Can you ACTUALLY sell 'gold coins' and keep the money?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    TEK is the closest so far. Coins are considered "collectibles", the same as a painting, for example, and gains are taxed at a flat 28%, regardless of your income level (your income bracket is irrelevant.) This all assumes that the coins have been owned for at least 1 year, and that was a given in the OP's post.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    The IRS is illegal anyway, do whatever you want, at your own risk of course. I wouldn't think any less of anyone who avoided paying money to the IRS.

Looking around online it appears there is a 1099B for all transactions and reports are made directly to the feds for trasn over 10K if you work with a dealer. And that is for anything, from junk silver quarters, to gold coins.
    I personally only sell and buy from private individuals, that way you can get the most out of it.
    I know that is harder to do with gold, it is a lot more valuable than silver , and not something you want to advertise, but there are ways it can be done.

Last edited:

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    you guys may not be aware of this but gains on gold and silver coins are usually not taxed at the lt cap gains rate but instead at the "collectibles" rate.

A close financial advisor to me just said the same thing about coins being collectibles, so I must retract my capital gains statements in relation to coins earlier.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The way prices on goods have inflated over the years you can't really look at your "gain" in a price per ounce way anyways. Well you can but inflations comes into the equation.

So if you paid $500 an ounce for your gold and now it's $1400 an ounce or whatever, other things that cost money have also went up.

So maybe gas was $.90 a gallon and now it's $3.65. And a loaf of bread was .50 and now it's $2.00, ect.

Top Bottom