• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    For those of you who have requested additional "legal scenarios," here's the next one:

You're minding your own business, sitting in your SUV at a stop light at Capitol and South Streets in Indy. You notice a very intoxicated man on foot, weaving in and out of the cars at the intersection, cursing and yelling incomprehensibly. You also notice that he has what appears to be a tire iron in his hand.

He approaches your vehicle, pounding on the hood with his free hand and yelling at you to get out of your SUV. He screams that he likes your truck and wants to drive it home.

He stands outside your driver's side window, pounding on it with his free hand, demanding that you get out of the truck and give him the keys. He never produces a gun or a knife, but at one point he shows you the tire iron through the window, and says, "How'd you like some of this? Now get out of the damn truck."

You're the first car at the intersection and the light turns green, but you pull your handgun from your center console and shoot him through the closed window, killing him instantly.

Do you have any legal problems?

========================

Here's my response:

This has been a great discussion and I'd like to post my analysis at this time. Obviously, my answer is not meant to be legal advice in any way, and this answer is only my opinion - nothing is for certain when prosecutors, judges and juries are involved.

The purpose of my scenario was to point out the tension that exists in Indiana's "self defense" statute between the fact that there is an express statutory statement that "there is no duty to retreat" under some circumstances, yet there is a requirement that the use of any force in self defense must be "reasonable."

Importantly, the statement that "there is no duty to retreat" is expressly conditional on "a reasonable belief" that deadly force was "necessary" to "prevent" or "terminate" the unlawful conduct. If there is no such "reasonable belief," the statement that there is "no duty to retreat" simply doesn't apply, under the express terms of the statute itself.

As many of you have pointed out, the relevant subsections of the statute are IC 35-41-3-2(a) and (b):

"Use of force to protect person or property

Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:

(1) is justified in using deadly force; and

(2) does not have a duty to retreat;

if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

(b) A person:

(1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and

if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.;"

In my scenario, I agree with several of the posters who have said that we have the attempted commission of a forcible felony (i.e., carjacking) by virtue of the BG threatening the driver through the window with the tire iron and demanding that the driver exit the vehicle.

The definition of “forcible felony” includes the “threat of force”.

“’Forcible felony’ means a felony that involves the use or threat of force against a human being, or in which there is imminent danger of bodily injury to a human being.” IC 35-41-1-11.

And the carjacking statute also includes the “threat of force”:

“Carjacking

Sec. 2. A person who knowingly or intentionally takes a motor vehicle from another person or from the presence of another person:

(1) by using or threatening the use of force on any person; or

(2) by putting any person in fear;

commits carjacking, a Class B felony. IC 35-42-5-2

However, as stated, the self defense statute only authorizes deadly force, and relinquishes the driver of a duty to retreat (and here there was a clear opportunity to retreat - the light turned green and the driver's car was the first car at the intersection) IF the driver "reasonably believe[d] that [deadly force] was necessary to prevent serious bodily injury or . . . the commission of a forcible felony" or "to prevent or terminate an unlawful entry of or attack on . . . [his] occupied motor vehicle."

Again, if no such "reasonable belief" existed, the statement that "there is no duty to retreat" simply doesn't apply.

Under my scenario, I think it is entirely plausible for a prosecutor to argue to a jury that no force whatsoever was "necessary" to "prevent serious bodily injury" or "the commission of a forcible felony" or to "prevent or terminate" the "unlawful entry of or attack on" the occupied motor vehicle - because the simple act of stepping on the gas would have "prevented" or "terminated" the unlawful conduct at issue.

That said, there are two important points to consider before we conclude that the driver would be charged, prosecuted or convicted. The first is that, as MeltonLaw and Fargo have correctly pointed out, the State bears the burden of negating at least one element of the justification of self defense "beyond a reasonable doubt," once the defendant raises the defense. Just as importantly, whether the driver had a "reasonable belief" that justified the use of deadly force can only be analyzed from the perspective of the driver himself - under the totality of the circumstances as they existed from his perspective.

As the Indiana Court of Appeals has stated,

"A defendant's belief of apparent danger does not require the danger to be actual danger, but the belief must be in good faith. . . . The question of the existence of such danger, the necessity or apparent necessity, and the amount of force necessary to be employed to resist the attack can only be determined from the standpoint of the defendant at the time and under all of the then existing circumstances. . . . Focusing on the 'standpoint of the defendant' means at least two things: 1) the trier of fact must consider the circumstances only as they appeared to the defendant, and 2) the defendant's own account of the event, although not required to be believed, is critically relevant testimony." Brand v. State, 766 N.E.2d 772 (Ind. Ct. App. 2002).

Because of these considerations, I believe that it might be difficult for the State to negate the existence of the required "reasonable belief" that deadly force was necessary under the circumstances, from the perspective of the driver. For those reasons, the driver might not even be charged.

