Can we organize a Limited Gun "Test Drive" Day near Indianapolis?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    I've got a "beater" STI EDGE to throw in the mix. Nothing special. I bought a stock one and did a bit of tuning on it to make it shootable. It does have a pretty light trigger so caution would be required for the "four pounds is perfect" guys. I'll bring ammo and all I'd ask is to be reimbursed for the cost to reload load it.
    Now if someone would trade me my ammo for their talent...............

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Don't let this post fool you; George's "beater" is nicer that most people's expensive custom pistols. I can't wait to try everything out at the range!

I've got a "beater" STI EDGE to throw in the mix. Nothing special. I bought a stock one and did a bit of tuning on it to make it shootable. It does have a pretty light trigger so caution would be required for the "four pounds is perfect" guys. I'll bring ammo and all I'd ask is to be reimbursed for the cost to reload load it.
    Now if someone would trade me my ammo for their talent...............

Last edited:

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Adding MORE cool toys to the list!

If I'm able to make it I can bring
    BH .40 FF
    STI open .38 Super
    STI Steelmaster 9mm
    STI .40 Limited by Marvel

If you can make it to the Limited Gun Test Drive day, that would be awesome! I know there is a LOT of interest in 6" Benny Hill Fat Free guns, so I'm sure you'll be a very popular guy that day :cool:

I'm happy that we'll be getting a broad spectrum of what's out there, so that people can get exposure to different styles of pistols. I would have KILLED to get this kind of experience when I was just getting started! I think it will benefit the owners to try out different options, and it will benefit the newbys to see the different styles of guns available for competition.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can bring my .45 Para from 1996, but no one wants to shoot it. :D

I can bring my 9mm Para too ... that's more interesting.

EDIT TO ADD:

D'OH! I just realized you're doing this on 02JAN10. I can't make it ... I'll be w-w-w-w-working with Coach.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It sounds like we're getting somewhere! I'll talk to the Board at Marion County Fish and Game to see if we can reserve an afternoon to do this in a month or two. I could set up a few pieces of steel, and people could try out different guns with a timer present to see how they work for them.

This isn't my party, but I'd recommend doing this at AtlantaCC or somewhere else that isn't so restrictive on range rules. Part of test driving a limited gun will be drawing from the holster, which is against the rules at MCFG, right? You probably do not want to sink money into a 6-inch gun after just shooting one, then find out it messes up your draw and time to your first target.

Last edited:

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    At Marion County Fish and Game THIS Time...

Let's plan on having this Limited Gun Test Drive at Marion County Fish and Game this time. While current club rules don't allow people to draw from a holster, at least we can shoot some steel and get a feel for the different guns. If we ever schedule something like this for the future, ACC would be a good idea too (especially in warmer weather).

My goal here is to have 1-2 hours of range time, which should be plenty (it's January weather...). After we're done shooting and everything is safely put away, I'd like to go grab some food at BW3's. Anybody that wants to come along is welcome to do so (even Rhino) :)

This isn't my party, but I'd recommend doing this at AtlantaCC or somewhere else that isn't so restrictive on range rules. Part of test driving a limited gun will be drawing from the holster, which is against the rules at MCFG, right? You probably do not want to sink money into a 6-inch gun after just shooting one, then find out it messes up your draw and time to your first target.

Trickpony

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Out of State :(
    I can bring a few toys to play with if you set something up @ ACC... I'll be less a few after Christmas as I'm going back to my 'smiths place to drop off and have some changes made but I should still have a couple 5" Limited guns of different weights and sight tracker vs. bull barrel. If we do this later in 2010 I can bring more toys :)

As for the 6" guns... I had a lightened one similar to the Benny Hill fat free and ended up switching back to a 5" gun. Just didn't like the way it pointed and the recoil felt different... Most of the top shooters I know that are still fairly young that were trying 6" guns switched back to their 5" models... Didn't really ask any of them why but I suspect the longer sight radius just doesn't make that much difference after the "beep". Now when my eyesight starts creeping toward poor, that extra inch might be the way to go :)

Xamor 101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Come with?

O man, I'd really like to join you guys myself as well and test some myself, though I wouldn't be bringing any "toys" to the table either. Not quite sure if I could make it on the 2nd, tho if possible I'd sure like to. I love learning everything there is to know about guns, and as it is, you can't just read up first hand experience. I'll of course cover the $ for any ammo I :ar15: Just let me know if you guys decide to change ur time/location.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Long thread with plenty of info, we need one post with final times and if a person is going to bring Factory ammo if their worried or if they bring reloads for their own gun.

I plan to be there but I"m not sure where there is, If its atlanta that too far for me but if it Marion county I'm in

I'll bring

Eaa Witness Match
    SW M&P
    Colt 1911 45 Comp gun

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    FINAL TIME AND LOCATION

Shooters,
    For our inaugural "Test Drive" day we're going to keep it simple. The details are:

1) Where: Marion County Fish and Game at 7052 Crawfordsville Rd (www.IndyRange.com)

2) When: January 2nd at 2 pm

3) What to bring: Your USPSA, Steel Challenge, and Friday Night Steel guns

4) Ammo: I will leave it up to each individual gun owner. In my own personal guns, you can shoot factory ammo or reloads, but if your ammo breaks it, you bought it.

5) Who is responsible: Each shooter is personally responsible for following club rules and being safe.

6) How much: $10 visitor fee for non-members, no fee for MCFG members.

We'll plan on setting up some steel and shooting for ~2 hours. Thanks to everybody who is bringing guns to shoot; lets have a safe, fun time.

See you on January 2nd,
    Chuck

Long thread with plenty of info, we need one post with final times and if a person is going to bring Factory ammo if their worried or if they bring reloads for their own gun.

I plan to be there but I"m not sure where there is, If its atlanta that too far for me but if it Marion county I'm in

I'll bring

Eaa Witness Match
    SW M&P
    Colt 1911 45 Comp gun

Last edited:

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    I'm going to try to be there if my LTCH arrives in time, but I think the blasted holidays are going to throw a wrench in that plan.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Less than a week away!

Shooters,
    Our game-gun test drive is "on" for 2 pm, Saturday January 2nd at Marion County Fish and Game. I'll bring my Limited gun in .40 and my Production gun in 9mm for people to try out. Right now it looks like it could be pretty cold out, but we will have the clubhouse open so that we can go inside to warm up.
    Please treat this just like a normal match; no loaded guns / gun handling unless under direct supervision of the RO's.
    Thanks for your interest; I can't wait to see everybody that is coming out. Hopefully this will be a great opportunity for new shooters and seasoned shooters to test out different guns to find out what works best for them!
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It's ON for Saturday!

We're still "on" for tomorrow! I'll try to get there early and warm up the clubhouse, so that we have a place to keep warm when we're not shooting. See you all tomorrow!

Top Bottom