Can you "check a gun" at the Canadian border?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A friend of mine is a truck diver(OTR), and is looking at hauling a load up to Canada. He has his In. Lifetime LTCH which we all know is USELESS in Canada.:xmad:

He asked me to find out if there are provisions to "check a handgun" at the border, and retrieve it upon returning to the U.S.?

Anyone have any knowledge/ suggestions as to where to look for such info.?

Thanks folks

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Just for giggles:

You can check your gun at the Canadian border. You won't get a receipt, but you will spend time in their fine Grey Concrete Palaces. Three meals a day and all the weightlifting you want. Lawyer not included with this special promotion.:D

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    This reminds me of a story about a personal friend of mine some years ago (and he's a fair bit younger than myself as well; 12 years maybe?).

Anyway, he showed up at the border with his revolver (in the trunk if I recall correctly) and in all innocence had no idea it was a problem. After having an open discussion with the border guy ("Any weapons sir." "Well, now that you mention it, yes."). To make a long story short, they eventually (did the right thing) allowed him to turn around and come back (WITH his gun). Can you believe it! I just stood there with my mouth open when he shared this. I'd estimate it was within the last 10 years.

I wouldn't count on that ever happening again.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    It was I, who stopped all international commerce.....

.....on the Ambassador Bridge on a fine summer Sunday, 10 yrs. ago.. Got all the way up the merge apron on U.S. side and saw the (not very big) "Do not enter Canada with a firearm in your possession" sign on the pole. Sheisse!! I have my G-21 in the trunk. I turned in at the Mounty Station immediately after being 100-yds. inside of Canada, and turned myself over to the law. Innocence went a longer way then than now. Brief interview, and then the fun part: This Mounty walks out to the middle of the traffic, (He's dressed like a Candaien Marine Ranger, I think -- lots of brass and blue with khaki jodphurs, and the way-kewl hat -- but NO gun! He holds up his hand and the trucks all stop! All vehicular commerce between the countries ceased! I backed out of the station, turned around and went home -- but that's another story: How Does One Explain Coming In From Canada With A Pistol In Your Trunk !!?? Nope, no paperwork, but every U.S. Border Policeman in Wayne County had a look at my Glock!! Long story short: NO HAND-GUNS IN CANADA.

This reminds me of a story about a personal friend of mine some years ago (and he's a fair bit younger than myself as well; 12 years maybe?).

Anyway, he showed up at the border with his revolver (in the trunk if I recall correctly) and in all innocence had no idea it was a problem. After having an open discussion with the border guy ("Any weapons sir." "Well, now that you mention it, yes."). To make a long story short, they eventually (did the right thing) allowed him to turn around and come back (WITH his gun). Can you believe it! I just stood there with my mouth open when he shared this. I'd estimate it was within the last 10 years.

I wouldn't count on that ever happening again.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom