Can you 'survive' 72 hours -OR- will you just whine the whole time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    A few days ago there were some massive storms that rolled through the greater Chicagoland area on Monday night. At the height of the storm over 500,000 homes were without power. In Northwest Indiana we had tornadoes devastate a few neighborhoods (Munster to Griffith) but most of the problems were downed trees blocking off access and lack of power. The water supply was also interrupted in some communities, boil orders issued.

So my brother and I were talking. . . he and I have some different views. He lives in Munster but lives in a part of town that was not affected by the tornado, I moved out and live 20 miles south on some rural land.

I have 7 family members who live in Munster, IN. 4 of them lost power, had serious issues with downed trees (landing on their homes), etc. All 7 had no drinkable water. My brother was one of the lucky ones who had power and zero damage, but he had no water. So he tried to help out the 4 who were most affected, and I give him credit.

BUT . . . the 4 who had issues, none of them had a generator. None of them had even a gallon of water. None of them had a chain saw. None of them had given much thought to anything!!! Nor had my brother. But my brother did have a generator, it came with the house when he bought the house. The people who owned the house HAD actually given this stuff some thought. They bought a modest sized portable generator, they installed a jumper-wire connector to power the house from the generator, they even put a small concrete pad outside the garage to sit the generator on top of during a power outage and they installed a heavy steel "D" loop to the side of the house and had a heavy chain/padlock to lock the generator to the house so nobody could steal it. Of the 7 relatives living in that city, he was the only one with a generator at his home.

So my brother is 1/16-th prepared for a minor problem. My other relatives are apparently hopeless.

He takes his generator to one of the other relatives homes, but not until after he calls me to get instructions on how to use it! He could not start it. Apparently he didn't know about the fuel cut off valve under the tank Anyway my brother and the other relative are all freaked out because there were 'looters' in the area, and generators were a prize they rarely passed up!!! No I did not offer to lend him a gun, he is dangerous to himself and his family with anything more mechanical than duct tape, besides he believes my guns should be banned.

So seriously, am I expecting too much out of people to believe that they should be able to 'survive' for 72 hours?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm willing to bet all had water, they just didn't use their heads. Water Heater is a good source for 40+ gallons of potable water. Then get water out of the top of the toilets (not the bowl). That is enough water for a decent sized family to last a week.

I've got 24 gallons stored. Enough food and power out cooking facilities. Chain saw (whose blade needs sharpened, but would work if needed.) Always at least 5 gallons of gas. Have a generator in the plans, but not purchased yet. I do have a 750W inverter which could be pressed into service with the cars for certain functions if needed.

3 days without power would be fine, but Amy wouldn't like it. :)

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    i was prepared for the damage. I have a chainsaw,generator,food for 6 months water for atleast 4 months (right now)and a bob bag as well as gas.after Katrina i psent alot of time thinking about a disaster. But alot of people are only interested in games and movies these days and they expect the government to give them what they need when a problem arrives. I think some people around here have sat up and taken notice now.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    72 hours, no water, no power, at home?

No problem.

Yup. People have survived longer than that while stuck in debris of demolished edifices under tons of concrete.

Now, if you say 72 days, that would suck.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I look forward to these 72 hr mini disasters. We got snowed in a few years ago, lost power last summer for a couple of days and got flooded in in early June this year... Being a little prepared for events like this is good fun, makes the neighbors a little jealous when we have all the lights on and the tv on..

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    When you said 72 hours, I was thinking more along the lines of in the middle of the woods. 72 hours in a built up area, shiiiiiiiiiiit son, thats not a problem.

In the woods, just give me a good fix blade or my CRKT and my Gerber and some 550 cord, maybe my ruck sack with an MRE (I have many sitting in my closet) and my fart sack and I would be set.

In the built up areas, I would have no problem even with no power or water.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    72 Hours .... pahhh.... I could litterally sleep though that. Anyone remember the Ice Storm of '95? We were without "real power" for almost a month here in the back end of nowhere. It has been awhile since we've had a hard winter. HMMMMMM

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can last 72 hours just fine. We had close a 24 hour experiment earlier this year when a storm caused our main circuit breaker to open, but I didn't check it and assumed the power was out all of town again (like it was twice before in two weeks).

Whether or not I whine will depend on how hot it is outside. If it's winter, I'm fine, even without heat in the house. If it's summer . . . prepare for some heavy-duty whining like you've never heard before.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    years ago 72 hours would be no worries. now days, with my youngest a strapping teen ager, i don't think my reserve food supply would last 72 hours. hehe.

and i can already hear rhino whining because he's out of peanut butter.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    and i can already hear rhino whining because he's out of peanut butter.

That's not going to happen.

I might run out of either crunchy or smooth, but never both at the same time.

But the whining is inevitable if I do run low on either.

Actually, if you have plenty of water, surviving on a peanut butter for 72 hours would be more like "inconvenient" than survival.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Actually, if you have plenty of water, surviving on a peanut butter for 72 hours would be more like "inconvenient" than survival.
    If you robbed the toilets for the water, peanut butter diet would probably be more "convenient" than you think!:):

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    IMO 72 hours without power, convenience stores, gas etc would be an epic disaster in most major urban areas (Detroit, Chicago, New York, LA, etc). Add looting, violence and general mayhem that accompanies crisis in urban areas and the local police would not be able to handle a prolonged crisis, resulting in the activation of the National Guard. Now, to a country boy, 72 hours is just the first big snowfall of the season or Spring storms ;) A back up generator is on my must get list.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    That's not going to happen.

I might run out of either crunchy or smooth, but never both at the same time.

But the whining is inevitable if I do run low on either.

If you run out of crunchy in a serious emergency, just drop some bugs in the smooth. Not quite the same, but it is an emergency after all.

A back up generator is on my must get list.

I saw an interesting one at SAMS. Under $1k, a Honda motor, 6500W with 220 V capability. Not sure who makes the electronics though. Seemed like it was worth a second look when I have the money for it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    My subdivision will have to degenerate into sectarian violence before I will even bat an eye.:D

I agree with 4Sarge though. 72 hours in urban America is far different than 72 hours in the countryside. 72 hours (given general attitude of alot of city folks) is ad-infinitum, aka, lets go loot the Wilsons, they have food. Disgusting how people that consider themselves more civilized due to Starbucks, SUVs and Cable TV become nothing but animals when even the most unnecessary of items becomes something to kill over. That be the case, then they arent neighbors, co-workers, occasional conversations anymore, they are animals and to be treated as such.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    If the gas stays turned on, I could comfortably survive for several months. If the gas goes out, with the Coleman stove and fuel I have stored, plus the propane for the grille that I always keep on hand I could survive comfortably for a month. I think with the food stores and available water I could rough it for about a year before I would have to start hunting/fishing. I have 12 assorted fruit and have enough seed left over usually for another year's garden. So I think I could get by longer than that.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom