Can you leave your pistol in your car at the airport?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cintile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Can anyone please confirm, if its lawful to leave your pistol in your car at the airport? Say if your just going in to greet someone who is landing?

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Indy Southside
    To answer your question...yes you can leave it in your car. You can carry inside the airport (with LTCH), as long as you don't attempt to go through the security check.

sfehrman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2013
    Greenwood
    I dont know for sure, but here is my opinion.
    Should be perfectly acceptable, of course you are always responsible to keep your weapon secured. So I would make sure it is hidden and locked up tight.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Can anyone please confirm, if its lawful to leave your pistol in your car at the airport? Say if your just going in to greet someone who is landing?

Any more it is easiest to wait in the cell phone lot and have them call/text you when they are getting their baggage, and then pick them up.

As others have stated you stated you should not have an issue.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    You can leave it on your person and go right in. As long as you stay on the unsecured side of the airport, which is where you have to stay unless you have an airline ticket anyway. So you can go inside the doors or to baggage claim or whatever, just not through a TSA checkpoint.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Indy airport is a no carry zone. Airports can decide if their unsecured side of the airport is a carry side or the whole airport is non-carry. Airports come under Fed Law and FFA rules. I called and asked as the wife is in and out for work 1-2 times a month. You can leave a gun in a car and be ok. Gun inside of terminal can get you a stay in the gray bar hotel. Call and ask.

councilman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Danville
    Indy airport is a no carry zone. Airports can decide if their unsecured side of the airport is a carry side or the whole airport is non-carry. Airports come under Fed Law and FFA rules. I called and asked as the wife is in and out for work 1-2 times a month. You can leave a gun in a car and be ok. Gun inside of terminal can get you a stay in the gray bar hotel. Call and ask.

The FAA has no regulations prohibiting firearms in the unsecured areas of the airport. IC is very clear in only making the secure areas of the airport off limits. This goes back to the trespass issue. If asked to leave you must go. Until then you are good to go.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As a local government entity, the Airport Authority may NOT have a policy on carry. They must follow all local, state, and federal laws. Their current policy against carry (as displayed on their window stickers) is illegal, but has not yet been challenged.

Unless you are in a protected class (air marshal, for instance) you may not carry beyond the security check. Anywhere else (baggage claim, ticketing, parking, etc...) is perfectly legal.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    The FAA has no regulations prohibiting firearms in the unsecured areas of the airport. IC is very clear in only making the secure areas of the airport off limits. This goes back to the trespass issue. If asked to leave you must go. Until then you are good to go.

Not exactly true. If the terminal area also has access to a colocated air traffic control tower then you may not carry a firearm past any marked doors. (Most are locked and pass key or PID Scanner equipped). But generally speaking the FAA has zero jurisdiction on the rest of the airport terminal area. The jurisdiction picks up outside in the airfield area, planes, etc. Indy terminal does NOT have a colacted air traffic control tower since the tower is on the southwest side of the airport. How in the heck do I know? I work for the FAA.

BTW Someone tell warren that the (FFA) is Future Farmers of America. :n00b:

councilman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Danville
    Not exactly true. If the terminal area also has access to a colocated air traffic control tower then you may not carry a firearm past any marked doors. (Most are locked and pass key or PID Scanner equipped). But generally speaking the FAA has zero jurisdiction on the rest of the airport terminal area. The jurisdiction picks up outside in the airfield area, planes, etc. Indy terminal does NOT have a colacted air traffic control tower since the tower is on the southwest side of the airport. How in the heck do I know? I work for the FAA.

True, But technically I consider the Tower, TRACON, and Center secured facilities. Just a bit more information than needed in this thread for those not working in aviation.

Last edited:

paddywonka

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2009
    Some good information here. Always a good idea if you have to leave your handgun in your auto, to make sure it is unloaded and locked.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    Some good information here. Always a good idea if you have to leave your handgun in your auto, to make sure it is unloaded and locked.

And if there is a crazy in the airport with a gun you'll be unprotected? My wife flies a lot and I always carry in the airports in the unsecured areas. Never had a problem.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I had to pick up my fiances mom from a business trip a few weeks ago.

I walked into the airport (concealed, sadly), and grabbed her bags, at which point I became unconcealed, and walked back out. We even had to make a stop at some small coffee thing for her, while I was unconcealed, and I didn't have any problems..

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've CC'd in and out of the non-secured areas at IND & FWA...no problems! Just know where the limits are...and stay within them!

I agree with text and meeting them at baggage pick-up! Personally protected...and non-conflicted!

Top Bottom