Can someone Step-by-Step explain e-filing, please?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LostLake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    West Side
    Could someone who's successfully e-filed please explain the process? From reading here, I'm not the only one who doesn't fully understand the process of e-filing. When I go to pay for the NFA items currently being held, I want to make for darn sure I know the process. The main reason I'm paying for the trust is the ability to e-file.

Some questions I can't find a clear answer for -

Who files the form 4? You or the dealer? - I've read the dealer e-files, but also read individual can. This is a biggie because what if the dealer can't or won't e-file? I can envision some stubborn guys being stuck in their ways.

(If ONE can file the form 4 for (themselves) online, can you provide the link, please?)

Who collects the tax-stamp money? I've read the dealer via pay.gov or something

How does filing your trust work? Do the documents need to be in a certain format before filing?

If you could, briefly walk us through the entire process, please. Thank you very much for taking the time.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I will answer some from the dealer side of the house.

-I would say that most dealers are not going to get set up for E-file...it's a hassle they do not need and more work for them without any benifit. That is just a guess though.

-As for who files it....it is set up/authorized on the dealers computer and as I read it, the customer can fill it out on the dealers computer but for ease and speed, we just fill it out ourselves personally.

-As for the tax stamp money... The customer normally is to go to pay.gov to pay for the tax stamp. However the dealer can not submit the form to the FBI until payment is made. To help the dealers, there is a pay button on the same page that we submit the form to make life easy. Therefore, we just pay it as soon as we are done filling out the form and then charge the customer all at the same time.

-As for a the trust documents... It is nice to have the documents on some type of electronic file from the purchaser/customer because one must load them onto the form when E-filing on the computer. If you have a paper copy then that just means we must scan each piece on the file one by one and is just more work to attach the file that way.

-Long story short....You have a trust, you walk into my store and purchase a suppressor. I E-file on the spot and/or same day and collect $200 from you for the tax stamp. I must also collect your trust while E-filing and load that at the same time. You (the customer) then wait for it to come back back to us approved and we will call you! That is it!

Some dealers may do it differently, IE have you fill out the form on their computer, have you go home and pay the $200 on pay.gov, then have you come back to confirm payment and info, THEN submit the files...IDK, I just know how we do it.

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I will answer some from the dealer side of the house.

-I would say that most dealers are not going to get set up for E-file...it's a hassle they do not need and more work for them without any pay. Before you ask, yes we are set up for it and have ran a couple.

-As for who files it....it is set up on the dealers computer and as I read it, the customer can fill it out but for ease and speed, we just fill it out ourselves.

-As for the tax stamp money, the customer is supposed to go to pay.gov to pay for it. However the dealer can not submit the form until payment is made. To help the dealers in though there is a pay button on the same page that we fill out the form to make life easy. Therefore we just pay it as soon as we are done with the form and then charge the customer all at the same time.

-As for a the trust documents, it is nice to have the documents on some type of electronic file because you load them onto the form when filling it out on the computer. If you have a paper copy then that just means we have to scan each piece in one by one and is just more work to attach the file that way.

-Long story short....you have a trust...you walk into my store and purchase a suppressor...I sit there and e-file right then and collect an extra $200 from you for the tax stamp and pay that. I also collect your trust while filling and load that at the same time either by email attachment or manually entering it with scanner. You then wait for it to come back! that is it! Some dealers may do it differently, as in have you fill out the form on their computer or have you go home and pay the $200 on pay.gov then have you come back and THEN submit the files...IDK, I just know how we do it.

Thank you for your reply.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I would say most dealers eventually will e-file if they want to keep their customers happy. I've bought one suppressor, and I've got a few more on my list. From here on out, if the dealer won't e-file, then I'll find one who does.

LostLake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    West Side
    No problem...I edited my post after I read it....Sometimes I wonder how I even talk...lol...my post should make more sense or at least be an easier read now.

Thank you very much for the reply. This puts the process in to plain English for me hahaha.

It looks like you'll be earning more of my business in the near future. Having the capability to e-file will be a huge factor on choosing my next purchase.

I would say most dealers eventually will e-file if they want to keep their customers happy. I've bought one suppressor, and I've got a few more on my list. From here on out, if the dealer won't e-file, then I'll find one who does.

This is going to be my attitude as well. Shaving off 4-5 months of wait time is HUGE for the consumer.

Last edited:

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thank you very much for the reply. This puts the process in to plain English for me hahaha.

It looks like you'll be earning more of my business in the near future. Having the capability to e-file will be a huge factor on choosing my next purchase.

This is going to be my attitude as well. Shaving off 4-5 months of wait time is HUGE for the consumer.

No problem man, hope to see you soon!

Top Bottom