• ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Michigan gun culture is an odd one, Rhino.

Take this 1980's snapshot as a generalization, please.

In industrial areas, pheasant hunting and deer hunting were never more than a 15 minute cruise in the old Buick to some state land. Heck, if you had a few years in at GM, chances are you had your own land and deer camp up north anyway.

Everyone I knew growing up had hunting rifles and shotguns. Not all of them truly believed in the RKBA - even if they had a rifle for everyday of the week - some of those folks would tell me that handguns had no purpose in modern society (chortle!). I can laugh about it now, kind of.

Do you know who had the best guns and the most guns? Liberal voting union guys. They loved handguns. They loved ARs. Anything they could find at the time (mid 1980's), they would buy it up and show it off. My uncle had a leaking roof and a coal burning furnace, but his guns and cars and boat were the most attractive things in the county.

As the 80's came to a close, so did many factories. 90's didn't improve, same with the next 20 years. Most guys played it smart with some of that GM money, others not so.

Anyways... Attitudes about handguns have improved in some places (as crime has boomed). The dyed in the wool leftists will never accept some things - and the politics show that.

My mom is waaaay up north, almost to the bridge. There is an unpleasant mix of authoritarian leftists and totalitarian rights. But she likes it up there. And she like handguns, and open carry doesn't bother her at all.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I think that you will find Michigan like any other state, some areas nobody will care, other areas they will act as if the world is ending right now.

Bill is right. There are pockets of the state with active OC activists making headway for acceptance of the practice, but, by and large OC is still not welcome. You have to remember, MI has not even had shall issue CC for that long of a time. I remember back in '92 when I was working at the prison in Michigan City, I got a MI "General" permit and knew it was a BIG deal.

Top Bottom