Nonetheless, I think it is very important to point out the fact that the statutory statement that "there is no duty to retreat" is expressly contingent on the existence of a "reasonable belief" that “deadly force” was “necessary to prevent serious bodily injury . . . or the commission of a forcible felony” or that such force was “necessary to prevent or terminate” the “unlawful entry of or attack on . . . an occupied motor vehicle.” Under my scenario, the opportunity to end the encounter, and any additional criminal activity, by simply driving away casts serious doubt on the existence of any such "reasonable belief."

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

Do you have any legal problems?

I think so. You have other options available to you, which offer you perfect safety. We have no duty to retreat, but we do have to take reasonable actions, and I don't think shooting him, in the situation as described, is the best course of action. This is a situation where you can make room and time, and let the cops handle the situation, in perfect safety.

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    I think so. You have other options available to you, which offer you perfect safety. We have no duty to retreat, but we do have to take reasonable actions, and I don't think shooting him, in the situation as described, is the best course of action. This is a situation where you can make room and time, and let the cops handle the situation, in perfect safety.

+1 Floor it and go.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

Joe,

You said exactly what I was thinking.

I think the key word in your response is reasonable. I'm sure that in this situation, a prosecuter would determine that reasonable action did include retreating in this case, as you did have a clear path to move out of harm's way.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I was always trained the target of a legal shoot had to pose a threat with three characteristics: intent to cause great bodily harm, the threat needed to be imminent, and the BG needed to have a delivery system capable of backing up his intent. I just can't see a tire iron being capable of imminently delivering GBH to the occupant of a closed and locked motor vehicle. You could look at it either as having intent and weapon but not an imminent threat, or having intent and imminence but no effective delivery system. A gun, a bomb, a Molotov cocktail would all be able to do enough damage in one go to harm the occupants, but a tire iron would take multiple swings to get through. I think the intent quality is met, but to shoot him before he does anything but yell is kinda like shooting a guy with a baseball bat a block away.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    reason to believe that great bodily harm/death could occur? check.
    attack on your occupied motor vehicle? check.
    no duty to retreat? check.

i think this one really might come down to the DA. i think the best course of action would be to drive away, however i think you might be justified as the law is written. IANAL.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Yes big time legal problems. You could easily drive away at that point and that is the safer alternative. Over penetration of a shot is possible and a miss could do damage to an innocent bystander. Drive away whenever possible. Best legal and tactical scenario in this circumstance.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Light turns green, and I'm outta there to pull over in a safer location, and phone the law. For me personally, deadly force is a last resort whether I have the right to shoot or not. Killing another human being is something you will have to live with the rest of your life.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Until he smashes your window out, you should hold your fire. Until he breaks a window, he is not capable inflicting serious bodily harm/death while you are inside a locked vehicle. If your window is down, roll it up. If he breaks out your window, it will be MUCH easier to show that you were in fear for your life.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Light turns green, and I'm outta there to pull over in a safer location, and phone the law. For me personally, deadly force is a last resort whether I have the right to shoot or not. Killing another human being is something you will have to live with the rest of your life.
    I agree 100%. But the question is, "Do you have any legal problems?"

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    he gets one hit on the suv, unless its my window or the side with the kids or wife.....

then I won't hear anything for a while.....I have experience shooting in a small room without hearing protection.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'd figure you certainly have legal problems. You had a chance to disengage and chose not to. He hadn't inflicted any harm to you or your property at that time. Like Denny said, plenty of time to do something when he attacks.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Yes big time legal problems. You could easily drive away at that point and that is the safer alternative. Over penetration of a shot is possible and a miss could do damage to an innocent bystander. Drive away whenever possible. Best legal and tactical scenario in this circumstance.
    This is an excellent point. The OP is not a good shoot IMHO. If the shooting is by some chance ruled justified you are fine, legally. If the shooting is not justified any savvy prosecutor could try for criminal recklessness (or worse, if you hit a bystander) since you would no longer be protected by IC 35-41-3-2
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.
    I'm leaving out moral and tactical issues with bystanders since this is a thread about legal jeopardy.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This could send the thread in a bit different direction, so if need be perhaps another spin off could start up. I don't want to detract from the OP's intended discussion point.

Lets say things played out a bit differently. He continued to be loud and boisterous, and you were concerned that without intervention, he could cause you harm. You raise your hand gun, yell at him to back off (which he does), then pull away when the light turns.

No shots fired in this case. Would you have trouble then?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    He approaches your vehicle, pounding on the hood with his free hand and yelling at you to get out of your SUV. He screams that he likes your truck and wants to drive it home.

Don't need to shoot him, I already drove him over the minute he hit my truck. Ha!

If you're first in line, no reason to shoot, as you are not cornered. You do not need a green light to get the hell out.

And if he's outside the truck, legally it's probably the same as threatening you from the front lawn. He's close, but not close enough to kill him legally.

Good one.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Just about any shoot you will have legal issues. That is the nature of our system.

But as far Legal issues from this shoot as you described. No

Top Bottom