a decent range negligible to a prairie dog Hunter. Though if given the option between hunting all day with a suppressed weapon or not, I'd always shot suppressed.

Options - a whole lot. I went with a multicaliber SilencerCo Omega and using the ASR mounting system with the appropriate muzzle devices I can shoot .223/5.56 / .224 Valkrine / .300 BLK / .308. And with the optional muzzle brake on the end of the suppressor rather than the block plate it's very enjoyable to shoot. Downside being I have to purchase ASR mountable muzzle devices for all the guns I'd like to shoot it on that aren't. 308.

Availability - provided you're buying something that's currently in production you're setback is the NFA wait time.

Kameseri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    B-Burg
    To add to that the muzzle ASR mountable devices from SilencerCo are a muzzle break or flash hider. So you could still have the non-suppressed muzzle break you'd want and it's fairly effective on the guns I've shot it on by itself.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Kameseri summed it up pretty well. I would like to add that you will almost certainly not receive a suppressor by August of this year. Last I saw Form 4 individual and trusts were running about 9 months for tax stamp approval.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    FWIW, nfatracker.com has the average F4 individual at ~250 days and a trust is ~ 320 days. Christmas may be a close estimate than August for a supressor.

Top Bottom