Can the Uberti 1873 Cattleman Handle +P Ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Can the Uberti 1873 Cattleman Handle +P Ammo? Got a chance to buy some ammo at pre-panic prices, but not sure the weapon can handle it.

Can't find it mentioned in manual.

Thanks!!

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I've had one of those. Nice guns. They would probably handle a few rounds, but I sure wouldn't feed it many of them. I'm certainly no gunsmith or metalurgist, however.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a cattleman...and I cannot find any reference to +P in the documents included either...

Google led me here:

Uberti Help [Archive] - Maryland Shooters

User "Huckleberry" claims that the pistol will handle it, but that it will likely do damage, and possibly create a major failure after repeated use.

Is Huckleberry a credible source?

Prolly not, but I would be leery to use the hotter loads anyway.

Do you need more power?

If so, is a different platform a possibility?

-Paul

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    This gun is chambered for 357 magnum right? I'm going to go against the flow here and say it should handle any number of +P 38sp loads. What about the gun would prevent this, cylinder wall thickness or top strap too thin?
    Simply being an old design doesn't mean much, if the engineering essentials are there, esp considering modern metalurgy . We are talking about a full size Colt SAA type gun here right?
    Considering the OP's reference to 38sp +P ammo in post #4 I'm assuming ,and making my comments based on this being a 357magnum chambered gun.
    If a 40 oz or so milled steel revolver can't handle 38sp +P then woe to him who would shoot it with the 357mag for which it is chambered.
    I've shot 357magnum chambered Uberti Cattleman revolvers with both +P 38sp and 357mag ammo and with no ill effect.

Last edited:

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I am with KALBOY on this topic. I have a 357 mag Uberti and it shows no excessive wear or problems from 38, 38Plus P, or factory 357.

Here it is with a KBI Chromed 45 LC. I really like the looks of the case-hardened and Brass
    12453.jpg

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here is my Uberti 1873 Cattleman chamber for .357 magnum.

picture.php

Nice weapon. Used for plinking only, so I think i will stay with the .38SPL. The good-priced +P ammo is no longer available. However, it is good to know that if necessary, I could fire the +P in the weapon.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This gun is chambered for 357 magnum right? I'm going to go against the flow here and say it should handle any number of +P 38sp loads. What about the gun would prevent this, cylinder wall thickness or top strap too thin?
    Simply being an old design doesn't mean much, if the engineering essentials are there, esp considering modern metalurgy . We are talking about a full size Colt SAA type gun here right?
    Considering the OP's reference to 38sp +P ammo in post #4 I'm assuming ,and making my comments based on this being a 357magnum chambered gun.
    If a 40 oz or so milled steel revolver can't handle 38sp +P then woe to him who would shoot it with the 357mag for which it is chambered.
    I've shot 357magnum chambered Uberti Cattleman revolvers with both +P 38sp and 357mag ammo and with no ill effect.

For some reason I was thinking 45 Long Colt in +P or deer hunting loads. I will give the nod to my fellow Perry Countian (on weekends anyway, Yes kalboy I am one of those Clark County Wonders that invade your fair land once a week to wear old Carharts, say "Yup" and squint while packing a big Smith on my hip;))

With that being said I take back my Great Dane/Toy Poodle Rape anaolgy and knowing this is a .357 Magnum (which the Colt was made in) and say that yes, 38 special plus P's are okay.

With apologies to Dog Lovers everywhere ofcourse...:D

A toast to Marcies and the bbq ribs.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Well there was ( in my opinion anyway) no wrong answer given by anyone. If the gun had been 45 Colt then +P would have been well advised to be fired sparingly if at all.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    For some reason I was thinking 45 Long Colt in +P or deer hunting loads. I will give the nod to my fellow Perry Countian (on weekends anyway, Yes kalboy I am one of those Clark County Wonders that invade your fair land once a week to wear old Carharts, say "Yup" and squint while packing a big Smith on my hip;))

With that being said I take back my Great Dane/Toy Poodle Rape anaolgy and knowing this is a .357 Magnum (which the Colt was made in) and say that yes, 38 special plus P's are okay.

With apologies to Dog Lovers everywhere ofcourse...:D

A toast to Marcies and the bbq ribs.

I was thinking .45Colt also.

But the analogy still makes me laugh!

Top Bottom