• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Excuse the awkwardness, but my keyboard doesn't easily support mathematical notation

Are you telling me that
    _ 8___
    2(2+2) isn't an exactly equivalent notation?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Is this from a clickbait site? :dunno: I mean, at least in the Western culture, there's only one correct answer.

This is stupid, millennials are stupid, common core is stupid. The answer is one and it seems like everyone here knows it.
    Well, everyone posting knows it.** Why would someone willing admit they don't know it? :dunno: Why do you think age has a factor on knowing order of operations?

If I ran upon this is in a code review, someone would get a dope slap because it's not crystal clear what the author intends to happen.

...hmmm... come to think of it .... I think I spoke too soon.

I pulled my trusty K&R's The C Programming Language off the shelf and I see that *, /, and % are all of the same precedence. Therefore, both 16 and 1 are acceptable answers (at least in the C programming language*).... which is why that coder would get a dope slap.

* Note, later revisions of C made have changed this, but since those are done by millennials and damned common core, they can't be trusted, so I'll stand by my answer of "there's two answers".

** After reviewing the other posts, (now why would I do that before posting?) it seems that INGO is not in agreement, and pretty much none of the posters are under 30.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    This has me perplexed. I was taught PEMDAS and the answer is 16.

8/2(2+2)

P (2+2) = 4
    E none
    M 2 X 4 = 8
    D 8 / 8 = 1
    A was in perens
    S none

So I guess I'm wrong.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    This doesn’t have anything to do with “how you were taught.” Math equations have one, concrete answer. This one is 16.

EDIT: There is apparently a lot of confusion across the web, but I stand by the answer being 16.

Last edited:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    This has me perplexed. I was taught PEMDAS and the answer is 16.

8/2(2+2)

P (2+2) = 4
    E none
    M 2 X 4 = 8
    D 8 / 8 = 1
    A was in perens
    S none

So I guess I'm wrong.

Multiplication and division are in the same level you go left to right to see which is first, same with addition and subtraction.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That is what I always thought, but people who may be smarter than me get me confused.

I need to get a dose of narcissistic I'm always right syndrome.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This doesn’t have anything to do with “how you were taught.” Math equations have one, concrete answer. This one is 16.

s-l1000.jpg

As I posted, I was quick to say "there's only one answer!" - Then I thought about it.

Mathematical concepts are concrete, how they are expressed in written form are not.

In 1978 when Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie basically created the language that is the foundation of modern computing even they didn't specify which comes first, division or multiplication.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    As I posted, I was quick to say "there's only one answer!" - Then I thought about it.

Mathematical concepts are concrete, how they are expressed in written form are not.

In 1978 when Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie basically created the language that is the foundation of modern computing even they didn't specify which comes first, division or multiplication.

Oh I've waited so long to be able to say this.

Oh sec... I have to prepare.

Ahem.

source.gif

We're talking about math, which is absolute. Not talking about programming.

You calculate in the order they appear, not the order you want.

Also

Arithmetic in C

Rules of Operator Precedence

It follows the same rules as we earlier described

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    So I was Right the first time? The peer pressure from the cool kids bit me in the butt!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You calculate in the order they appear, not the order you want.

Also

Arithmetic in C

Rules of Operator Precedence

It follows the same rules as we earlier described.
    I had to go back and see which side you're on. (16)

Wait - I think I am wrong.... (If I was T.lex, I believe my response would be "Dammit, Janet.") :facepalm:

Division and multiplication are of the same precedence, but, "If there are several, they’re evaluated left to right.", which yields 16, but not because of PEMDAS.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    8÷2(2+2)
    8÷2(4) I still see parentheses that we need to get rid of BEFORE any other L/R M/D rules.
    NOT Written 8÷2x4 and NOT
    8÷24

Therefore
    8÷8=1

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think I see the confusion now....

the [FONT=&amp]÷ [/FONT]denotes straight division. Meaning, it is processed left to right along with multiplication, using the normal order of operations.

Some folks are conflating [FONT=&amp]÷[/FONT] with a slash, or more importantly, with a "fraction" slash. Meaning, items to the left are in the numerator, and items to the right are in the denominator.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think I see the confusion now....

the [FONT=&]÷ [/FONT]denotes straight division. Meaning, it is processed left to right along with multiplication, using the normal order of operations.

Some folks are conflating [FONT=&]÷[/FONT] with a slash, or more importantly, with a "fraction" slash. Meaning, items to the left are in the numerator, and items to the right are in the denominator.

Right, and that's only a viable assumption if everything else is in brackets, which it isn't. So we have to read the problem as it was presented.

Top Bottom