• ...and so much more!
  • ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe.
    Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802
    'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered..'

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Ask any high school kid who Jefferson is. Ask any of them who Washington, Madison, Lincoln, ....etc, are. All they've been fed is the liberal mantra of Kennedy, Clinton and Obama.

We are not teaching our children, we are training them.:xmad:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Jefferson who? I think you guys give students too much credit. I couldn't have told you he was the third. I can't tell you who the second was. I can't name one president under the articles of the confederation. At least i know the articles existed.

Of course, this begs the question as to how useful these facts are. Man, i could get some people excited by pushing that question!

Anywho, Jefferson said a lot and he disliked big government and big business.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Of course, this begs the question as to how useful these facts are. Man, i could get some people excited by pushing that question!

As history just keeps repeating itself, sooner or later, we need to learn from our mistakes. (Yeah, RIIIIIGHT. Like that's going to happen!!!):cool:

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    He also played a large role in the of the Bill of Rights.

Thomas Jefferson, at the time serving as Ambassador to France, wrote to Madison advocating a Bill of Rights: "Half a loaf is better than no bread. If we cannot secure all our rights, let us secure what we can."

Madison later introduced the Bill of Rights to the First Congress.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    and if you chew tobacco,
    and wish upon a star,
    well, you'll find out where the scarecrows sit,
    just like punchlines between the cars.

And I know a place where a royal flush,
    never beats a pair,
    and even Thomas Jefferson,
    is on the nickel,
    over there.

Tom Waits, On the Nickel

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Maybe he was pointing out that 50% of them wouldn't know who was on the $20 and they would guess Jefferson? Who knows, the wording is a little confusing.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    He also played a large role in the of the Bill of Rights.

Madison later introduced the Bill of Rights to the First Congress.

Jefferson didn't even want the Constitution. He was just fine with the Articles of Confederation.

Some argue that the Bill of Rights actually hurts liberty, because statists can point to it and only give you those rights and say that the BoR is the source of those rights.

Notice how no one ever talks about the 9th Amendment, the most important one, because it states that the Bill of Rights is NOT an exhaustive list.

Most Republicans and Democrats hate the 9th Amendment.

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    Jefferson was Great...He penned Our Declaration of Independance and took offense when the first continental congress was changing it before agreeing to it..it was that personal to him

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    re: succession vs. secession

The best chance any one or group of States had to successfully secede from the Union was in 1861. A group of States had, in rapid succession, joined and formed a Confederacy, and thereafter decided on secession.

They were not successful at secession.

Top Bottom